HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 13, 2009, 04:23 PM
Blind Hawk
Seattle, WA USA
Joined Dec 2006
1,212 Posts
Thanks, pushrods are on top. I'll try the inverted test. Still seems odd it won't roll but I guess that if only one surface is moving (up) it would have problems rolling.

Sounds like this isn't a characteristic of wings so I'll keep at it.

Thanks, RdJay
rdjay is online now Find More Posts by rdjay
to remove ads between posts
Old May 13, 2009, 07:24 PM
Sparky "Electrics Rule"
Mission, BC Canada
Joined Jul 2002
3,777 Posts
I rebuilt my Swift I today. Replaced the elevons. Cleaned up some the old tape. Set-up to use 2s lipo 1000 & 1300 mah packs. Add some lead to balance correctly with the light lipo vs the 7 cell Nih I used before. I have not flown it for probably two years or more. I thought it had more power some how. But maybe it just be use to my Stryker and Pulse XT and others. Had three flights. It is a fun little wing. But I get I'll order a brushless motor for my Swift II for more power. All I need is the bl motor to build it. That or stay with my Stryker.
bobf is offline Find More Posts by bobf
Old May 14, 2009, 12:06 AM
And Repairs
Grapevine, TX
Joined Jan 2009
262 Posts
The Swift is packed up as luggage for a family wedding trip to Florida. It will be flying on the beach tomorrow which will be a first for me.

It's in a makeshift reinforced cardboard box that's within 1 inch of the baggage size limit. My wife thinks that since the number of bags is limited, she's missing out on what should have been a suitcase for more clothes. : )
TyFlies is offline Find More Posts by TyFlies
Old May 14, 2009, 12:50 AM
Sparky "Electrics Rule"
Mission, BC Canada
Joined Jul 2002
3,777 Posts
How many watts using a 8 x 4 prop and 3s on the hexTronik 24gram Brushless Outrunner 1500kv can I expect. I get about 50 watts on my speed 300.
Old May 14, 2009, 12:54 AM
Sparky "Electrics Rule"
Mission, BC Canada
Joined Jul 2002
3,777 Posts
Which of the two motors is the best
Turnigy 2730 Brushless Motor 1500kv using a 8 x 4 prop
hexTronik 24gram Brushless Outrunner 1500kv saids max 7 x 3.5 prop
Old May 15, 2009, 02:55 AM
Registered Aircraft Offender
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,532 Posts
Twin SwiftII's

This morning I finished up the twin Swifts I've been working on for my buddy and I (mine's the red one). These builds came out 0.6oz heavier than the previous build, but they have twice the carbon. I don't like the weight any more than the next guy, but hopefully the 180W setups will help us get through this Sunday when we meet up to fly. I'm going to be brave and test mine out in the wind tomorrow, since I finally get a day off.

The green and blue one:
LSPJ 24gm 2800kV motor
APC 6x5.5e
TP Prolite2 3s1350
Jeti 18 Plus esc
HXT900 servos
Spektrum 6ch rx
AUW = ??? (close to mine, but I don't have rx)

The red one:
LSPJ 24gm 2800kV motor
APC 6x5.5e
Flightpower EvoLite2 3s1350
OEMRC Pulsar 18 esc
HXT900 servos
Berg 4L rx w/ 7" antenna
AUW = 11.314oz

Cheers,
Kev

[edit: Links to the previous build, and what happened when it folded.]
Truglodite is offline Find More Posts by Truglodite
Old May 15, 2009, 03:10 PM
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobf
How many watts using a 8 x 4 prop and 3s on the hexTronik 24gram Brushless Outrunner 1500kv can I expect. I get about 50 watts on my speed 300.
That setup will draw around 8-10A, so about 80-100W. HXT outrunners are more efficient than speed 300's, so you'll feel more than double the power. One caveat, 10A through that 24gm motor will heat it up quick if you're overzealous with throttle. However it should pull just over 13oz static, which will be adequate to fly 1/2 throttle most of the time.

FYI, if I was putting a 1500kV wonder in my swift, I'd probably go with 2s460 and a gws8040hd. That setup pulls under 6A (about 40W), but it pulls around 10oz static. It won't be as ballistic as 3s, but your motor and battery will last much longer and you won't have to be so cautious with the throttle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobf
Which of the two motors is the best
Turnigy 2730 Brushless Motor 1500kv using a 8 x 4 prop
hexTronik 24gram Brushless Outrunner 1500kv saids max 7 x 3.5 prop
Those 2 motors are essentially clones; same exact dimensions, same magnets, same stator lamination, same wire... However I'd go with Turnigy, simply because the machined pattern on the Turnigy rotor has less rotating mass (more holes up front), so it should theoretically perform better.

The hex can handle an 8040hd just as well as the Turnigy. HobbyCity specs are notoriously inaccurate, so when it comes down to motor A versus motor B, I always research reviews and RCG threads before I pull the trigger and buy one (or a handful of them, which is more often the case ).

The biggest thing the Turnigy has over the hxt; a clean stator. By that I mean the Turnigy has less "green goop" insulation applied to the stator (the part that the copper is wound around). The hxt's often have an extra helping of the stuff, which gets in the way of stuffing copper in later on. This means nothing to most ppl, but the Turnigy would be much easier to work with if you ever wanted to upgrade the windings. I rewind on occasion. It can be very rewarding.

