HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 26, 2011, 05:02 PM
Joined Feb 2011
463 Posts
New Product
The World's First RTF F4U Corsair with fully functional folding wings and flaps!!

Hello all, here is the new F4U Corsair hope you like! It has a 1600 mm wingspan, automatic folding wings, screw retracts, fully functional flaps, and EPO durability!
Banana Hobby CSR is offline Find More Posts by Banana Hobby CSR
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 27, 2011, 08:37 AM
I hate waiting for parts
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
6,961 Posts
While the folding wings are a nice scale touch for a static model, why in the world would anyone want folding wings on a flying model? That just seems to be yet another point of failure.
Mike_Then is offline Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Thank you, veterans
Old Apr 27, 2011, 01:09 PM
Registered User, Yes Please!
United States, SC, Clover
Joined Apr 2011
69 Posts
When will this be avalable?!?!
gtrplaya101 is offline Find More Posts by gtrplaya101
Old Apr 27, 2011, 07:28 PM
Joined Feb 2011
463 Posts
Very soon, right now it is being tested and as soon as this is complete we will post the availability date on the website.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrplaya101 View Post
When will this be avalable?!?!
Banana Hobby CSR is offline Find More Posts by Banana Hobby CSR
Old Apr 28, 2011, 05:47 PM
KJ4IKY Gravity Wins
Georgia
Joined Apr 2007
840 Posts
est price?
blade thrasher is offline Find More Posts by blade thrasher
Old Apr 29, 2011, 09:56 AM
Starting over
United States, TN
Joined Sep 2010
201 Posts
Why would you go to so much detail and put an oversized rudder on it? You guys almost got it right. But not this time. If you base your reasoning on making it fly better then your design has flaws. Furthermore this version didn't have a four blade prop. The larger the size of plane the more it should be to scale. Since this hasn't been released yet and your probably looking for input, well there is your two cents.
crashhelmet is offline Find More Posts by crashhelmet
Old Apr 29, 2011, 11:59 PM
NEWPORT BEACH, CA, USA
Joined Oct 2001
280 Posts
An exact scale-down design may not produce a good RC plane. A bigger rudder enahnces slow speed handling, especially during a go-around when sudden throttle-up at low airspeed could make your warbird left wingtip reach for the pavement.
Antaeus is online now Find More Posts by Antaeus
Old Apr 30, 2011, 11:16 PM
Fight gravity to the end!
Seattle WA
Joined Mar 2010
88 Posts
In R/C you really can't have both. It's either going to be scale and extremely difficult to fly, or it will be out of proportion and behave well in the air. As we all appreciate scale aircraft, I think the appreciation is skewed toward the mass production of easy flying aircraft. The scale model customers are very few while the average pilot (who this plane would suit) are far more in number and will be in the position to buy this plane. Let's face it crashhelmit, the person who wants and is willing to buy a perfectly scale aircraft is in a completely different market and wouldn't be looking into a foam, mass produced parkflyer aircraft. They will quite possibly build the aircraft themselves. Or if they do decide to buy it prebuilt from somewhere, they will be paying a lot more and getting a lot more than a durable and slightly out of proportion foam airframe. They'll be looking for something far more intricate and delicate and will gladly pay the premium. A product like this is more for the middle of the road between the two. Something that has more of the features and detail of a scale reproduction, the durability of a foamie, and the ease in flight of a park flyer. And all that aside, I think this looks pretty cool. Now if BH was trying to pass this off as a scale reproduction, then I think you'd have a point.
snafu_u is offline Find More Posts by snafu_u
Old May 02, 2011, 09:27 AM
Carring a parachute
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined May 2011
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Then View Post
While the folding wings are a nice scale touch for a static model, why in the world would anyone want folding wings on a flying model? That just seems to be yet another point of failure.
It would take alot of Gorrilla glue to fix that wing.
ThaKid is offline Find More Posts by ThaKid
Old May 02, 2011, 09:36 AM
Carring a parachute
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined May 2011
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snafu_u View Post
