HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 24, 2008, 10:53 PM
the other matt
AZ
Joined Jul 2008
445 Posts
Discussion
anyone ever use their phone?

I have a samsung scha 990 phone that has a 3MP camera on it. It is not a "true" 3mp but it is much better then any other camera phone I have seen used, not too light, not too heavy, and fairly thin. It has a stand along mode that turns off the transmitter and reciever phone portion but allows the mp3 player and the camera to work, as well as 1G of memory to allow for plenty of time. I have had this one almost 2 years so the battery is starting to age and I thought about using the $5/month insurance I pay to get another one. It is covered if it is damaged or lost so............ Anyone else done this?
ttocs388 is offline Find More Posts by ttocs388
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 24, 2008, 11:09 PM
Yumastan RCAPA.NET
Joined Feb 2003
5,733 Posts
I've flown the iphone other the Nokia N95
patrickegan is offline Find More Posts by patrickegan
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 25, 2008, 03:22 AM
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Australia, VIC, Rosebud
Joined Feb 2007
1,971 Posts
Yes, but found it too difficult to activate the start key, & get it in the plane.
It was so easy to bump another key while trying to mount it, that most times it didn't run. Beside pic quality is poor.

Kev
Berkie is offline Find More Posts by Berkie
Old Aug 25, 2008, 07:18 AM
Oxford Panic
United Kingdom, Oxford
Joined Feb 2003
3,637 Posts
We once used a Nokia phone set to video and strapped to the bottom of a Zagi to locate a downed model in crops, it worked too. The model was found as the result of watching the video back on a computer screen where a white dot could clearly be seen.

Andy.
AndyOne is offline Find More Posts by AndyOne
Old Aug 25, 2008, 09:14 AM
Joined Mar 2006
236 Posts
Yes I used my Nokia N 72 on my plane, but it was my very first attempt to attach a camera to my plane. I didn't want to risk my Sony Cybershot DSC W 80.

From that experience, I can tell you that images are not good compared to cameras & you struggle attaching the phone safely to the plane.

Joshi Dharmesh
joshidharmesh is offline Find More Posts by joshidharmesh
Old Aug 25, 2008, 11:16 AM
the other matt
AZ
Joined Jul 2008
445 Posts
my phone is almost more camera then phone. All you need to do is flip it open, rotate the display and then fold it flat again and the camera is automatically activated and the phones display is now the camera display. Hold down the button on the bottom for 2 secs and it is in video mode. Push once to turn on, once to turn off. As I said it is not the best quality video, but it is great for a camera-phone... I had thought about a couple of well placed pieces of tape to hold it on the bottom. Let me double check my insurance but otherwise I will have to try this out.
ttocs388 is offline Find More Posts by ttocs388
Old Aug 25, 2008, 09:53 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2004
7,056 Posts
As cheaply as you can buy a small digital camera these days, why would you want to use a phone which is a lot harder to mount and setup?
randall1959 is offline Find More Posts by randall1959
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)