Old Apr 12, 2014, 12:21 AM
Australia, VIC
Joined Dec 2011
1,087 Posts
Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigrun View Post
Very tasty old4570.

I agree they are inarguably a hefty piece of kit and look like a brick, but begeezuz don't they go like stink! Most of you will know or remember the late (Brian) Burke 'Burkie' who also had several of these, literally, screamers.

A since lost touch with another friend I used to fly with at REMAC more than 20 years ago (if you read this Ian L please PM me) who had these in Las Gatas at about the time Russian design and their combat engines were just coming to the fore. The Italian and the Spaniard lost nothing to them at the time, and the Cipolla's longevity and reliability was then superior to all but the best of Russian/Ukrainan metallurgy. Cipolla brothers could really make very nice engines even if they didn't take on locally.

Sadly I don't have any of those button headed AAC (as I recall?) combat versions of those Masters, but I do have X4 examples of their lighter and even more powerful successor the AAC 2.5 RE Combat version, one of which has sub-port induction.

OMG! And what a difference that makes to their already impressive output! Now if only the Cipolla brothers had thought to angle that exhaust to better accommodate its placement in a 'Russian'! Presumably they were still in racing mindset mode?

I also have several examples of Cipolla's Master 2.5 STD ABC (same case). Inarguably they were mediocrity personified. Don't go anything like the stinkin' hot Combat version.
I always wanted the RE Combat engine , thought it might make a good Goodyear engine .. Also the TR engine was nice .. Bit rare though , not sure if the Hunting brothers had one for a short while ..

The side exhaust . I would need to check the timings first before running it , I dont mind modifying a engine .

So many engines , so little money !
old4570 is offline Find More Posts by old4570
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Wow -
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 13, 2014, 04:54 AM
Bilbao - Spain
Joined Jun 2005
88 Posts
Quote:
So many engines , so little money !
amen to this

regards
sukoi is offline Find More Posts by sukoi
Old Apr 16, 2014, 12:19 PM
Portland OR USA
Joined Aug 2010
94 Posts
One of a kind.

Well here's one you haven't seen before. It was constructed from some assorted parts left to me when a friend passed away.

The cylinder is a rear-port Bunch Mighty Midget of about 1936 vintage. It originally had an integral head, which had been sawed off. The piston/con rod is from a side-port Bunch of some variety, but different from the crankshaft. The rod big end was bushed to fit the crankpin. The cylinder was turned 90 degrees, and intake and exhaust manifolds silver soldered on.

The crankcase is a 1040s vintage and was modified slightly to accommodate the crankshaft and timer, which is of unknown origin. Operating with a drill-press and hand tools I hack-sawed the head from a piece of aluminum I had laying around. I silver soldered a brass plate to the cylinder top and tapped hold down screws through it and the top fin. It runs good and will eventually be installed in a control liner, I hope.
Hye's is offline Find More Posts by Hye's
Old Apr 16, 2014, 08:29 PM
Australia, VIC
Joined Dec 2011
1,087 Posts
Love it ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hye's View Post
Well here's one you haven't seen before. It was constructed from some assorted parts left to me when a friend passed away.

The cylinder is a rear-port Bunch Mighty Midget of about 1936 vintage. It originally had an integral head, which had been sawed off. The piston/con rod is from a side-port Bunch of some variety, but different from the crankshaft. The rod big end was bushed to fit the crankpin. The cylinder was turned 90 degrees, and intake and exhaust manifolds silver soldered on.

The crankcase is a 1040s vintage and was modified slightly to accommodate the crankshaft and timer, which is of unknown origin. Operating with a drill-press and hand tools I hack-sawed the head from a piece of aluminum I had laying around. I silver soldered a brass plate to the cylinder top and tapped hold down screws through it and the top fin. It runs good and will eventually be installed in a control liner, I hope.
Thank you , just love it .. Some serious DIY ,
old4570 is offline Find More Posts by old4570
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Wow -