HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 19, 2013, 10:23 PM
Houston, TX
Joined May 2003
749 Posts
Discussion
Scorpion Backup Guard with CC BEC Pro compatibility

I really like the idea of the Scorpion Backup Guard but I wanted to make sure it was compatible with the CC BEC Pro. My concern has is not the BEC would fail but my flight battery or main battery connector. I just want to make sure it would not damage the CC BEC Pro or anything.

I am not trying to plug the Scorpion backup guard but for those of us that may use a receiver battery rather than a CC BEC or ESC BEC, this is a good solution if it works as advertised.

http://www.scorpionsystem.com/catalo..._Backup_Guard/
hybris is offline Find More Posts by hybris
to remove ads between posts
Old May 20, 2013, 06:30 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,928 Posts
Why not just use a separate 2s LiPo and HV servos and eliminate all the extra electronics. The more components the higher the probability of a failure. The simplest solution is usually the best solution.
RC Man is online now Find More Posts by RC Man
Old May 20, 2013, 11:58 AM
Houston, TX
Joined May 2003
749 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man View Post
Why not just use a separate 2s LiPo and HV servos and eliminate all the extra electronics. The more components the higher the probability of a failure. The simplest solution is usually the best solution.
Yes, that works well. I actually use LiFe batteries and normal servos. Same thing. I however have to charge and monitor the receiver pack. It is also added weight. This solution lets me charge just the flight pack and periodically the backup battery.
Old May 21, 2013, 12:36 PM
Clyde N.C.
Joined Oct 2003
519 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hybris View Post
I really like the idea of the Scorpion Backup Guard but I wanted to make sure it was compatible with the CC BEC Pro. My concern has is not the BEC would fail but my flight battery or main battery connector. I just want to make sure it would not damage the CC BEC Pro or anything.

I am not trying to plug the Scorpion backup guard but for those of us that may use a receiver battery rather than a CC BEC or ESC BEC, this is a good solution if it works as advertised.

http://www.scorpionsystem.com/catalo..._Backup_Guard/
To answer your original question - No
Castle bec's are switching bec's which do not like the introduction of secondary power sources. Use is still possible BUT the CC Bec would need to be protected by a diode to keep it from seeing any voltage from the back up guard.

Steve
RS Rogers is offline Find More Posts by RS Rogers
Old May 21, 2013, 12:46 PM
Houston, TX
Joined May 2003
749 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS Rogers View Post
Castle bec's are switching bec's which do not like the introduction of secondary power sources. Use is still possible BUT the CC Bec would need to be protected by a diode to keep it from seeing any voltage from the back up guard.

Steve
Thanks, that is what I was afraid of.
Old May 21, 2013, 12:52 PM
Houston, TX
Joined May 2003
749 Posts
Quote:

Steve
Is this still an issue if it is not supposed to come on until the voltage drops to 5v and I have the cc BEC set to 6v?
Old May 21, 2013, 01:04 PM
Clyde N.C.
Joined Oct 2003
519 Posts
Quote:
Is this still an issue if it is not supposed to come on until the voltage drops to 5v and I have the cc BEC set to 6v?
Theres a catch 22 there.
The instructions for the backup guard state to turn it on first before powering up everything else - theres your introduction of power to the bec.
I know some who have powered it up LAST so it doesn't actually supply power unless needed but that leaves a possibility open if its done backwards and we cant verify if its working unless we turn it on, turn it off, power up the bec & then turn it on again. Very cumbersome but do-able.
Old May 24, 2013, 02:00 AM
United States, MA, Lowell
Joined May 2004
883 Posts
But the application of this device is to backup a failed BEC or whatever other source of power you have for your RX. It doesn't say not to use it with a switching BEC. But I'm not sure what would happen if your BEC is set below 5V. Obviously the Scorpion device would start supplying voltage but would that zap the switching BEC that has not failed and is just set below 5V?
Neil_SC is offline Find More Posts by Neil_SC
Old May 24, 2013, 08:43 AM
Houston, TX
Joined May 2003
749 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil_SC View Post
But the application of this device is to backup a failed BEC or whatever other source of power you have for your RX. It doesn't say not to use it with a switching BEC. But I'm not sure what would happen if your BEC is set below 5V. Obviously the Scorpion device would start supplying voltage but would that zap the switching BEC that has not failed and is just set below 5V?
The instructions state for it to be last on, first off. The BEC should never see it. There is no functional verification though. I could always add diodes as suggested earlier. I wish Castle would chime in.
Old May 24, 2013, 09:10 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,928 Posts
Quote:
The instructions state for it to be last on, first off. The BEC should never see it. There is no functional verification though. I could always add diodes as suggested earlier. I wish Castle would chime in.

