HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 01, 2012, 03:03 AM
United States, TX, Lindale
Joined Mar 2012
18 Posts
Discussion
Universal Charging Leads.

I've been looking around for charging leads.

I've found you you can ether buy a Octopus looking thing (8 in 1) or just a simple 1 type of end design.

So I thought I should make Universal Charging Lead's for (EC2,EC3,EC5,Deans, and others.)

Starting with 4mm Gold plated end's with about 12" of 14awg wire to a PA45 connector, then Another PA45 connector with about a 1" 14awg wiring to (EC2,EC3,EC5,Deans, and others.)

Is this something that would work?
PA45's
DPkiller is offline Find More Posts by DPkiller
Last edited by DPkiller; May 01, 2012 at 03:16 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 01, 2012, 07:36 AM
United States, MI, Macomb
Joined Apr 2009
2,331 Posts
You can make a multiple harness with as many connector combinations as you like. Just make sure you do not have any exposed pins on any of them. Or if you do, make sure you protect them from shorting.
tacx is online now Find More Posts by tacx
Old May 02, 2012, 06:24 AM
RC plane addict ;-)
United Kingdom, England, Norwich
Joined Aug 2008
1,540 Posts
Would be a lot easier just buying them but if you can't find what your looking for sure it will work as long as you do what tacx says.

But this is one of the better ones that i found from Hobbyking.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...apter_Set.html
startazz is offline Find More Posts by startazz
Old May 02, 2012, 10:28 AM
United States, NJ, Clayton
Joined Aug 2010
1,580 Posts
I.M.O these may seem simpler, but they are big and clunky, and you have the risk of the exposed ends of other terminals touching, I would go with seperate charge leads and buy/make them as you need them
keithy4129 is offline Find More Posts by keithy4129
Old May 02, 2012, 10:45 AM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,180 Posts
I question why anyone would need all those connectors available. I simplify things by using a single battery connector, Deans, but you could use any one of several. So I see the need for the primary battery connector, the micro connector found on 1S batteries, a barrel (Tx)connector, and a receiver battery connector.

Glen
ggcrandall1 is online now Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Old May 02, 2012, 02:09 PM
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
11,134 Posts
Most of my batteries use Deans Ultra connectors, so my charge leads are that way too. But I then have short Deans Ultra to Micro Deans, Deans Ultra to Tamiya, Deans Ultra to Anderson Powerpoles, and Deans Ultra to servo socket extensions for the rare times I need to charge something else such as my mini coaxial heli, or a receiver pack. I just feel that's more convenient, and safe, than having a multi-headed lead.
abenn is online now Find More Posts by abenn
Old May 03, 2012, 12:12 AM
United States, TX, Lindale
Joined Mar 2012
18 Posts
Thanks for the inputs guys.

I decently hate the look of the multi charging cord.

I will by ether tonight or tomorrow make my list of supply's and order stuff to build
12 charging cables. With 4 of each ends. (EC2,EC3,Dean's,HXT,HT60,Traxxas,Tamiya, Mini Tamiya, JST Male?)

Am I missing any "important" adapters? (As far as I know ive only seen 1 kind of deans.)
DPkiller is offline Find More Posts by DPkiller
Old May 03, 2012, 01:59 AM
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
11,134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPkiller View Post
... Am I missing any "important" adapters? (As far as I know ive only seen 1 kind of deans.)
Deans also do a micro plug http://www.wsdeans.com/products/plugs/micro_plug.html, which is what I use in my micro helis instead of the more-usual JST.
abenn is online now Find More Posts by abenn
Old May 03, 2012, 05:44 AM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Germany
Joined Dec 2003
4,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPkiller View Post
I've been looking around for charging leads.

I've found you you can ether buy a Octopus looking thing (8 in 1) or just a simple 1 type of end design.

So I thought I should make Universal Charging Lead's for (EC2,EC3,EC5,Deans, and others.)

Starting with 4mm Gold plated end's with about 12" of 14awg wire to a PA45 connector, then Another PA45 connector with about a 1" 14awg wiring to (EC2,EC3,EC5,Deans, and others.)

Is this something that would work?
PA45's

I am doing this for many years now. I have a number of "main" leads with MPX plugs, that also fit for my flight packs, and a handful of short adapters for my TXes, the RX packs, and my indoor packs with Micro Deans.
I don't use any other connectors, as I like standardisation.

For my mobile slope charger, I use a cable with 3 different endings though.
Julez is offline Find More Posts by Julez