HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 20, 2010, 08:57 PM
Centerville, In. USA
Joined Jul 2001
1,949 Posts
Discussion
tilt head rotor question

I have designed a simple tilting head rotor for a single rotor autogyro. I have built and flown several autogyro's but have never had one in which the head tilted. This design uses a samll wooden bead drilled out to accept a carbon tube and glued onto the tube's end. That unit is trapped between 2- 1/16" ply plates with holes in each just a bit smaller that the bead, On top is a short length of music wire that the rotor will spin on. I have hooked up the head to the servos and next I want to hook up the rudder and elevator to the same servos. If you are looking down on the gyrocopter facing the same way as if you sitting in the pilots seat and the right side of the rotor goes down, which way would the gyrocopter turn? RCNutt
rcnutt is offline Find More Posts by rcnutt
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 21, 2010, 02:57 PM
RC Group therapist
DeRidder LA.
Joined Nov 2008
1,961 Posts
To clear up some confusion; when we reference right/left/front/back of an aircraft it is ALWAYS as seen from the cockpit. If your rotor tilts to the right if the aircraft....it will roll right. Hope this helps. I think you'll be pleased with the responsiveness and handling of the "tilting head" as you've described it or commonly known as DC (Direct control). I would reccomend setting up some low rates initially until you get used to how much more responsive the aircraft will be.

Regards,
-Mike
Boneswamped is offline Find More Posts by Boneswamped
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 21, 2010, 04:05 PM
Centerville, In. USA
Joined Jul 2001
1,949 Posts
Thanx Mike, That clears that up. The fact that the tilt head and the rudder or elevator moves too, there should be good control so I will start out with low rates. My next big problem is to figure out what to use for a rotor blade. I am thinking a 3-4 blade rotor like I used on my Twirl autogyro's. The auw with everything but the rotor blades, is 13.5 ounces. Do contra rotating blades work better than one rotor? Any suggestions as to what to make for a blade? RCNutt
Old Feb 28, 2010, 03:41 PM
Centerville, In. USA
Joined Jul 2001
1,949 Posts
Looking for a picture of a pic of a pilot for my auto gyro

I have my auto-gyro ready to fly. Here is a picture. Somewhere in the RCGroups I saw a picture of an auto-gyro that I fashioned this one after. It had a nice big pilot sitting up front. Does anyone know where I can find a good picture of a sittig pilot? RCNutt
Old Mar 01, 2010, 06:45 AM
Keep it simple
Salisbury,England
Joined Jan 2005
968 Posts
Hi,

Here's one that I used for my Bristol Boxkite if it's of any use - I used my photo-editing to go over the struts, etc that were in front of the pilot, and you can use the mirror function to flip the photo to get the other side.

I think that he looks OK in flight (airborne indoor photo attached).

Movies of the Boxkite here (sorry for going off-topic)

Bristol Boxkite 20 Feb 2010 moody version (9 min 32 sec)

Bristol Boxkite Indoors 03 Jan 2010 (4 min 5 sec)

Al
alfoot is offline Find More Posts by alfoot
Old Mar 01, 2010, 08:27 AM
Centerville, In. USA
Joined Jul 2001
1,949 Posts
Pilot for auto-gyro

Thanx Al, I don't have photo editing but I'll take it into my paint program and fix it up. I even thought about taking a picture of myself sitting in a chair and just cutting it out. I took my gyro out this morning and crashed it pretty good . It took off just fine but started going left. I couldn't correct it so I killed the throttle and it went in. When I took it back into the basement I noticed the prop nut had worked loose and was about to fall off! I have to (would like to) assume that this lack of power is what caused the gyro to go in. I'll try to glue it back together and will try again. This is how the pilot looks after I worked with it a bit in my paint program. That is a pretty cool plane you have built. I love all the detail work you put into it. Is the elevator on the canard? Is the wing foam? RCNutt
Old Mar 01, 2010, 08:30 AM
Centerville, In. USA
Joined Jul 2001
1,949 Posts
Oops got it sideways. I'll just have to cut it out. I am a little reluctant to make the pilot until afterI see if the autogyro will fly. Thanx Al, for the picture. RCNutt
Old Mar 01, 2010, 09:43 AM
Keep it simple
Salisbury,England
Joined Jan 2005
968 Posts
Hi,

Nice work on the pilot.