Castle has said donít use it and thatís it. I guess you could use at your own risk but donít complain when Castle wonít fix your burnt out ESC under warranty.

I have never had a problem so I look at threads like this as a joke designed to get someone to buy something that they donít need.

Old May 24, 2013, 09:40 AM
Houston, TX
Joined May 2003
749 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man View Post
Castle has said donít use it and thatís it. I guess you could use at your own risk but donít complain when Castle wonít fix your burnt out ESC under warranty.

I have never had a problem so I look at threads like this as a joke designed to get someone to buy something that they donít need.

I haven't seen a response from Castle. This thread is not a joke. I and others have had BEC (well receiver power supply) failures mostly from ejecting batteries or connector failures. And no, I would not expect Castle to warranty a repair. This is a discussion forum and you do not need to read it.
Old May 24, 2013, 10:31 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,928 Posts
Quote:
Steve
I think that Steve Rogers works for Castle.

Old May 24, 2013, 07:09 PM
United States, MA, Lowell
Joined May 2004
883 Posts
Quote:
I haven't seen a response from Castle. This thread is not a joke. I and others have had BEC (well receiver power supply) failures mostly from ejecting batteries or connector failures. And no, I would not expect Castle to warranty a repair. This is a discussion forum and you do not need to read it.
I agree it's not a joke. Running a separate battery for your radio is not redundancy. This backup guard or something like it is true power redundancy for your radio that would be great for 30cc and smaller models. Larger of course would use the power box setups with redundant batteries, but again, that's too much for a 30cc and smaller plane.

But if Steve is a Castle person and has nixed it, then I guess I have my answer. I'm curious though how a Futaba S.Bus system with remote batteries won't fry a switching BEC. Or maybe they do and you can't use S.Bus in that application.
Neil_SC is offline Find More Posts by Neil_SC
Old May 25, 2013, 08:06 AM
Clyde N.C.
Joined Oct 2003
519 Posts
Yes - I work for Castle
Let's look at this from another perspective. One of the down sides of a switching bec (any of them not just Castle) is when there limit is reached they don't fade like a linear bec they just shut down - temporarly. This would be when the bug would come on introducing power to the switching bec unless a diode is in line.
The bug is a great product and I fully see its benifit but unfortunately there are 2 many situations where it and the bec can introduce themselves without the diode so within the next week or so I plan on taking a short alerion extension and place a diode in line on the red wire and post as a bit of instruction so the bug can be used safely.

Hope this clarifies some & have a great Memorial Day Weekend!
Old May 25, 2013, 09:34 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,928 Posts
For the CC BEC Pro you will need 20A or larger diodes so that spikes won’t blow them. A capacitor after the diode might also be a good idea to smooth any switching transients.

Actually with diodes you really don’t need the Scorpion Backup Guard. You just use two diodes and a battery. When the voltage drops lower than the battery minus 0.7v the battery will provide current. You will have to slightly increase the CC BEC Pro voltage as diodes have a slight voltage drop (usually 0.7v or less). Anytime you can make it simpler you reduce the statistical probability of a failure.