HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
This thread is privately moderated by bigbookfrank, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 01:10 AM
United States, AZ, Apache Junction
Joined Jan 2012
28 Posts
Trader Rating: 2
I fly and am getting my 10 yo daughter into it as well
flyingwing 13 is offline Find More Posts by flyingwing 13
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 09, 2012, 01:16 AM
USA, ID, Boise
Joined Nov 2010
188 Posts
Trader Rating: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jester_s1 View Post
But giving planes to kids will just mean they get broken and forgotten about like all the other things they don't have to work for. I volunteer as an instructor and pretty much always offer to give spectators at the field a training flight if they want one. It's very satisfying to see a youngster who's worked for his plane also working for the skills to fly it, and even more so to see him solo and have a great time in the air when it's all done.
This is what I meant by my post, because you're right, kids will be kids and move on to the next new thing they are handed if they do not have to work for it.
kennyhoc3 is offline Find More Posts by kennyhoc3
Old Dec 09, 2012, 01:31 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
13,787 Posts
Trader Rating: 21
Am I the only one that thinks posting your private, unfortunate stories to the public in return for a prize is simply inappropriate? Even if I was against the wall, I just have too much pride to put it out there for all to see... I would not want to advertise it.
bsbauman is offline Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Racing anyone?
Old Dec 09, 2012, 02:15 AM
Dir_D_Redd
United States, GA, Clayton
Joined Jan 2010
325 Posts
Trader Rating: 69
No you are not. @ bsbauman
dirdredd is online now Find More Posts by dirdredd
Old Dec 09, 2012, 08:32 AM
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Mar 2004
118 Posts
Trader Rating: 53
Why dont you pm your story to me.... I would like to hear it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsbauman View Post
Am I the only one that thinks posting your private, unfortunate stories to the public in return for a prize is simply inappropriate? Even if I was against the wall, I just have too much pride to put it out there for all to see... I would not want to advertise it.
bigbookfrank is offline Find More Posts by bigbookfrank
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 09, 2012, 09:22 AM
United States, TX, Mansfield
Joined Dec 2012
0 Posts
Trader Rating: 0
FATE HAS BROUGHT US TOGETHER!!!!
My name is Jon, and my reasoning below will describe why I think the clouds have parted for this immaculate transaction.

Criteria -
1. under the age of 20 (mentally : ) must be able to prove it to me

I am 31, however, my favorite movie of all time is Dumb and DumberÖ and I still laugh at fart jokes. If this isnít proof, then I donít know what is.

2. Broke and have a really good story, including mistakes you have made that contibute to the brokness

I am broke in a sense. Went to college, have a great job, and can afford to let my wife stay home with my two girls - 1 and 3 years old. They absolutely love watching daddy fly new planes by the way. I fund my 401K, both girls college funds, and have recently become debt free except for my house. With the wife staying at home, I live on a very strict budget for my ďtoysĒ. Iím broke in this department because I do all the right things. I donít have many financial mistakes, but this makes it very difficult to actually have fun things when I want them.

3. #1 is thrown out if you are wanting it as a gift for a kid under 20.

This would totally be for me. Not gonna lie.

4. Must be DFW area or sort of close.

I live in Mansfield - 30 min southwest of downtown Dallas. I can meet you anytime, anywhere.

5. Post your story here and I will ask for input / votes from a few of my trusted friends and on here (Santa of course) after I get it down to three or so.... Will make no decision before December 15th.

Hereís the whyÖ

My father-in-law! Iíll circle back to this. Iíve been flying for 6 months now. Saved up for Real Flight 4. Spent a TON of time on it. Sold my Xbox 360 so I could buy a used glow powered trainer Ė no hard landings in 5 months. Because Iím broke, and cause itís awesome, I built a scratch-built foam-board F-22 jet. This thing is ridiculous! Again, no hard landings. I have full lipo knowledge and charging capabilities from running 4x4 rc trucks last year at Mikeís Hobby Shop in Carrolton. For the past three months Iíve been flying a Hangar 9 Pizazz .40 (full 3D) with again, no hard landings. This has been on loan from my brother-in-law and has now recently sold on craigslist. I just did a similar thing as to your great deed and gave a friend my trainer with a complete setup for him to get into the hobby. Now Iím left with my F-22. In addition to all of this, my father-in-law goes way out of his way to rub it in my nose that he flies a Great Planes Revolver .40 (doesnít do it well), and gives me crap about my $6 worth-of-foam-board-plane. With our powers combined, we can quiet the condesending jokes for good... at least on this subject

My wish to Santa this Christmas is a little help for the guy that tries to be responsible. Because I take care of my crap, I canít just splurge on something awesome like this Dynam SU-26M. Be confident that I would practice my butt off on the simulator before taking her up, and this plane would be babied like the jem that she is.
jonbaker99 is offline Find More Posts by jonbaker99
Old Dec 09, 2012, 09:47 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
13,787 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbookfrank View Post
Why dont you pm your story to me.... I would like to hear it.
Kind offer, but I am in no position to accept freebies and have not fallen on hard times. I just thought there might be others with the same mentality as me... clearly I am wrong and it appears most persons are a little less modest that I expected.

