HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 15, 2014, 10:30 AM
Thermal Hunter
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Dec 2010
31 Posts
Discussion
Carbon fiber Tail Booms

Does anyone have a source for CF Tail Booms?
69classic is offline Find More Posts by 69classic
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 15, 2014, 10:40 AM
AMA 5285 LSF 8104
United States, OR, Hood River
Joined Aug 2008
339 Posts
http://www.mountainmodels.com/produc...products_id=42

Mountain Models sells the Bubble Dancer boom. I have three.

Scott
Aquila Guy is offline Find More Posts by Aquila Guy
Old Jan 15, 2014, 05:38 PM
Albuq, NMex USA
Joined Jan 2001
504 Posts
https://goodwinds.com/carbon/wrapped/tail-booms.html

Also, if you do not care if your tail-booms are not tapered, ebay has vendors that sell nice booms that are about .6" in diameter and 34" long, weighing .5 oz. per foot.
MikeC is offline Find More Posts by MikeC
Last edited by MikeC; Jan 15, 2014 at 05:43 PM.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 07:10 PM
Joined Oct 2004
502 Posts
Just got one last week from Kennedy Composites , roughly measures 1 1/4 to 9/16 x 36 . It's just about a drop in fit for a Grand Esprit .
jetmaven is offline Find More Posts by jetmaven
Old Jan 15, 2014, 10:00 PM
USA, MO, Ozark
Joined Nov 2006
1,435 Posts
carbon fiber crappie pole from walmart 10 bucks - 3 sections
ozmo01 is offline Find More Posts by ozmo01
Old Jan 15, 2014, 11:20 PM
Dean
USA, CO, Littleton
Joined Apr 2005
3,654 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmo01 View Post
carbon fiber crappie pole from walmart 10 bucks - 3 sections
How long are the sections?
A10FLYR is offline Find More Posts by A10FLYR
Old Jan 17, 2014, 06:34 PM
Utah
Joined Aug 2005
152 Posts
Carbon tail booms

Subscribe
Oldokie is offline Find More Posts by Oldokie
Old Jan 18, 2014, 06:33 AM
Make Flying Fun
United States, MD, Lutherville-Timonium
Joined May 2003
1,422 Posts
Troy seems to have lots of different booms !

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=83705
KevinSharbonda is offline Find More Posts by KevinSharbonda
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 18, 2014, 07:59 AM
Joined Feb 2013
322 Posts
If you are using a fishing rod for a tail boom you need to be sure that it is stiff enough to do the job. Excessive flexibility will result in a lack of control. If it flops at all it is not stiff enough. In my case it was terminal. Straight in from 30 feet up.
George Franklin is online now Find More Posts by George Franklin
Old Jan 18, 2014, 08:49 AM
St. Louis, MO
Joined Oct 2002
2,680 Posts
Fishing poles are meant to bend in a controlled way. Tail booms are not
Mark Miller is offline Find More Posts by Mark Miller
Old Jan 18, 2014, 11:13 PM
Jim C Patrick
Shenandoah County
Joined Jan 2008
753 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Miller View Post
Fishing poles are meant to bend in a controlled way. Tail booms are not
Before you get too far, I have several cheapo fishing poles that don't 'bend in a controlled way'. Many of them easily support large loads without deflection, and most pole bases seem like they would make a great boom. I think you are talking about fishing rods, a totally different construction, and I would not recommend using most fishing rods as booms.

Poles have large diameter, thin-wall base sections; the tip sections are generally useless. Poles are usually very cheap too. Rods are smaller diameter, thicker walled, and have a very short base section; more like floppy golf-club shafts. For that matter, golf shafts are regularly recommended as booms, yet they bend more than pole base sections do.

[And yes, Mark is not the only one using the terms interchangeably. But there is a difference between poles and rods, and that makes a huge difference in the deflection.]
jcpatrick is offline Find More Posts by jcpatrick
Old Jan 19, 2014, 08:50 AM
St. Louis, MO
Joined Oct 2002
2,680 Posts
Strange. I used t make custom fishing poles and I never saw a supplier of blanks designate a difference in terms. Kind of like a soda and pop in different places in the US?

My point was that using a part made for the job at hand has it's advantages.
Mark Miller is offline Find More Posts by Mark Miller
Old Jan 19, 2014, 12:33 PM
Jim C Patrick
Shenandoah County
Joined Jan 2008
753 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Miller View Post
Strange. I used t make custom fishing poles and I never saw a supplier of blanks designate a difference in terms. Kind of like a soda and pop in different places in the US? My point was that using a part made for the job at hand has it's advantages.
Dunno what kind of fishing stuff you made, but there's a maker near here who'd rather be shot than get caught calling a fly rod a pole. It's not a pop-vs-soda thing since pop and soda are the same; it's more like rifle-vs-gun, and you can ask any Marine if you don't understand. Rods aren't made to collapse while poles are made to telescope like old antennas. Huge difference.

It's true that using a part 'made for the job' is almost always better . . . and more expensive. The pole below is fiberglass and is very stiff, the base is way overkill for a 3M sailplane but the 2nd, 3rd, or even 4th section would be appropriate. The whole pole was under $15 at the local fishing store —even Walmart carries the 12 foot poles— and you get a range of diameter (and stiffness) choices.

Extra bonus from fishing stores: kevlar thread used for fly-tying in undyed-yellow and in black, also thread wrapping holders so the stuff doesn't flop all over the place. Double bonus on poles at the end of the season: you can often find poles with damaged tip or end sections and get the rest —the larger and usable lower sections— for chump-change to save the store the time of writing off the damage and shipping back to the manufacturer.

Nothing wrong with buying the very best if you can afford it, especially for competition. But for hobbyists who need to cut costs, fishing poles are a capable, cost-effective alternative.
jcpatrick is offline Find More Posts by jcpatrick
Old Jan 24, 2014, 08:38 PM
Joined Nov 2010
181 Posts
Art Hobby?

69Classic...Art Hobby offers them as replacement parts for all their planes 1.5 through 3.1 M. Might be worth a look see?
Capt. Gary is offline Find More Posts by Capt. Gary
Old Jan 26, 2014, 04:33 AM
Nova Scotia, the East Coast NA
Joined May 2005
239 Posts
Re Poles Rods

I have some of these poles here as well that jc patrick describes and would not hesitate to use them as a tail boom
They are very stiff, so for those hobbiest out there that are trying to save money, go for it.

whacker
whacker is online now Find More Posts by whacker