HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 19, 2008, 09:21 PM
MSgt, USAF Ret.
USA, WA, Spokane
Joined Nov 2003
1,185 Posts
Build Log
Wilga 80 1:3.5 from Frisch Modellbau

I'm building this plane for a friend. I decided to do a build thread because I end up learning better/different ways of working through a build. Plus the owner can keep track of my progress.

The owner lives in Canada; let's just call him "Ron". Ron brought the plane down last year for a weekend get together/build. We were able to cap the leading and trailing edges on the wings and stabs and build the landing gear mount and that was about it. He returned again this past weekend and we begain where we left off. He worked on the wings and I worked on the fuse. All the hardwood formers are installed in the fuse and the ailerons are almost ready to install on the wings. In the photos you'll notice I built a jig to hold the fuse while I install the rudder support.

Does anyone have any recommedations on the best location for the rudder and elevator servos?

Work may slow down now that winter is just around the corner and I don't have cheap heat in my garage. (been using two electric heaters)

Jim
Jim Frahm is offline Find More Posts by Jim Frahm
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 20, 2008, 05:13 AM
TOOLED up!
Creswick, Australia.
Joined May 2007
477 Posts
Hi Jim, what will you guys be using for power?

Daryl
Daryl Wallis57 is offline Find More Posts by Daryl Wallis57
Old Nov 20, 2008, 10:47 AM
MSgt, USAF Ret.
USA, WA, Spokane
Joined Nov 2003
1,185 Posts
Power will be a DA 100 twin with canister style mufflers. We're also using twin LiPo receiver packs passing through a voltage regulator and a power expander. I believe the plan is to use a 2.4 radio but I'm not sure which one. I have the motor mounted on a test stand and I plan on making a video of the brake-in just so Ron can see it.

Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl Wallis57
Hi Jim, what will you guys be using for power?

Daryl
Old Nov 20, 2008, 02:44 PM
New York
Joined Feb 2002
2,965 Posts
Jim, what do you think of the overall quality of the Frisch kit? Were the wings pre-sheeted with obechi? Other comments?

TIA,

Steve
SteveR is offline Find More Posts by SteveR
Old Nov 20, 2008, 04:48 PM
MSgt, USAF Ret.
USA, WA, Spokane
Joined Nov 2003
1,185 Posts
Steve,

You really get what you pay for! The quality is outstanding, the wings were pre-sheeted with obechi; the builder only needs to intall the leading and trailing edge caps and then sand to correct shape. The plans are in German with a small supplement in English. Ron purchased the deluxe package which included almost everything except motor and radio gear. I'd recommend doing the same just to save on rounding up everything else you would need.

Here's a link to their web sight. http://frisch.flugmodellbau.de/

Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR
Jim, what do you think of the overall quality of the Frisch kit? Were the wings pre-sheeted with obechi? Other comments?

TIA,

Steve
Old Nov 21, 2008, 07:45 AM
New York
Joined Feb 2002
2,965 Posts
Thanks Jim, looking forward to your continued thread. Maybe if the Euro continues to fall against the dollar....

Regards,

Steve
SteveR is offline Find More Posts by SteveR
Old Nov 24, 2008, 06:23 PM
MSgt, USAF Ret.
USA, WA, Spokane
Joined Nov 2003
1,185 Posts
Here's the latest update with photos attached. I have a question for other Wilga owners/builders. The wing tube sleeve for the fuselage was only about 5" long and the fuselage is about 13" wide. I've never sean a wing tube sleeve for the fuse in two pieces, it usually spans the width of the fuse; any ideas?

Work is on hold until I get heat in my shop.

Jim
Old Nov 24, 2008, 06:44 PM
"Fly"Fisherman
Guntersville, AL
Joined Jun 2004
641 Posts
catch-air,
There's no problem in splitting the spar tube in the fuz. A lot of German planes just use a short 1"-2" piece right where the tube goes thru the fuz sides. All the load is concentrated where the tube enters the fuz and thru the spar tube itself. The sleeve merely aligns everything.
Asher
Asher Carmichael is offline Find More Posts by Asher Carmichael
Old Nov 24, 2008, 08:31 PM
MSgt, USAF Ret.
USA, WA, Spokane
Joined Nov 2003
1,185 Posts
Asher,

Thanks for the info, that's what we thought but the plans show a full lenght tube.

Jim
Old Dec 01, 2008, 12:24 AM
MSgt, USAF Ret.
USA, WA, Spokane
Joined Nov 2003
1,185 Posts
Here's the latest! I've removed the windows, installed the wing tubes, and installed the last fuse former. The windows are only rough cut for now, I'll sand to the final shape. Man there are a lot of windows.

Jim
Old Jul 29, 2009, 09:04 PM
South of the Rio Grande..
Chile - South America
Joined Apr 2008
102 Posts
Whatever happened with this build ? I'm very interested since I'm planning to buy the 1/3,5 version.
gonzalo38 is offline Find More Posts by gonzalo38
Old Jul 30, 2009, 05:31 PM
MSgt, USAF Ret.
USA, WA, Spokane
Joined Nov 2003
1,185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzalo38
Whatever happened with this build ? I'm very interested since I'm planning to buy the 1/3,5 version.
Life has gotten in the way of the build! I managed to get the motor on a test stand and set the carb. I hope to continue the build sometime this fall.

Good luck with your build,
Jim
Old Dec 30, 2009, 07:33 PM
Smoke on , go !
Verona - Italy
Joined Jan 2007
2,522 Posts
Guys do u know where I can find a Wilga 1/6 scale or smaller? (with trasparent canopy, not foam)
Thanks
zaguruinzasky is offline Find More Posts by zaguruinzasky
Old Dec 31, 2009, 10:49 AM
Gasbags & Gussets
Riverside, Ca
Joined Feb 2009
1,157 Posts
Pzl-104 e-power kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaguruinzasky View Post
Guys do u know where I can find a Wilga 1/6 scale or smaller? (with trasparent canopy, not foam)
Thanks
Check this out, hopefully it is what you are looking for.

http://www.espritmodel.com/index.asp...OD&ProdID=2871

By the way my wife and i visited Verona in 2001 and really enjoyed our time there and in Venice, Sienna, and Florence.

john s.
jswain is offline Find More Posts by jswain
Old Dec 31, 2009, 11:05 AM
Smoke on , go !
Verona - Italy
Joined Jan 2007
2,522 Posts
Thanks a lotlotlot John, I really love this plane, I saw that's a kit, I made a lot of kit so there should be no problem but the real problem as usual is time, do you know any ARF version of it? How long can this build take in your opinion, 20 to 30 nights?

About Italy, I traveled almost everywhere arounf the globe but yes, here the cities and the countriside are stunning and there is an incredible variety of locations, in a day you can visit roman cities, lakes, seaside, mountains, medioeval cities.. everything is close..
zaguruinzasky is offline Find More Posts by zaguruinzasky