Details on the Boxkite here (and subsequent pages):-

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...=165664&page=4

On your gyro, did the rotor spin up well before lift-off? Could have been the dreaded low rotor speed "roll-over". If you lost thrust, that wouldn't have helped.

Just another thought, but I can't see any means of allowing the blades to flap up. Some flexibility of the rotor hinges is usually necessary on a single rotor autogyro.

I hope that you get it back together for another go soon.

Al
Old Mar 01, 2010, 06:23 PM
Centerville, In. USA
Joined Jul 2001
1,949 Posts
I don't know what you mean by allowing the blade to flap up. Would it help if the blades were tilted up a little? I"ve got the gyro pretty much back together though now I am a bit gunshy. I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow if the weather permits. I'll try to make sure the blade is spinning good. I have wheels on it and it took off from the ground last time I tried. I really don't want to hand launch it. I guess I could try to hold some down elevator so that it is going a little faster when it lifts off. RCnutt
Old Mar 02, 2010, 08:38 AM
Keep it simple
Salisbury,England
Joined Jan 2005
968 Posts
Hi,

If you look at other single rotor autogyros (eg minimum, RPG, Rotorshape), the central hub is made of a flexible material (thin fibreglass board) which allows each blade to flap up or down as it rotates. The advancing blades will usually flap up whist the retreating blades will flap down. This goes some way to equalising the lift on the advancing and retreating sides of the rotor.

On my Monotwirl autogyro I used the UHU Por glue that held the blades to the hub as a hinge, which allowed the blades to flap.

Check out the sticky on autogyro aerodynamics- it has a much better description of what is going on.

Or maybe the real autogyro experts can respond here.

Al
Old Mar 02, 2010, 11:29 AM
Centerville, In. USA
Joined Jul 2001
1,949 Posts
I'll see what I can find. It is too windy to fly today. I did put on a larger prop GWS 9-5 HD) so now there is plenty of power and the motor is drawing less than 10 amps. That is good. I can still use my snmaller, lighter packs. I've always liked the rotorshape autogyro but I am too cheap to spring for the $80 or so that it costs, and I like to build my own stuff. It is supposed to warm up here in the next few days so maybe I can make another attempt at flying the little "bugger". RCNutt
Old Mar 04, 2010, 01:50 PM
Centerville, In. USA
Joined Jul 2001
1,949 Posts
It is nice out today relatively speaking so this morning I took out the gyrocopter to try and fly it again.. It got up to about 6-8 feet then went in and broke. I checked the motor and it started to run then I noticed the antenna was wrapped around the prop shaft. So I then assumed that this caused the crash. I glued it back together again and tried a second time today. This time the prop spun off and a wheel shaft came off along with the wheel. The third time I tried it, it behaved like the very first time I flew it, that is it went left and I could not make it turn back to the right. Another crash. I am gluing the pieces back together for the 3rd time. but now I don't have the feeling that it will ever fly, at least with the rotor I am using. Not sure what to do next. I hate to give up on it already but I don't see any choice. RCNutt
Old Mar 04, 2010, 02:30 PM
Keep it simple
Salisbury,England
Joined Jan 2005
968 Posts
Hi,

We've all been there, stick with it a bit longer

It might be worth getting the rotor up to speed by holding it tilted backwards into wind. You might feel if the thing is wanting to roll left. You could maybe try dialling in some right tilt and try this test again. Try the same thing with power on to see if it's motor torque that wants to roll it left.

On some autogyros ( eg Minimum), suspending the autogyro from the rotor post with some string and applying power will show if the thrustline is causing it to yaw, and you might need to alter the thrustline until it doesn't turn when power is applied.

Al
Old Mar 05, 2010, 06:20 AM
Centerville, In. USA
Joined Jul 2001
1,949 Posts
Good ideas. I have been taking off from the ground. Maybe the rotor speed isn't fast enough. I hate the idea of hand lanching it but maybe that is a better way. The front end does come up some when the throttle is applied. I never checked for tilting side to side aspect. I will do that today. Should the model pull straight ahead or is a little up OK? I will try some shims under the motor mount to correct any tilting problem. Thanx Al for the support. I don't really want to give up on yet. RCNutt
Old Mar 05, 2010, 07:51 AM
Centerville, In. USA
Joined Jul 2001
1,949 Posts
Where is a gyrocopter suppose to balance at. Mine seems to balance out at about 1" to 1 1/2" in front of the rotor. Is that about right? RCNutt