HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 17, 2013, 11:15 PM
USA, CT, Wilton
Joined Nov 2010
123 Posts
Build Log
Hitec Weekender Extra 300s Build

I saw this plane expertly piloted at the NEAT Fair and just had to have it - looked so smooth and graceful through all sorts of tumbles/snaps/maneuvers.

This first post will just cover my first few steps and specific details - I intend to follow through to first flight shortly.

The plane is very well packed, though it's weird that all the bags are sealed, requiring a knife/scissors to get everything out.

Also note that there is a lot of packing tape used to keep everything in place - keep it away from the bare wings and fuse as it will pull up the paint.

Now, the guys from Hitec said they just slapped this plane together (there are like a dozen pieces to put together) and flew it out of the box, and I believe them. I'm a little more methodical, and typically check every nut/bolt/screw/linkage. I also tightened up the linkages (see image comments for details)

Turns out I have one bad servo in the wing I'm on the fence between just waiting to get a replacement in, and swapping in either HS-81MGs I've got lying around, or some Hextronic D-MG16's
Merkin77 is offline Find More Posts by Merkin77
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 17, 2013, 11:16 PM
USA, CT, Wilton
Joined Nov 2010
123 Posts
placeholder 1
Old Sep 18, 2013, 11:47 AM
Crash 'em if you got 'em
United States, TX, Euless
Joined May 2013
491 Posts
subscribed - trying to be patient on my order.

Do you think it is possible to get rid of the hideous Weekender logo on wing? or is it painted?
waytooslow is offline Find More Posts by waytooslow
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Maiden of Starmax F5 Tiger
Old Sep 18, 2013, 02:33 PM
USA, CT, Wilton
Joined Nov 2010
123 Posts
The "weekender" text is on a simple clear decal that looks like you could just peel it up easily. The wing might look a little bare after that, so maybe a little masked off section painted using plastic paint (blue?) might look nice.

I have a replacement wing servo on its way out, so hopefully will be up in the air soon - I really can't wait.

Also, note that they haven't shipped spare props yet, so nice and smooth on those landing folks!
Old Sep 18, 2013, 02:40 PM
Crash 'em if you got 'em
Joined May 2013
491 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merkin77 View Post
The "weekender" text is on a simple clear decal that looks like you could just peel it up easily. The wing might look a little bare after that, so maybe a little masked off section painted using plastic paint (blue?) might look nice.

I have a replacement wing servo on its way out, so hopefully will be up in the air soon - I really can't wait.

Also, note that they haven't shipped spare props yet, so nice and smooth on those landing folks!

Yikes on parts!!! - I will most likely add some paint to change up bottom from top for orientation needs. Let us know how it flies!
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 18, 2013, 07:30 PM
"ya can't get hurt in the air"
United States, NY, Cazenovia
Joined Oct 2009
191 Posts
This plane flies great, very solid, stable, and quite nimble. It will get a lot of use around my place!
King Pin is offline Find More Posts by King Pin
Old Sep 24, 2013, 06:02 PM
USA, CT, Wilton
Joined Nov 2010
123 Posts
Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1380063668.438559.jpg
Views: 36
Size: 46.6 KB
Description: some krylon blue paint and some masking tape (careful NOT to tape over the existing paint, even with blue masking tape)
Old Sep 25, 2013, 09:16 PM
USA, CT, Wilton
Joined Nov 2010
123 Posts
Okay, here's an update. I built out the plane the other night - my gosh does it go together effortlessly. I'm really impressed about just about every aspect of this plane. Some notes:

There are a few spots where you screw into plywood (landing gear, and the tail surfaces) - good practice is a few drops of thin ca into the screw holes there.

Having never seen a multiplex connector used on anything but a sailplane wing (in fact, the manual shows Deans!), I found the best way to solder your connector with the ESC still in the plane was to put her on her side on a piece of foam.

Mulitplex really doesn't seem to like having batteries tied down. My Funjet Ultra had the same wishful thinking - a piece of red velcro that is supposed to just stick to foam?? To be fair, there's not much room for the battery to wiggle, but it's just clunky - the battery goes way up forward, near the firewall, and there's not a lot of room to lift it off the velcro, so you end up ripping it off each time.

Okay, a few pics, and then I'll write up my experience from my first flight
Old Sep 25, 2013, 09:36 PM
USA, CT, Wilton
Joined Nov 2010
123 Posts
Let me start off by saying that I flew this on a decidedly "off" day - after augering one DLG (battery that tested fine had no juice), but before auguring a slow stick (new elevator guide made the pushrod bind in down elevator position), I flew this for maybe 4 minutes, and they were mostly uneventful, but ended fine.

I put a 3S 2200 pack in, ran my flight check, said a few words for my buddy Chris on film, and went to fly.

She took a little longer to rise off the ground than I expected, but once up she was smooth, with the exception being a *very* twitchy elevator. In the air, she's definitely smooth, and smooth inputs are rewarded with a pretty gracious plane.

My meager experience spans from some pretty notoriously poor foamies (Parkzone Extra 300 anyone?) to some nice-flying planes (can't speak highly enough about the 48" 3DHS Edge), and this falls somewhere in between. I'm actually surprised that the roll rates aren't higher, because there's certainly a fair amount of throw, and the surfaces are decently sized. The centering on the supplied servos leaves a little to be desired, but it's not noticeable (by me) in flight.

She feels like an extra - especially when you crank in a turn that's a little to much for her, she'll tip stall on you and bite, but it's usually remedied with throttle. Her size is really nice in the wind too - we had wind of about 9mph with gusts a few mph more, and she really didn't pay it any mind.

I did some terrible knife edges - I think she wanted to roll inverted on them, so a little active aileron management was needed, but not much.

Based on this flight, I think a 4S 1800 is worth trying - the extra juice would really help all extreme modes of flying.

It was captured on film by NODD RC, so I'll post the link when it's up.

I'm looking forward to getting a better feel for this plane, and will report when I do.
Happy Flying!
Old Sep 29, 2013, 09:08 PM
USA, CT, Wilton
Joined Nov 2010
123 Posts
Video is up!
I'm hoping to dial out some of the elevator twitchiness, switch to a 4S battery, and get a follow-up when I'm ready to pay a little more attention in the air too - definitely clunky on the sticks in this video.

Thanks Nodd RC!
Old Oct 01, 2013, 10:25 AM
Crash 'em if you got 'em
Joined May 2013
491 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merkin77 View Post
Video is up!
I'm hoping to dial out some of the elevator twitchiness, switch to a 4S battery, and get a follow-up when I'm ready to pay a little more attention in the air too - definitely clunky on the sticks in this video.

Thanks Nodd RC!

Nice. are those the stock wheels minus pants? or??
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 01, 2013, 10:34 AM
USA, CT, Wilton
Joined Nov 2010
123 Posts
See the pics (and caption) - they are 3" Dubros - my go-to wheel on most planes.