HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by scottyo, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 06:26 AM
Ahh...the smell of electrons!
Finger Lakes in NY
Joined Sep 2007
141 Posts
Discussion
EPP MiroE Psquared

I enjoy building and usually use other people's plans (I've built a lot of leadfeather designs). However, I was wanting a nice EPP pattern type plane and couldn't find a plan I liked, so I looked at wing planforms and 3 views and found a combination I thought I could make work. I bought an 42" SBach wing core from motorhead (http://http://www.e-foamy.com/products/42sbach342.php), and downloaded a pdf that contained a top and side view of the Miro F3A pattern ship designed by Rod on Flying Giants. I printed the pdf at an appropriate size for the wing, designed templates as I went and put together a nice plane. I call the result the MiroE P(squared). It flies at least as well as I had hoped it would. It was a fairly complicated build and I hope to do a short build thread eventually.
scottyo is offline Find More Posts by scottyo
Last edited by scottyo; Dec 03, 2010 at 07:46 AM. Reason: Fix URLs
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 22, 2010, 09:22 AM
Account Closed
Joined Jun 2009
118 Posts
Nice clean work scottyo!
sharpewing is offline Find More Posts by sharpewing
Old Nov 26, 2010, 05:57 PM
Finger Lakes in NY
Joined Sep 2007
141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpewing View Post
Nice clean work scottyo!
Thanks for the comps!

One of the things I am most pleased with (and proud of) is the landing gear design. I got the idea from some of leadfeather's designs. Anyway, it's got built in shock absorption. (See photos below.) I've changed to a latex tube ring instead of the the o-rings (too stiff), but it works great!
Old Nov 27, 2010, 09:56 AM
Account Closed
Joined Jun 2009
118 Posts
scottyo,

I haven't seen anything like that before. Is it just two pieces of wood glued to the foam? Let me know how it works out. That design looks interesting.

Bill
sharpewing is offline Find More Posts by sharpewing
Old Dec 03, 2010, 07:22 PM
Finger Lakes in NY
Joined Sep 2007
141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpewing View Post
I haven't seen anything like that before. Is it just two pieces of wood glued to the foam?
It was two pieces of 1/8" ply (not lite) epoxied together as shown. Then I used a servo mounting bushing and hex head screw into an anchor nut to provide a "hook" to hold the other end of the "shock-absorber" o-ring/latex band (from the part wrapped around the axles). The flat insides of the ply had solid 9MM EPP to glue against. Turned out needing a bit of modification which I'll describe when I do the build thread. [It mainly needed some more buffer EPP to absorb some of the stress on a hard landing. (And you'd think I wouldn't need to keep learning things like that the hard way......video at 11...)]