HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 30, 2012, 02:01 PM
Joined Sep 2011
12 Posts
Discussion
Another newbie asking advice for first plane

Hi all

I have a RC truck and now got the chance to fly my buddies nine eagles skyrunner trainer. I loved it and now obviousily I need to get one myself =)

I'm really new to planes so Im looking for a fairly cheap, durable and easy enough packet as a first training rc plane. Could you pros help me out on what model to get from eg. hobbyking ?

The skyrunner is OK as it has the rotor on top so I wont have to replace it every time I (crash)land. I would like a bit more power and all 4 channels.

I was looking at this model from HB - any comments ?
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ft_Radio_.html

Any comments or recommendations would be most appreciated - thanks!
mtlman is offline Find More Posts by mtlman
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 30, 2012, 02:24 PM
Canada, BC, Port Coquitlam
Joined Apr 2012
1,048 Posts
That bixler should be fine. I will not be impressed by their video, though. They showed a total newb effortlessly fly the bixler....not likely unless he'd done some simulator time

Having had stick time on your friend's trainer, you should be ok with that bixler, IMHO. Just have your friend beside you for maybe a dozen flights, to take over, just in case. Beginners will always get into trouble. I found that trainers of this type are somewhat stable but not as good at self stabilizing as say a high winger with lots of dihedral, like a HobbyZoneSupercub. So you have to apply a touch of counter aileron after completing a turn to return the wings to level.
easyrider604 is online now Find More Posts by easyrider604
Old Dec 30, 2012, 02:38 PM
Joined Dec 2012
33 Posts
by the way is the motor for th sky runner ment to be mounted at an angle because on mine it is and i dont know wether it is bad manufacturing or designed like that ,does anybody know?
luka.v is offline Find More Posts by luka.v
Old Dec 30, 2012, 02:45 PM
Joined Sep 2011
12 Posts
On my friends plane it is on an angle and I think its supposed to be like that so it revokes the rotary force or something (sorry my bad english).
Old Dec 30, 2012, 03:11 PM
Joined Sep 2011
12 Posts
a further question for you pros - I need an additional battery for the plane and cant really find any info on HB what of the suggested lipos will actually fit the plane.
will this for instanse fit & work ?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Lipo_Pack.html

Allso - will I need any connectors for the additional battery ? Thanks again guys for your help.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 03:43 PM
Joined Dec 2012
33 Posts
well i would measure the dimentions of the battery compartment and then find a battery that suits the dimentions from hobbyking
Old Dec 30, 2012, 03:45 PM
Joined Dec 2012
33 Posts
ohby the way you probably wont need any extra connectors just make sure the battery has the right ones
Old Dec 30, 2012, 03:49 PM
Joined Sep 2011
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by luka.v View Post
well i would measure the dimentions of the battery compartment and then find a battery that suits the dimentions from hobbyking
Luka, cant do that since I dont have the plane yet.. I want to of course order the plane & accessories at the same time.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 03:59 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,265 Posts
Yeah, that battery will work fine. Most lipos follow the same general size patterns, so for a given cell count (3S) and capacity (1300mAh) you can be fairly sure that the packs will be very close to the same size.
C₄H₁₀ is offline Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Dec 30, 2012, 05:46 PM
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Nov 2011
888 Posts
Battery size

The Bixler can hold much larger batteries as long as you get the COG correct. On mine I use 70MM or 2 3/4" from the leading edge of the wing. Even if you use a 1,300 mAh you will need to make sure the COG is correct.
I currently fly with a 2,650 & 2,200 mAh to give you an idea. Velcro on the bottom of the battery and on the inside of the fuselage to keep it from sliding around.
I put the battery in, put the canopy on and then a finger on the COG to see if the fusleage is level. If not move the battery fore or aft until you have the COG correct. A little nose down (very little) is ok--nose high makes it tough to fly. You have to carry a lot of speed to control. (Don't ask me how I know, lets just say it was a learning experience.)
1fullbird is offline Find More Posts by 1fullbird
Old Dec 31, 2012, 01:17 AM
Joined Sep 2011
12 Posts
Thanks fullbird thats very helpful! Will have to place my order soon.

How about spare parts, I would think that for the bixler it is fairly easy to get them? ? For RC cars you can find explosion pictures etc and spareparts are super easy to find. I couldnt really find any parts on the HK pages tough ?
Old Dec 31, 2012, 07:50 AM
who put that tree there
Joined Jun 2010
798 Posts
for spare parts just get add the kit version also to your basket.
prob be cheaper in the long run..
dazza44 is offline Find More Posts by dazza44
Old Jan 01, 2013, 01:45 AM
Joined Sep 2011
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazza44 View Post
for spare parts just get add the kit version also to your basket.
prob be cheaper in the long run..
Thats a good idea will do just that, and the electronics you can obviousily replace..
Old Jan 02, 2013, 11:08 AM
crazyflyer
Joined Jan 2013
21 Posts
The Bixler is a very good trainer.
I fly the original and enjoy it. it flys itself straight and level when set up and trimened properly.
good trainer, but the spar needs beefed up, and you need to hold the wings in place.
I use velcro on 2 points on each wing half.
other than that it is a great plane..
I also use a 3s 2800ms Venom battery without using any change in wt.
It will fly good nose heavy but make sure it is not tail heavy. do this by checking the CG
I wouldn't go over a 3400ms. if you go that big you may have to remove the washers in nose of plane.
1crazyflyer is offline Find More Posts by 1crazyflyer
Last edited by 1crazyflyer; Jan 02, 2013 at 11:16 AM.