HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:02 PM
United States, OR, Canby
Joined Aug 2011
1,812 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fig Newton View Post
I have to agree with Eflightray and David Hipperson here. Coming from an internal combustion background, you simply DO NOT put your fingers in the path of the prop. In my opinion and what I am reading on various forums, starting in the hobby with electric powered planes it seems that people tend to get a different complacency about the engine and yet it can and will bite, sometimes with serious results. Expecting the transmitter or even the speed controller to keep you safe is a gamble at best. When the battery is connected you should treat your engine like it is running. That's where coming from a gas background makes this easier to do.
The difference here is that an IC engine doesn't start if you happen to bump the throttle stick. It's not just about fingers, you can be behind the plane doing a control check and bump the throttle and have it takeoff, same with an IC engine, having and "off" switch can increase safety by one more level. It's a common feature with electric helicopters and the DX6i supports that feature in heli mode so why not in ACRO too? It is supported in the DX8 and I use it for my few electric planes.

Having a feature doesn't mean you have to use it, but not having it means you can't.
600Bob is offline Find More Posts by 600Bob
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 28, 2013, 05:01 PM
Joined Feb 2006
6 Posts
try a mix

Just use this mix to put your throttle hold on the Aux 2 switch and then you won't have to butcher up your radio.

AUX2 -> THRO
RATE: -100% / 0%
SW: ON
OFFSET: -100
Mark Harper is offline Find More Posts by Mark Harper
Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:18 PM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,281 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Harper View Post
Just use this mix to put your throttle hold on the Aux 2 switch and then you won't have to butcher up your radio.

AUX2 -> THRO
so you move the esc plug to aux2 then do that mix ? Sweet !
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:54 PM
United States, OR, Canby
Joined Aug 2011
1,812 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Harper View Post

AUX2 -> THRO
The DX6i does not have an AUX 2 switch. Only the D/R, gear and flap switches are available in the Mix menu. I tried a Mix using Gear>Thr. and couldn't get it to work.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:50 PM
United States, TX, Burnet
Joined Jan 2013
118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 600Bob View Post
The difference here is that an IC engine doesn't start if you happen to bump the throttle stick.
Which is exactly why the posts I agreed with and then commented on state that you should treat the electric engines as "on" when the battery is connected. I think we are splitting hairs here though. I get your point in asking for an extra safety measure when dealing with electric motors. But it still boils down to the individual taking the appropriate safety measures when working with either a running glow motor or a powered up ESC and electric motor. I was testing some radio changes to my Corsair the other day. Instead of having to worry about a prop catching me off guard I just removed it. I put it back on when I was done making radio adjustments. You can put in all the switches you want but at the end of the day the only way to truly guarantee you won't lose a finger in the prop is to keep it out of the area the prop is in. Don't get me wrong, I am all for safety features, but when you let them lull you into being complacent you are asking for an accident.
Fig Newton is online now Find More Posts by Fig Newton
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:03 AM
mutski
Fairbanks, AK
Joined Jan 2011
1,037 Posts
If you bind the Dx6i to your plane, then turn it off while leaving the airplane battery connected, it binds again almost instantly when you turn it back on. No need for a throttle hold for airplanes - just shut off the transmitter, do what you want to the plane and turn it back on. Easy, safe, doesn't require soldering.

I too have tweaked the throttle with the neck strap. For that reason, I now turn the transmitter off as soon as the plane lands. No problem then to carry the transmitter when I retrieve the plane. I usually fly till the battery needs changing, but if I want to launch again, I just switch the transmitter on and it binds in a flash.

Throttle hold makes more sense with helis - a quick disconnect for the rotor when you know it's about to crash. With planes, there is more time to recover, and if they crash, the spinning propeller doesn't do the same damage as a helicopter rotor.
mutski is offline Find More Posts by mutski
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:07 AM
United States, OR, Canby
Joined Aug 2011
1,812 Posts
^ Be prepared to catch heck for turning off the TX while the RX is still powered up.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:51 AM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Mar 2012
1,051 Posts
Putting a switch is by far the most elegant solution. You just enable throttle cut on all your models and off you go.

