Raised on 80's Pattern
Rancho Santa Margarita, CA
Joined May 2006
1,336 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuntflyr View Post
Jail time for hovering?
Chris...
Com'on......Can't we all just get along???

Doug
Fatherof4 is online now Find More Posts by Fatherof4
Old Jan 24, 2012, 09:44 AM
Horizon Employee
Joined Jan 2006
84 Posts
Rusty,

My 2 cents worth...... Current IMAC and TOC from that era are too different to really bring in much interest from the IMAC community to the event. Maybe a few Chi local guys.

Idea #1 - '79-'82 rules has the weight limit of 22lbs. Virtually NO 100cc IMAC model is nearly that light weight.....

Idea #2 - Do you mean displacement or actual engine? i.e. 3W 120 is legal...DA-120 is not?

Idea #3 and #4 - IMHO, this takes away the classic element of your event.....the reason it exists in the first place..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berusty View Post
Mike,

I thought yu might remember the model etc.

The motor is by the same guy who was responsible for the Eagle engine but was designed after. (Chip told me the details and I wasn't really paying attention looking at the photos.)

Classic TOC Unlimited Class- I seems to me if I am going to really generate some interest in Classic TOC I need to attract the current group of IMAC pilots.

Idea #1- Establish an "Unlimited Classic TOC" and allow any 100cc model that was eligible for the 1978 - 1982 event. The flight schedules would be from the last few TOC events so they are challenging!

Idea#2- Establish an "Unlimited Classic TOC" and allow any eligible engine that was used in the 78 - 94 events (thus allowing me to use my model!) in any model or reproduction of model flown at 78 - 94 event. So the S-Bach would not be eligible for example.

Idea #3- Forget about establishing any new classes and just allow anyone who wants to fly the schedule as written and award a 5% bonus to a model that fits the current Classic TOC rules with a model eligible for the 78 - 82 event.

Idea #4- Forget about the 5% bonus and just let the sticks do the talking and remember this is a hobby flying great big toys that we wanted as a kid.

Rusty Dose
Team Futaba
I believe that model airplanes are really big toys.
mmcconville is offline Find More Posts by mmcconville
Old Jan 24, 2012, 09:59 AM
United States, IL, Naperville
Joined Apr 2007
305 Posts
Of course you are correct.

I find it interesting that there is such a clear break/division between aerobatic disciplines such as F3A aerobatics, IMAC and now the classic pattern aerobatic schedules.

The Classic TOC class may never develop any interest beyond my efforts. I have created a number of Classic TOC kits to at least provide models to build/fly including:

Akromaster in electric and .90 glow
Zlin 526 in electric and .90 glow
Laser 200 in electric and .90 gear drive glow or 40cc gas

Each semi kit comes with laser cut parts, foam and plans. 100% of the proceeds go to the modelers who developed the stuff including Dave Snow and Tom Miller.

Dave Guerin and I are also building a couple of prototypes of a 110% Miss Norway which has foam wings/stab and laser cut fuse/fin and rudder. The model is set-up for a Hacker and 5s or 6s 4400 lipo.

I expect them to be at the Chicagoland Classic Pattern Championships.

Rusty Dose
Team Futaba
Attempting to push the envelope to be more classic...
Berusty is offline Find More Posts by Berusty
Old Feb 10, 2012, 03:36 PM
USA, PA, Columbia
Joined May 2002
44 Posts
Hmmm, 110% Miss Norway ?

I'm getting a set of regular Miss Norway foam cores cut as we speak . My last pattern plane was a Bob Smith T2A in the early eighties . Keep me posted on your 110% versions, although I would go gas . Not into electric but might be forced into it someday . Good luck .
Mike
mike912e is online now Find More Posts by mike912e
Old Feb 10, 2012, 08:34 PM
SoCal
Joined Feb 2004
411 Posts
IMHO the Classic TOC will never get any real interest. The models were not that good then and the style of flying is no different really then IMAC or current pattern. Classic Pattern has a home because the one maneuver per pass is a style not being flown by anything else now. But this is just my opinion.
TonyF is offline Find More Posts by TonyF
Old Feb 13, 2012, 10:46 AM
Joined Apr 2007
305 Posts
On the ground promoting at E-Fest over the weekend...