In R/C you really can't have both. It's either going to be scale and extremely difficult to fly, or it will be out of proportion and behave well in the air. As we all appreciate scale aircraft, I think the appreciation is skewed toward the mass production of easy flying aircraft. The scale model customers are very few while the average pilot (who this plane would suit) are far more in number and will be in the position to buy this plane. Let's face it crashhelmit, the person who wants and is willing to buy a perfectly scale aircraft is in a completely different market and wouldn't be looking into a foam, mass produced parkflyer aircraft. They will quite possibly build the aircraft themselves. Or if they do decide to buy it prebuilt from somewhere, they will be paying a lot more and getting a lot more than a durable and slightly out of proportion foam airframe. They'll be looking for something far more intricate and delicate and will gladly pay the premium. A product like this is more for the middle of the road between the two. Something that has more of the features and detail of a scale reproduction, the durability of a foamie, and the ease in flight of a park flyer. And all that aside, I think this looks pretty cool. Now if BH was trying to pass this off as a scale reproduction, then I think you'd have a point.
Snafu, I beg to differ. There are dozens of scale foamies out there that look more scale than this rendition of an F4U. Look at the Airfield. No oversized tail. The added weight in the wing probably offset the airodynamics thus increasing certain surfaces for stable flight. I await a clear picture and video documentation showing all areas of these plane. So in my opinion, "The Jury is still out".
ThaKid is offline Find More Posts by ThaKid
Old May 07, 2011, 07:58 AM
KJ4IKY Gravity Wins
Georgia
Joined Apr 2007
840 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blade thrasher View Post
est price?
Old May 08, 2011, 06:18 PM
Fight gravity to the end!
Seattle WA
Joined Mar 2010
88 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaKid View Post
Snafu, I beg to differ. There are dozens of scale foamies out there that look more scale than this rendition of an F4U. Look at the Airfield. No oversized tail. The added weight in the wing probably offset the airodynamics thus increasing certain surfaces for stable flight. I await a clear picture and video documentation showing all areas of these plane. So in my opinion, "The Jury is still out".
Just to play devil's advocate, if you take the rough dimensions of the full size plane and compare the rough dimensions of the r/c foamies, you'll find that many of them are out of proportion in favor of aerodynamics. Weather it's a rudder, a wing, body length, sectional elevators in place of full flying elevators, there are some creative liberties taken in order to ease it's ability to fly. While I do agree that this does have a monster fin on it, it is really no more or less 'scale' in appearance than the others. To me, 'scale' is a pretty black and white issue of a minature duplication of the origional or a redesigned version to enhance it's functionality in the air while still maintaining enough of the appearance of the origional as to closely resemble the larger plane. You have either a scale plane or your don't. Again, just my $.02. And whilke I do like it, I personally see the folding wings as a great static display feature but a possible point of failure. I doubt it would shed a wing in flight, but I wonder how long it would take before I hit the wrong switch and folded the wing in flight. Or maybe even how long it would be before things wore to the point where the wing mechanism could eventually fail.
snafu_u is offline Find More Posts by snafu_u
Old May 14, 2011, 08:14 PM
I am GBLynden
United States, WA, Lynden
Joined Mar 2011
3,066 Posts
I would buy This^ sold by a different company.
GBLynden is online now Find More Posts by GBLynden
Old May 15, 2011, 04:07 PM
SUPERB RC CRASH MASTER
Houston, Texas USA
Joined Aug 2004
987 Posts
my opinion..

Wingspan to length proportions looks spot-on. I can accept the tall-tail without complaining, as I think that this model will likely fly much better with additional surface area.

Additionally, if you want a more scale look, the verticle stab is not much trouble to mod a bit smaller should those decide to do so.

I would think that what would be of more concern with the offering would be does it have poor electronics or not..
rc crashburn is offline Find More Posts by rc crashburn
Old May 15, 2011, 04:43 PM
KJ4IKY Gravity Wins
Georgia
Joined Apr 2007
840 Posts
anyone from banana hobby want to comment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade thrasher View Post

PRICE????