As I said, this is very thoughtful, but you might hear some more responses if persons did not have to put it on their forehead and make their story public
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 09, 2012, 12:42 PM
Joined Mar 2004
118 Posts
Agreed and I thought about this angle before my original post.... Anyone is free to PM me and one has, I assume for the reasons you list. I really expect to give it away to someone who is posting for someone elses benefit but I will not rule out good stories like the most recent one. That guy is possibly as deserving as the next. Thats the problem with this: I now see that judging who really desrves it is going to be difficult. I am not Santa and certainly am not GOD. Just trying to get rid of a plane that probably wont sell for what it is worth and I certainly don't want to sell it to some Smuck like me who would try to by it for 50-60 cents on the dollar, better to give it away I think.
I actually won this plane in a round about way so I don't have any money in it except for a $10 RX and two used batteries I don't fly in anything else.

It seemed like a fun and decent thing to do but there is always someone who sees things a little differently and they are certainly welcome to share those views as you have. I might even decide your the one who needs it

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsbauman View Post
Kind offer, but I am in no position to accept freebies and have not fallen on hard times. I just thought there might be others with the same mentality as me... clearly I am wrong and it appears most persons are a little less modest that I expected.

As I said, this is very thoughtful, but you might hear some more responses if persons did not have to put it on their forehead and make their story public
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 09, 2012, 01:13 PM
USA, ID, Boise
Joined Nov 2010
188 Posts
Trader Rating: 13
Maybe you can take the top few who deserve it and meet the criteria and draw one of their names from a hat
kennyhoc3 is offline Find More Posts by kennyhoc3
Old Dec 09, 2012, 01:15 PM
Joined Mar 2004
118 Posts
Good Idea..... no Great Idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyhoc3 View Post
Maybe you can take the top few who deserve it and meet the criteria and draw one of their names from a hat
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 09, 2012, 02:01 PM
I fly 3-C Crash,Crunch,Crumble
USA, NM, Clovis
Joined Feb 2010
992 Posts
Trader Rating: 80
Frank; This is Roy in Clovis,NM. You know my story and how much I really deserve this plane. I also know you come through here from time to time, and I could wait till your next trip through. I will not embarrass myself and you by telling the whole story here, but PLEASE do pick me. No matter if I do not get this plane I will continue to fly my old 27mhz equipment and the worn out battery on the park 300 gearbox (sigh) Thanks for listening to my sob story Frank. You and yours have a Merry Christmas, and I will cherish my lump of coal in my stocking on Christmas morning. Broke, depressed and not flying. Roy
Mr. foambuilder is offline Find More Posts by Mr. foambuilder
Old Dec 09, 2012, 02:58 PM
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Jun 2010
87 Posts
Trader Rating: 112
bigbookfrank: Just a question for my own curiosity .. Why do you think it's better to GIVE it away rather than sell it for a substantial discount?
Tampatexan is offline Find More Posts by Tampatexan
Old Dec 09, 2012, 05:06 PM
Dir_D_Redd
United States, GA, Clayton
Joined Jan 2010
325 Posts
Trader Rating: 69
I am glad this Ad has come to a head. Its only fair that you put your selection up so this thread can go away. I don't mean this in a bad way, but I really agree with my friend bsbauman. people posting their misfortune is not a good look for this great RC website. I'm not rich nor deathly poor either and I love acts of kindness, But children posting how poor they are is not great for something being given away. Maybe next time someone gives something away for free to children. Make them show you a report card or how good they are in school and at home. This should make the great kids show up and these kids I think will make the HOBBY better and better. Merry (Happy Birthday Jesus) Christmas to all here on RC Groups.
dirdredd is online now Find More Posts by dirdredd
Old Dec 09, 2012, 05:45 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
13,787 Posts
In the end; I think we are all support what you are doing (I certainly do!), and I do know it will be a tough decision in the end. Those that are more fortunate than others can follow your example in their own way.

I take a huge loss on most of my sales, but have pretty much cut down my hangar to the few planes I love to fly and I have liquidated the rest. Like you, I realize I cannot give to everyone that is in need; so it is a difficult task deciding where to put your money. As I really like my toys, I tend to donate time, food and money more than anything else. But we all have our own devices for giving back to the community and I welcome your actions here on RCG.

BTW~ Dirdredd I LOVE the idea of giving to the highest report card; education means everything and a new plane is a SWEET motivation for young students.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 09, 2012, 06:10 PM
Joined Jun 2012
7 Posts
Trader Rating: 0
Hey... I live in Dallas!

I'm not sure about being mentally under 20 years old though. I would have to let my friends answer that question. They would probably disagree since I shave, I'm twice as tall and I always kick their ass at Smear the Queer! Oh... my doctor did mention something about ADHD but I can't remember what he said...there was this string on the floor at the time... looked like someone had used it for dental floss.

I'm not poor either. My mother gives me a huge allowance every Sunday...DUH!!! I get bonus money too... just for getting out of bed and going to church with her. I always, always, always get cool stuff for my birthdays. So safe to say I have a real treasure chest after 46 of those bad boys!

Gift for a kid... yea, right! This new airplane is going to make all those window lickers soooo jealous.

Why do I need your airplane? Because mine broke thats why. Well not really broke, it kinda works because the eyes still blink when you roll it. It more like the string broke so you can't swing it around your head like when it was brand new. So yea, let's say it doesn't fly.

Alright then... Let me know ahead of time about when I can pick up my new airplane. I have to tell my mother way ahead of time about driving me over. She has been weird leaving the house ever since she got that bracelet with the antenna on her ankle.

Can't wait to meet you... I'll bring my football.
dont750ss is offline Find More Posts by dont750ss
Closed Thread