HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 26, 2014, 09:09 AM
Joined Mar 2014
4 Posts
Discussion
Best hovertime on e-calc with quad and 2kg payload

Hi!
I'm trying to find the "best" FPV quad I can with a reasonable price (under 1000USD) using e-calc.

All I really want to carry with me is as a gopro, a gimbal, and a FPV camera. So I'm thinking that I should be able to keep the frame and FPV gear under 2kg.

Using e-calc I have been able to get at most 15 minutes of hover time with a quad.
Anyone able to do any better?

SwedenByAir is offline Find More Posts by SwedenByAir
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 27, 2014, 04:44 AM
Joined Mar 2014
4 Posts
Tried to do some estimation of what a quad could weigh with a gimbal and gopro and arrived at this:

Does this seem reasonable, have I missed anything or are any numbers way off?
Old Mar 27, 2014, 07:11 AM
Joined Mar 2014
4 Posts
Looking at just the frame and FPV parts of my list I should be able to have the frame, gimbal, gopro, and FPV gear weigh in at around 1400grams.

Using this, the best I have been able to achieve in e-calc is 19 min hover and close to 10 minutes flight (without going overboard on anything)

Old Mar 28, 2014, 03:15 AM
United States, VA, Blacksburg
Joined Aug 2010
106 Posts
If you change your charge state to full on the battery cell listing your time will go up. Also vary your battery capacity and quantity, you may be surprised to find that less mah on the aircraft gets you longer flight times. The key to long endurance flight is big slow props and light weight. Also check the actual specs of the battery you want to use vs what is shown in e-calc. I find that the batteries I use (zippy compact) are lighter than listed.
jstiltner is offline Find More Posts by jstiltner