HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 30, 2014, 01:29 AM
Joined Jan 2014
72 Posts
Discussion
Basic question regarding plugging in battery to charger

On the hobbyzone charger all I do is plug in the balance lead of my 3 cell 11.1v lipo battery, and it charges through that.
But on my imax charger I plug in the balance lead and the power connector.
Why the difference?
Thanks
venton is offline Find More Posts by venton
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 30, 2014, 02:34 AM
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
11,134 Posts
The main leads can handle more amps than the balance leads, so with higher-power chargers and batteries, the charging current goes through the main leads and the balance leads are used to monitor cell voltage and bleed off (if necessary) to maintain balance.

So, for batteries requiring small charge amps (I don't know the rating of balance wires, but let's say 1 or 2 amps), charging through only the balance leads will be just as quick as when using the main leads too.
abenn is online now Find More Posts by abenn
Old Jan 30, 2014, 02:38 AM
Joined Jan 2014
72 Posts
Ok thanks
venton is offline Find More Posts by venton
Old Jan 30, 2014, 06:03 PM
United States, CA, Livermore
Joined Jan 2012
898 Posts
my ichargers will not operate if the main plug is not connected. Since my i306 can dish out 30amps, this keeps you from pushing 30 amps through the small gauge balance wires. The main wires handle most of the current while the balance wires handle a few hundred milliamps of balance current.
rhodesengr is offline Find More Posts by rhodesengr