Cheers,
Kev
Old May 15, 2009, 09:18 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
842 Posts
Hi guys, this is my first post for a plane, and have just putting together my Swift II. I am using a scorpion motor with 25A ESC, 2 x HXT900 servos and an AR500 Rx. Problem is, I'm not sure what channel I'm supposed to plug the 2 servos into, since both servos are ailerons (having previously flown only helicopters). Also not sure what settings I need to set on my Dx7. Any help is greatly appreciated.
cfrank2005 is offline Find More Posts by cfrank2005
Old May 15, 2009, 09:26 PM
Sparky "Electrics Rule"
Mission, BC Canada
Joined Jul 2002
3,777 Posts
One servo goes in the aileron channel and one into the elevator channel. Then you need to turn on the elevon mix.
Old May 15, 2009, 10:11 PM
Sparky "Electrics Rule"
Mission, BC Canada
Joined Jul 2002
3,777 Posts
I'll go with 2s 1000 mah since that's the smallest I have or 3s 1320 mah I want to try it out before spending more money on yet another pack size. I am not sure why I am playing with the Swift II since I also have a Stryker and a Funjet ...etc. But I have the Swift II and I hate planes just sitting around in boxes. All I need is the motor I have everything else. The Swift is nice for small school yards rather than the club field.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truglodite
That setup will draw around 8-10A, so about 80-100W. HXT outrunners are more efficient than speed 300's, so you'll feel more than double the power. One caveat, 10A through that 24gm motor will heat it up quick if you're overzealous with throttle. However it should pull just over 13oz static, which will be adequate to fly 1/2 throttle most of the time.

FYI, if I was putting a 1500kV wonder in my swift, I'd probably go with 2s460 and a gws8040hd. That setup pulls under 6A (about 40W), but it pulls around 10oz static. It won't be as ballistic as 3s, but your motor and battery will last much longer and you won't have to be so cautious with the throttle.

Those 2 motors are essentially clones; same exact dimensions, same magnets, same stator lamination, same wire... However I'd go with Turnigy, simply because the machined pattern on the Turnigy rotor has less rotating mass (more holes up front), so it should theoretically perform better.

The hex can handle an 8040hd just as well as the Turnigy. HobbyCity specs are notoriously inaccurate, so when it comes down to motor A versus motor B, I always research reviews and RCG threads before I pull the trigger and buy one (or a handful of them, which is more often the case ).

The biggest thing the Turnigy has over the hxt; a clean stator. By that I mean the Turnigy has less "green goop" insulation applied to the stator (the part that the copper is wound around). The hxt's often have an extra helping of the stuff, which gets in the way of stuffing copper in later on. This means nothing to most ppl, but the Turnigy would be much easier to work with if you ever wanted to upgrade the windings. I rewind on occasion. It can be very rewarding.

Cheers,
Kev
Old May 15, 2009, 11:19 PM
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,532 Posts
Should fly well with 2s1000. It could be lighter, but if that's all you've got then might as well use it. I hear you with planes sitting around in boxes. I've had a Scrappy sitting in the box for over 3months. I have all the other ingredients, but I'm waiting for my back ordered Spin22 esc to arrive from HL. I wish I just got the Spin from aeromicro instead.

BTW, I maidened my swift today. I took off without checking my mixes, and I forgot I had throttle/elevator mixing on (like 50% mixing to tame a badly warped wildwing!), so the first minute or so of flight I was hanging on for the ride. Once I remembered about that mixing, I landed, turned the mix off, and the swift tracked perfectly, like a cheap flight simulator. Another SNAFU I had was the esc stalling under quick accelleration. When I got home I used my programming card to change the timing on my esc to high. Now the motor does what it's supposed to when I drop the hammer.

So far the new carbon layout seems to be working very well. I pulled several rediculously sharp turns that I thought should have snapped something, but so far it seems to be supernatural. I was intrigued by the fact that the battery starts to bulge out the bottom after a hard turn. I figured 20G's at least; anyways, it was rounding turns faster than I could react.

Cheers,
Kev
Old May 15, 2009, 11:23 PM
Sparky "Electrics Rule"
Mission, BC Canada
Joined Jul 2002
3,777 Posts
What are you running for a motor?
Old May 16, 2009, 10:35 AM
Cary, NC
Joined Oct 2006
1,476 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truglodite
I landed, turned the mix off, and the swift tracked perfectly, like a cheap flight simulator.
LMAO... man, that's the best description of flying perfection I ever heard - forget that thing with the rails .

M.
Mihai is offline Find More Posts by Mihai
Old May 16, 2009, 10:56 AM
Sideslip!
West Chester, OH
Joined Jul 2008
1,658 Posts
haha. Too bad my swift had a radio glitch, and I got nuthing coming out of a half cuban, and put it strait down. gosh. Luckily, the nose didnt tear appart, Its accually the same. But the wing does have a nice crack down the left. I need some more CA and tape. as both ripped. But thats why I have a Dx6i coming in the mail hopefuly today. and the first ar6100e I get is going RIGHT INTO THE SWIFT. Becuse Im tired of crashes cause this..
FlyingLakland is offline Find More Posts by FlyingLakland
Old May 16, 2009, 11:52 AM
Where'd The Wise Men Go?!?
United States, NE, Bellevue
Joined Sep 2007
2,997 Posts
Took my Swift out to fly some indoor laps. The guys thought I was nuts.
I gotta say this; it was a BLAST and a RUSH! Caught a few obsticles with the wings a couple times, and had a few close calls with the lights/heat ducts. After that flying I can vouch 100% on the durability of this plane! LoL

Which brings up a question.. One 'hard' crash-land I walked up to find my blue wonder in two pieces?!?! The bell/shaft got pulled out through the assembly. I put the thing back together and it operates great. But, there is no retaining clip to hold the motor on anymore... It's a pusher only motor now! Anyone ever had this happen with their motor?
AC5FF is offline Find More Posts by AC5FF