HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 07, 2005, 05:49 AM
usa
Joined Dec 2004
492 Posts
Whoops!
Ultra vs Super

what is the difference between an Ultra stick and a Super stick?
Rhondas is offline Find More Posts by Rhondas
Last edited by Rhondas; Jan 20, 2013 at 09:40 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 07, 2005, 06:23 AM
Joined Jun 2002
257 Posts
The level of quality.

The Super is a typical 80's ARF: built from questionable wood, covered with sticky-back shelf paper, worthless hardware. Its an airplane, and it flies. That's about all you can say for it.

The Ultra is a very nicely-done ARF: good wood, the best covering (UltraCote; Great Planes top shelf ARFs have MonoKote), excellent hardware, better parts fit, etc., etc.

I have had both the models pictured (well, my Ultra Stik 40 was the red/blue version, but its the same model). Simply no comparison. The Super Stick is a good candidate for a fun-fly airplane, or other type of flying where you're not concerned about pride of ownership or the model's longevity. Mine "squatted" when it flew. At first I thought it was tail heavy, then figured out it was the stab incidence. I made it a bit better by shimming the wing, and this was AFTER I had stripped off that cheap crap covering and re-covered with U-Cote, but soon tired of messing with the model.

Horizon makes a big deal about the quad flap option on the Ultra. I did that on mine, and frankly never used it after trying it out. Perhaps a hard core flip-flopper has a need for it, but the airplane is such an honest flyer it doesn't need flaps. If I did another one I would install the conventional strip ailerons. You gets parts for either version in the kit.

The Ultra is the logical progression from the old classic Ugly Stik of the 60s. It is a good, inexpensive sport airplane that will do just about anything asked of it. And it looks as good as it flies.

Don't waste your money on a Super Stik. I'd try a VMAR kit before I bought another Super Stik... and that should tell you something...
Steve Campbell is offline Find More Posts by Steve Campbell
Old Jun 07, 2005, 06:32 AM
Joined Jun 2002
257 Posts
I just saw the other thread. You would be wise to listen to what those guys are telling you; the Super Stik is junk, period.

And no, your 70 Surpass will NOT fly that lead sled (Super Stik 60) with any authority. Clipping the wings will increase the wing loading and make an already sluggish flyer close to unmanageable by a rookie.

My UltraStik 40 had a 70 Surpass. This is a most excellent combination. The kit motor mount is a massive chunk of metal (the only real departure from excellence, IMO, in an otherwise great model) that needs to go if you're using a four stroke. The Great Planes nylon adjustable mount is a proper replacement, and fits the 70 Surpass nicely.
Steve Campbell is offline Find More Posts by Steve Campbell
Old Jun 07, 2005, 10:09 PM
usa
Joined Dec 2004
492 Posts
thanks guys I think Im stuck with the crappy super but it will be my first new fs70 4 cyc and I can break it in on this slead, Ill try some lightening tricks with my hole saw. and some recovering
Rhondas is offline Find More Posts by Rhondas