HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 11, 2014, 05:45 AM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2010
961 Posts
Question
Advanced wing design

Is there a simple way of making a 2 meter thin profile fast correx wing, i haven't had any success with my 1.7 meter wing i made, it came out perfect looked right, profile was fine, but when i flew it, it was very unstable in the air, perhaps it was related to weight, but i'm not sure. I still have the wing, landed safely with it, but would never use it again, perhaps it's a wing balance issue or the semi double spar i added ?

I'd rather like to use a thin spar than to taper a spar for i do not have equipment make a tapered spar, anything off the shelf i could use or an easy way to make a strong thin spar, then i was thinking tapering the wing it self at the TE as to make it more of a speed wing.
Axefly is offline Find More Posts by Axefly
Last edited by Axefly; Apr 11, 2014 at 05:50 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 12, 2014, 07:41 PM
Closet Sloper
Australia, NSW, Gurley
Joined Dec 2004
439 Posts
Go to your local golf club and ask if the have any old carbon golf club shafts or you could try arrow shafts.
adrian222 is online now Find More Posts by adrian222
Old Apr 13, 2014, 04:25 AM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2010
961 Posts
Thanks Adrian but those golf clubs aren't uniform, thick at one end and thin on the other, i dunno perhaps you get some that is straight all the way however i don't think there is a 2 meter golf club, arrows will most likely not come in 2 meters length either.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 08:29 AM
Closet Sloper
Australia, NSW, Gurley
Joined Dec 2004
439 Posts
Sorry mate thought you were looking for a tapered spar,wouldn't be hard to join them to get the right length.
adrian222 is online now Find More Posts by adrian222
Old Apr 13, 2014, 01:14 PM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2010
961 Posts
No Heck tapered could work for sure, thanks i'll see if there are any shops selling them, perhaps a pawn shop would sell a few clubs for cheap... will go see. I doubt the golf shop would sell me cheap golf rods but i guess i could try and ask... again thanks....
Old Apr 15, 2014, 05:54 PM
LaGrange, GA
Joined Jun 2009
1,750 Posts
Some folks have had success doubling up 4mm correx or making an I-beam structure out of it for spars. Don't know if it'd work for a 2m wing, but might be worth a try. Then you could cut the spar whatever shape or taper you wanted.
JohnsPop is offline Find More Posts by JohnsPop
Old Yesterday, 07:21 AM
Crash Test Dummy
Brunei, Brunei-Muara, Masin
Joined Nov 2013
46 Posts
Fishing rods use tapered carbon rods, you can buy them in all sorts of tapering diameters and usually in 600-700mm lengths.

Something like this: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/redwo...496924727.html - you can order however many segments to suit the length you need

I am a kite flyer, as well as an RC buff and always have a ton of carbon spars on hand. My biggest kite has a 1.8M x 6mm 2-piece carbon span, joined with a CA-glued ferrule (a piece of snug-fitting solid carbon rod inserted inside the tube) The loadings on that kite in 20knots of wind would be as great, or greater, than an RC wing and I haven't broken it yet.

For plane wings, a round tube is a PITA to fit, so you could use something like this: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Crab-...847370996.html - 400mm x 3 x 3 with a 2mm hole - just buy some 2mm solid rod to ferrule it using CA. But I would just make up some 2-ply coroplast formers with the right diameter hole drilled through them and the carbon rod hot-glued in place.

But, with the advent of quads, there is a lot of large-diameter tube available too: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-...702895408.html These puppies could make some seriously long and strong spars.
immike is online now Find More Posts by immike