HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 24, 2014, 11:02 AM
Joined Mar 2014
35 Posts
Discussion
looking for advise on quadcopter

I have flown mico copters over the last year or two and recently tore into one for maintenance (had to re-attach one of the gears). I have been looking a quads for a few months and not completely sure what direction to go next. I initial thought to pickup the Phantom but it comes with a price ($475 apx). The more I researched, the more I discovered other options - less pricey. I do not might getting my hands dirty but at the same time would like something relatively reliable. I stumbled on the v262 which I thought would be great until I read various posts about the motors. Apparently, the motors average 20-25 flights? That seems like a short life span for a motor. The price is low and I might be able to overcome replacing motors every 20-25 flights providing I could find a US distributor. Whatever I end up with, I plan to attach a mobius for aerial vids.

I am curious to know what you think. What is a good starting quad for someone willing to get somewhat dirty?

Thanks!
IndyFlyers is offline Find More Posts by IndyFlyers
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 24, 2014, 11:15 AM
Groovin', not fishin'
United States, CA, Twain Harte
Joined Feb 2014
143 Posts
I am relatively new to the RC helicopter realm and have been told, if you don't mind the small size, that the Blade Nano QX is an outstanding quad and a good "stepping stone" before branching into collective pitch helis, or larger, more fragile quads. It is inexpensive; around $100, less transmitter, and about $20 more with an included transmitter. If you want something larger, there are also the Blade 200 QX and 350 QX quads which are larger (the 200 is about $225, the 350, $425 - 450 or so) and are also BNF or RTF, depending on your needs. I hope this helps.

Steve
bassman12350 is offline Find More Posts by bassman12350
Old Mar 24, 2014, 12:21 PM
Joined Mar 2014
35 Posts
Thanks Steve,

Do you happen to know if all motors need replacement at some relatively short point? As mentioned, the v262 seems to get around 20-25 flights, but I am curious to know if that is the same for other quads.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 12:27 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
20,712 Posts
A decent quad with brushless motors is going to cost you at least $300. With quads, you really do get what you pay for. If you cut corners, you won't be happy and will be upgrading before long. I have a Phantom V1 and you can find them for around $420. I like Blade helis (I have 5 of them), but the Phantom is a huge step in quality above the 350Qx. I've had the Phantom for over a year and fly it regularly. I have added prop protectors and bought several more batteries. That's all I've done. I got a little grass stain on a couple props from landing in tall grass. Otherwise, it's still perfect.
Balr14 is online now Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Mar 24, 2014, 01:01 PM
Joined Mar 2014
35 Posts
Thanks Balr14,

Any motor issues with Phantom?
Old Mar 24, 2014, 01:29 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
20,712 Posts
None that I'm aware of. But, some people have upgraded to more powerful motors for aerobatic stunts, and very heavy payloads. Mine are over a year old and hardly get warm.

You could always build a quad, but it's not for everyone and ultimately is a ton effort and hassle for little or no savings. I've built 3 and am building another. The money I spent on the Phantom was much better spent. You could check out Armattan quads. He will build you a nice durable aerobatic quad that won't cost you a fortune.

Those little micro quads with brushed motors are fun for awhile, but their limitations show pretty quickly and those damned motors get to be a real pain in the ass. That being said, I also have the Blade Nano Qx and it rocks. It's a blast to fly, especially indoors and is extremely durable. But, it will require replacement motors on a regular basis, though not nearly as often as any other micros.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 09:42 PM
Joined Dec 2013
81 Posts
If you don't mind the smaller quad like balr and bassman said the nano qx is very durable and I have been flying the stew out of mine all winter Knock on wood but have not had any motor issues at all. The thing just keeps going I love it and will teach you a lot before going to cp.
sprint11 is offline Find More Posts by sprint11
Old Mar 26, 2014, 03:15 PM
Joined Mar 2014
35 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprint11 View Post
If you don't mind the smaller quad like balr and bassman said the nano qx is very durable and I have been flying the stew out of mine all winter Knock on wood but have not had any motor issues at all. The thing just keeps going I love it and will teach you a lot before going to cp.
I like the thought of going small as well. I have been flying a micro heli on and off for the last year or two, but would like something a bit bigger to carry a mobius. I decided to order up the v262 along with a handful of replacement parts.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 09:11 AM
United Kingdom
Joined Dec 2012
575 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
None that I'm aware of. But, some people have upgraded to more powerful motors for aerobatic stunts, and very heavy payloads. Mine are over a year old and hardly get warm.

