HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 30, 2012, 07:49 AM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
11,121 Posts
Nice to hear that. The MM is a great introduction to sailing, and can also be challenging for more seasoned sailors.

I took my second MM for a second "testdrive" today. Conditions were great, and I was also able to shoot some nice pics:

The reflection of the waves at the bow made an interesting pattern on the semi-transparant main sail

SoloProFan is offline Find More Posts by SoloProFan
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 30, 2012, 06:29 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1,367 Posts
Nice Looking MK1 MM's.

Don't see a lot of them outside of Europe.

Here are a few photos of my MK1's

The MM is CLEARLY a great boat for the beginner as well as the experienced sailor.

waboats is offline Find More Posts by waboats
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 01, 2012, 02:47 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
11,121 Posts
A longer vid of my second MM:

https://vimeo.com/45024654
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 03, 2012, 01:29 AM
United States, CO, Fort Collins
Joined Jan 2007
8 Posts
Joining the fun. Hope, you like attached,
best
pingwin77 is offline Find More Posts by pingwin77
Old Jul 03, 2012, 03:24 AM
cni
Joined Nov 2008
26 Posts
Hello !
My favorite picture of the Youpi (french kit or rts) :

[IMG]http://api.ning.com/files/fnhYsTreMlnhB4ZmU2qCVjJ8t3Wkf8O8UOtRfcO1ttXir8ZJUp Bsl6efWvbrJ-yF8Q7M6UD*wO-TVamwvBPnkVufppKuBk0*/grosplan.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://api.ning.com/files/0g*WSSDS1EMXq*RS4y6DqBjVGb541PAzTkUQoNhsZqGMxW*qJb YFrsaxr0TlEieFIVDsZxRMQ2IlnZ6OjUbmt1xRUYbHD9EW/Youpibrise12.jpg[/IMG]

For more picture of the youpie, welcome on my blog
http://voiliers-classiques-rc.voile-rc.net/
cni is offline Find More Posts by cni
Old Jul 03, 2012, 04:29 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
11,121 Posts
Nice pics!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 03, 2012, 07:58 AM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,383 Posts
Good stuff guys! Keep them coming.
Thanks for sharing - Boomer
Boomer1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomer1
Old Jul 03, 2012, 04:31 PM
cni
Joined Nov 2008
26 Posts
Thanks !
Little video of a Yippie on a slow wind...

voilier rc YOUPI (0 min 52 sec)

Youpi 11 en navigation sur le lac de Joux le 27 avril 2012 (1 min 24 sec)

Old Jul 03, 2012, 04:46 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
11,121 Posts
Graceful, that's for sure. I do wonder though, that small sail high up, does it really add to the propulsion, or just cause more listing? And it seems the jib sails are sheeted at a lower angle than the main sail. I thought most boats prefer it the other way around, so a "slot" stays open between the mast and the trailing edge of the jib sail, and this situation will allow better airflow over the downwind side of the main sail, giving it more lift as air flows more rapidly over the curved surface.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 03, 2012, 04:56 PM
cni
Joined Nov 2008
26 Posts
Hello,

The highest sail is very useful and brings a lot of power, especially next to the bank. She allows to navigate when there is little wind. We remove it when the wind increases.

For the sails of front certain add a 3rd sail because on the big boats she "sticks" the nets of air, but on a mockup the turbulence is more important than the aerodynamic gain because in this size this sail is very small.

In fact on a rigging of this type, the big sail is more important than the sails of the front according to my experiences... Thank for your comment !

Dominique

Old Jul 04, 2012, 02:26 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
11,121 Posts
HD version of a Micro Magic vid I uploaded earlier:

Second time I took my second Micro Magic to my favorite pond (HD version) (2 min 9 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 04, 2012, 05:35 PM
made of fire and pop rocks
Richmond Virginia
Joined Oct 2009
1,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cni View Post
Hello,

The highest sail is very useful and brings a lot of power, especially next to the bank. She allows to navigate when there is little wind. We remove it when the wind increases.

For the sails of front certain add a 3rd sail because on the big boats she "sticks" the nets of air, but on a mockup the turbulence is more important than the aerodynamic gain because in this size this sail is very small.

In fact on a rigging of this type, the big sail is more important than the sails of the front according to my experiences... Thank for your comment !

Dominique

well it most certainly is a stunning craft!

the way you make it sound, the little top sail, I guess is kinda like a Yawl sail? as I understand it... those sails are most useful for close quarters manuvering?

that's how I understand it at least I could very well be wrong, and if so, I would love an explanation.

fearless leader at work runs a Yawl type of sailboat.. of course his is vintage, all wood, and very very large.
bgnome is offline Find More Posts by bgnome
Old Jul 04, 2012, 08:07 PM
Richmond Virginia
Joined Oct 2009
1,708 Posts
I was hanging out today, July 4th, with some of the guys from the RMYC, sailing seawinds.

thanks again folks for letting me play with your toys while I'm still getting something ready to get wet.

the video is interesting.. youtube now has a feature that will take out the shakes from your video.. the results seemed a bit.... dreamy

Sailing Seawinds on Lake Rooty (3 min 1 sec)
Old Jul 04, 2012, 11:40 PM
Chicago , Illinois
Joined Jul 2008
869 Posts
bgnome
the triangular sail set above the main gaff is called a "topsail"
I do not believe there is anything called a "yawl sail"
a yawl rig is a two masted sloop, by definition when the mizzen mast is aft of the
rudder post it's a yawl.if the mizzen is fore of the rudder post it's a ketch rig.
yawl or ketch, they set a triangular "mainsail" and that spar can be used to
also hoist a staysail or even a mizzen spinnaker.
I don't think a topsail will help in maneuvering at all, since a sloop rig ought to
tack efficiently through the wind without it. Racing or cruising a topsail will give
you speed ,especially in lighter winds.
thorsail is offline Find More Posts by thorsail
Old Jul 04, 2012, 11:46 PM
Richmond Virginia
Joined Oct 2009
1,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorsail View Post
bgnome
the triangular sail set above the main gaff is called a "topsail"
I do not believe there is anything called a "yawl sail"
a yawl rig is a two masted sloop, by definition when the mizzen mast is aft of the
rudder post it's a yawl.if the mizzen is fore of the rudder post it's a ketch rig.
yawl or ketch, they set a triangular "mainsail" and that spar can be used to
also hoist a staysail or even a mizzen spinnaker.
I don't think a topsail will help in maneuvering at all, since a sloop rig ought to
tack efficiently through the wind without it. Racing or cruising a topsail will give
you speed ,especially in lighter winds.
Ahhhh.. thanks for clearing that up for me.. when I said yawl sail, I really did mean rig. Can I assume that I am correct that a yawl rig is often used for maneuvering around in close quarters? like say... all the mains are down and you are coming into dock