Tom and I spent attended E-Fest on Saturday. We ran into some Classic Pattern friends who said that they would be attending the event in May.

Rusty Dose
Team Futaba

Tom Dose
Old Feb 13, 2012, 04:14 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
24,772 Posts
Rusty,

Thanks for the DX7 in that photograph!

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 14, 2012, 08:28 AM
Joined Apr 2007
305 Posts
If nothing else I play well with others...

Our little GeeBee arrived last Monday and Tom can't wait to fly it. We also ordered a transmitter to fly it.

Rusty Dose
Team Futaba
Old Feb 14, 2012, 11:55 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
24,772 Posts
You are definitely going to like that model! It's the one I want to get for myself (I want a MiG too, but first I need a Gee Bee). I've been watching them fly in the Armory for a while and they are just SUPER!

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 27, 2012, 02:15 PM
Joined Apr 2007
305 Posts
Chicagoland Classic Pattern Event...Classic TOC!

models available to borrow...

Don't have an eligible classic pattern model for the event?

No problem, you may borrow one of mine! You are welcome to borrow one of the Dose Family classic models including the Sig Kommander powered by an OS .46 or the MK Champion powered by the venerable Enya .60.

Tom (7) is shown with the models from our trip to the EAA museum over the weekend to retrieve the models after they were in a special display for the last couple of years.

Both models fly very well, are available to be flown on buddy box or straight up and are no charge for the weekend event. Just let me know if you would like to use them so I can bring them for Friday's practice.

Rusty Dose
Team Futaba
Old Apr 12, 2012, 04:28 PM
Joined Apr 2007
305 Posts
Here are the maneuvers flown at the 1978 TOC

1. Inside Loop with (+) Snap (Avalanche)
2. Hammerhead
3. Slow Roll
4. 1/2 Cuban w/1 1/2 (-) Snap
5. Square Inside Loop
6. Immleman
7. Descending (+) Snap on 45 degree down line
8. Hammerhead w/1/2 Roll on down line
9. Outside Loop
10. Climbing 1/4 Roll
11. Descending 1/4 Roll
12. Four Point Roll
13. 1/2 Reverse Cuban w/1 1/2 (+) Snap
14. 45 degree Climbing Roll
15. 1 1/2 Turn Spin
16. Eight Point Roll
17. Climbing 1/2 Roll w 1/2 Outside Loop (Negative Hump)
18. Rolling Circle (4 rolls to inside or outside pilot option)
19 1/2 Cuban 8
20 Vertical Roll
Note: Maneuvers 10 & 11 are for wind correction.

Please post this every where!!

Rusty Dose
Team Futaba
Contest Director
Old May 11, 2012, 11:54 AM
Joined Apr 2007
305 Posts
I never posted the flyers...please post everywhere!!!!

Rusty Dose
Team Futaba
Old May 27, 2012, 08:12 AM
Joined Apr 2007
305 Posts
It is in the books!!

Thanks to all of the (9) pilots who attended and flew in the 3rd Annual Chicagoland Classic Pattern Championships!!!

I will have a full report with pictures on Tuesday 5/29.

Rusty Dose
Team Futaba
Old May 27, 2012, 07:32 PM
United States, IL
Joined Dec 2011
89 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berusty View Post
Thanks to all of the (9) pilots who attended and flew in the 3rd Annual Chicagoland Classic Pattern Championships!!!

I will have a full report with pictures on Tuesday 5/29.

Rusty Dose
Team Futaba
What Happened for today (Sunday)? Me and a couple others showed up and was told that the pattern contest was over...... It was great to put a couple faces to the names though. Fox valley has a great flying field!
tiporare is offline Find More Posts by tiporare