You could always build a quad, but it's not for everyone and ultimately is a ton effort and hassle for little or no savings. I've built 3 and am building another. The money I spent on the Phantom was much better spent. You could check out Armattan quads. He will build you a nice durable aerobatic quad that won't cost you a fortune.

Those little micro quads with brushed motors are fun for awhile, but their limitations show pretty quickly and those damned motors get to be a real pain in the ass. That being said, I also have the Blade Nano Qx and it rocks. It's a blast to fly, especially indoors and is extremely durable. But, it will require replacement motors on a regular basis, though not nearly as often as any other micros.
How long are you seeing out of your motors on the nQX?

I have a V252 here, and it must of seen somewhere around 80-90 flights. Still no sign of failure or lack of punch, but I expect them to fail soon based on other brushed motors experience I've had.

I'll be trying the Chaoli 0720 motors next even though I'm happy with the stock.
ZeRoEXPO is online now Find More Posts by ZeRoEXPO
Old Mar 27, 2014, 09:51 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
20,712 Posts
I don't really count number of flights, but I've had the NQX since they were released and fly it often, so conservatively 150 flights, although it could easily be twice that number. I have not replaced any motors yet, but I have two that are starting to feel "bad". My motors got broken in under water (NQX fell in swimming pool). I also have the MQX, have since they were released (2 - 3 years). I've replaced two motors so far. I've let lots of people fly it who don't know how, so it gets the crap beat out of it; crashed at least 300 times. My grandson has the V949 and it's not even close to being as durable, or having motors that last as long.
Last edited by Balr14; Mar 27, 2014 at 09:57 AM.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 10:51 PM
Joined Dec 2013
81 Posts
Ya I don't know a number of flights on my qx either but have flown it all winter and four batteries in a row a lot of evenings. Never know when they might go but not even showing signs of weakness yet. I have really been impressed with this little thing. Enjoy flying it way more than the msr for sure. Its quick, responsive just a blast.
sprint11 is offline Find More Posts by sprint11
Old Mar 29, 2014, 10:50 PM
Joined Sep 2013
34 Posts
Another data point: my Nano QX has survived over 160 flights on the original motors. Most of those flights featured multiple crashes. Some of my batteries are puffed and useless after hardcore flights but motors keep on spinning.
timepilot is offline Find More Posts by timepilot
Old Apr 07, 2014, 10:52 PM
Joined Mar 2014
35 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
A decent quad with brushless motors is going to cost you at least $300. With quads, you really do get what you pay for. If you cut corners, you won't be happy and will be upgrading before long. I have a Phantom V1 and you can find them for around $420. I like Blade helis (I have 5 of them), but the Phantom is a huge step in quality above the 350Qx. I've had the Phantom for over a year and fly it regularly. I have added prop protectors and bought several more batteries. That's all I've done. I got a little grass stain on a couple props from landing in tall grass. Otherwise, it's still perfect.
I have been experimenting with the v262 and having fun, however you were correct ... I am ready to upgrade.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 02:15 PM
United Kingdom, England, Central Bedfordshire
Joined Dec 2012
862 Posts
HI mate hobby king do some small brushless quads take look the smallest as kk2.1 fitted ready to fly in ally case too
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...rol_Board.html
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...y_to_Fly_.html
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._WII_BNF_.html
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...otor_ARF_.html
holtneil is offline Find More Posts by holtneil