HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 05, 2013, 06:42 PM
United States, MN, Little Falls
Joined May 2009
210 Posts
Will this motor work on the assassin? http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...ushless/Detail
wynsrc is offline Find More Posts by wynsrc
Last edited by wynsrc; Jan 05, 2013 at 07:04 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 05, 2013, 06:59 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,630 Posts
I have never used it but it should work, in fact at 260 watts it should work well with a 7x6 prop.
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Old Jan 05, 2013, 07:00 PM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wynsrc View Post
Will this moter work on the assassin? http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...ushless/Detail
I don't see why not. Specs have it swinging a 7 or 8 inch prop though. Using 3 cell?

I have been using a Power Up Zoom 370 from the same web site on mine with a 6x4 prop. I did get a 400 class motor to swap out but have not put it in yet, this one http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...00-Zoom/Detail My watt meter shows I'm pushing the 370 to it's amp limit at WOT It's a slighter lighter motor than the one you have picked out above too. the quality of the Power Up motors looks real nice and they sound great.
whirlcap is offline Find More Posts by whirlcap
Old Jan 05, 2013, 07:04 PM
United States, MN, Little Falls
Joined May 2009
210 Posts
Thanks guys. I use alot of the power up motors. and i have had good luck with all them.
wynsrc is offline Find More Posts by wynsrc
Old Jan 05, 2013, 08:06 PM
no one knows i'm a dog
United States, NV, Carson City
Joined Dec 2012
10 Posts
Finally got my old bones out in the cold and maidened the Widowmaker. It flew very very nice. Kudos to Lee for a well designed airplane. I added a slab of 4 pennies (12g) in with the batt to get the balance right so the plane is at 17.2 oz. auw. The glide is unreal. It just goes forever losing altitude slowly. I'm impressed. I flew 20 min and still had power. I only landed cuz my fingers were froze. lol.. I was also amazed at how slow it would fly especially heading into about a 3mph breeze. I'm thinking though that I may have cut the back edge of the fins down too much. It yaws back and forth a little at slow speed. I'm not sure if that's normal or not. Any thoughts on that? This plane is sure going to be fun. Can't wait to fly it from some of the hills around here!
dawgpilot is offline Find More Posts by dawgpilot
Old Jan 05, 2013, 08:50 PM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,151 Posts
I found the time to swap out that 370 today for the Power Up Zoom 400 I ran a quick watt meter test and with a 6X3 the amp draw is 23 and about 260 watts. Strangely, a 6X4 draws less amps and produces less watts? Did that with the 370 motor too. Wish I undestood prop pitch more I will flight test as soon as I get over this chest cold

Sounds like your flight went well dawgpilot, glad to hear it. As for the winglets, seems like both my wings get that way at low speeds, especially the Mini Popwing with it's fairly large winglets. My Assassin had a lot of yaw before I cut the winglets way down, seems much more stable now. Still considering cutting them off completely but if flys very well now and lost a bunch of the nose drop in turns it had with the larger winglets.
Name: Zoom400.jpg
Views: 69
Size: 79.6 KB
Description:
Old Jan 05, 2013, 09:40 PM
no one knows i'm a dog
United States, NV, Carson City
Joined Dec 2012
10 Posts
Thanks whirlcap. I wont worry about it then. It looks normal to me too and what the plane should be doing to keep correcting when going slow.

I wonder did you check the RPM perhaps in your power draw tests? Could be that the lesser pitched prop is spinning much faster.

Here's a formula that's helpful: Pitch Speed = RPM x Pitch x (60/63360)

You can figure out what different props will do. In theory anyway. I suppose it depends on how much power you can get out of the motor given the weight and drag of the plane. I wish I knew more about this stuff.
dawgpilot is offline Find More Posts by dawgpilot
Last edited by dawgpilot; Jan 05, 2013 at 09:53 PM.
Old Jan 05, 2013, 09:54 PM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgpilot View Post
Thanks whirlcap. I wont worry about it then. It looks normal to me too and what the plane should be doing to keep correcting when going slow.

I wonder did you check the RPM perhaps in your power draw tests? Could be that the lesser pitched prop is spinning much faster.
Good point, some of the display is small and hard to see on my meter, not even sure if RPM is one of the readings available I need to take a better look at it next time I test. A shallower pitch should allow the motor speed to increase, I get that but I also expected less watts and amps. All I know at this time is that either prop I use (the 6X4 or 6X3) will not over work the 400. The 6X3 was way more draw than the 370 could handle without cooking. I'll have to see how the speed does next time out.
Old Jan 06, 2013, 04:14 PM
United States, MD, Kensington
Joined Dec 2008
279 Posts
Prop Saver Speed Limit

I'm trying out the Power Up 370 Zoom motor that others have recommended, but when I tried attaching the prop with a prop-saver it flew off at WOT. The plastic prop attachment that comes with the motor works fine. Do I just need more O rings, smaller O rings, or does this motor just turn too fast for a prop saver?
michaelingp is offline Find More Posts by michaelingp
Old Jan 06, 2013, 05:16 PM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelingp View Post
I'm trying out the Power Up 370 Zoom motor that others have recommended, but when I tried attaching the prop with a prop-saver it flew off at WOT. The plastic prop attachment that comes with the motor works fine. Do I just need more O rings, smaller O rings, or does this motor just turn too fast for a prop saver?
You can try different sized o-rings or double them up. I have a prop saver on my mini popwing only because it was the only adapter I had at the time that would fit, it needs double o-rings to keep the prop from flying off. Try holding the motor bell and twisting off the prop and you will get an idea of how hard (or easy) it is to make it come off. then when you add another o-ring, see how it feels.

This reminds me, I did order a collet style for my mini... I should put it on
Old Jan 06, 2013, 05:24 PM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
3,798 Posts
Why make these things so complicated, use the collet that came with the 370. Tons of flights and no broke props. Besides the shaft is too short for the prop adapter anyway
Bluhammer is offline Find More Posts by Bluhammer
Old Jan 06, 2013, 08:06 PM
Australia, TAS, Hobart
Joined Dec 2010
45 Posts
While we are on the topic of motors do you think an AXI 2204/54 would be ok to power an assassin?
Ganno is offline Find More Posts by Ganno
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: CAC Wirraway
Old Jan 06, 2013, 08:58 PM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganno View Post
While we are on the topic of motors do you think an AXI 2204/54 would be ok to power an assassin?
No, looks too small from the info I found on search. What I found says it's for a 3.5 - 11 ounce plane. AUW of a typical Assassin is about 17 oz. might fly but would be a slug.
Old Jan 07, 2013, 09:10 AM
Luis Claudio - Rio - Brazil
Brasil, RJ, Rio de Janeiro
Joined Apr 2005
2,356 Posts
Here is my Assassin in action!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ty47...wLaSDw&index=3
Luis_Claudio is offline Find More Posts by Luis_Claudio
Old Jan 07, 2013, 10:17 AM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
3,798 Posts
Luis, you are blessed living in such a beautiful country, thanks for sharing.

Blu
Bluhammer is offline Find More Posts by Bluhammer