Connect everything and just before launch set the throttle to ON
After landing set the throttle to OFF and then do whatever you need to do.
rcmaverick is offline Find More Posts by rcmaverick
Old Jan 29, 2013, 02:20 AM
mutski
Fairbanks, AK
Joined Jan 2011
1,037 Posts
Quote:
^ Be prepared to catch heck for turning off the TX while the RX is still powered up.

I guess if they wanted me to leave the tx on they'd have made it possible to use throttle hold with an airplane.

PS - What's the risk? Could the rx bind with a different tx if I ever flew with another RC pilot nearby?
mutski is offline Find More Posts by mutski
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:48 AM
United States, OR, Canby
Joined Aug 2011
1,812 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutski View Post
I guess if they wanted me to leave the tx on they'd have made it possible to use throttle hold with an airplane.

PS - What's the risk? Could the rx bind with a different tx if I ever flew with another RC pilot nearby?
Well actually I think the risk is minor. However if someone did not properly setup the throttle failsafe turning off the TX first could cause the motor to go to full power, also if the ESC has auto low stick detection it might cause some issues, I found that out while setting up a CP heli once.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:05 PM
United States, GA, Loganville
Joined Aug 2012
224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutski View Post
If you bind the Dx6i to your plane, then turn it off while leaving the airplane battery connected, it binds again almost instantly when you turn it back on. No need for a throttle hold for airplanes - just shut off the transmitter, do what you want to the plane and turn it back on. Easy, safe, doesn't require soldering.
Not so fast there my friend...

Depends on the receiver and ESC.

Some of my planes, turn of Xmitter and no issue.

One of my planes, turn off the Xmitter and the motor starts up.

The only way to ensure an electric motor doesn't bite you is to disconnect the power.
bigblueswope is offline Find More Posts by bigblueswope
Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:20 PM
United States, OR, Canby
Joined Aug 2011
1,812 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblueswope View Post
Not so fast there my friend...

Depends on the receiver and ESC.

Some of my planes, turn of Xmitter and no issue.

One of my planes, turn off the Xmitter and the motor starts up.

The only way to ensure an electric motor doesn't bite you is to disconnect the power.
If you are using a Spektrum RX and the motor starts when you turn off the TX then the failsafe isn't programmed, rebind the RX and it should work correctly. If using some other RX then I don't know.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:39 PM
United States, UT, Draper
Joined Dec 2012
1,741 Posts
Good thread topic for a noob who bought the DX6i. I tested the throttle chop button while checking out the TX and thought a universal throttle kill toggle switch for all models bound to it would have been a better idea.

Reminds me of my Global Sun solar oven I purchased a while back and baked some brownies in it around the time of the winter solstice to see how it performed in low sun. Just like spinning props on gas or electrics...they both "bite" when you get too close....the thermometer on my oven read 250F when I pulled the fully baked brownies out and brushed my wrist against the "no gas or electric juice" oven wall. ZING! Burnt wrist.

I've already had a shirt sleeve brush the throttle stick inadvertly. Lucky me, it was my Mini Vapor sitting on the ground in front of me. Still a wake up warning to be more alert.
Steve 0 is online now Find More Posts by Steve 0
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:23 PM
United States, GA, Loganville
Joined Aug 2012
224 Posts
Quote:
If you are using a Spektrum RX and the motor starts when you turn off the TX then the failsafe isn't programmed, rebind the RX and it should work correctly. If using some other RX then I don't know.
They're HK Orange 6 channel RXs.

I'll try rebinding, thanks for the tip.
bigblueswope is offline Find More Posts by bigblueswope
Old Mar 25, 2014, 11:50 AM
United States, WA, Mukilteo
Joined Apr 2013
626 Posts
I've heard that if you install a toggle switch on throttle hold that you need to go back through all your models and set sum throttle sub trim to prevent the motors from spinning at 0 stick throttle. Is this true?
Suko is offline Find More Posts by Suko