SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Mar 31, 2010, 03:00 PM
Registered User
motorhead's Avatar
Kansas, USA
Joined Sep 1999
3,978 Posts
I will be doing both a 32" flat foamy and a 42" with an airfoil wing.

I will definitely be posting. I am one that likes to keep things open source and I post plans for all my kits.

Mike
motorhead is online now Find More Posts by motorhead
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 31, 2010, 03:29 PM
Registered User
yardboz1's Avatar
LaSalle, Illinois
Joined Sep 2007
476 Posts
Thanks for the heads up Mike. Can't believe I missed both of these threads! Will definitely be building one as soon as I finish up my 42" Edge.

Sterling
yardboz1 is offline Find More Posts by yardboz1
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2010, 05:54 PM
Registered User
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
5,006 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
I will be doing both a 32" flat foamy and a 42" with an airfoil wing.

I will definitely be posting. I am one that likes to keep things open source and I post plans for all my kits.

Mike
Are the ready yet? LOL!!! Can't wait.
jetinteriorguy is online now Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 02, 2010, 05:25 PM
Buildin'em and flyin'em
JaggedEdge's Avatar
United States, NY, Erie
Joined Dec 2007
447 Posts
Couple pics of my progress. Should have this one ready tonight.
All the pieces are cut and cf rods glued in place. Since my sheets weren't long enough I decided to add wingtips rather than adding the fuse. glued using 5 minute epoxy. I extended the rod for the wings to help secure the wing tips.

Beveled the ail/elev edges with sandpaper.

Will be running a GWS EP8040 prop with a hextronik 1300kv motor on 25c 3s 850mah pack.

Brushless Outrunner Motor - hexTronik 24gram 1300kv
Kv - 1300rpm/v
Max Load: 7.5A
No Load Current: 0.7A
Suggested Lipo: 3 cell 11.1v
Thrust: 400g+
Suggested Prop: 8x3.8
Weight: 20g
JaggedEdge is offline Find More Posts by JaggedEdge
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 02, 2010, 11:25 PM
Buildin'em and flyin'em
JaggedEdge's Avatar
United States, NY, Erie
Joined Dec 2007
447 Posts
Airframe almost completed.
Hot glue hinges worked great.

Thanks again spitfire222.
JaggedEdge is offline Find More Posts by JaggedEdge
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 02, 2010, 11:30 PM
Registered User
yardboz1's Avatar
LaSalle, Illinois
Joined Sep 2007
476 Posts
Lookin' good so far! What paint scheme are you planning?

Sterling
yardboz1 is offline Find More Posts by yardboz1
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 04, 2010, 12:26 PM
Buildin'em and flyin'em
JaggedEdge's Avatar
United States, NY, Erie
Joined Dec 2007
447 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yardboz1 View Post
Lookin' good so far! What paint scheme are you planning?

Sterling
Stock red/black/white.

I put some simple landing gear on mine.
Complete auw with landing gear 11.3 oz or about 320 grams.

I'll get some pics soon.
JaggedEdge is offline Find More Posts by JaggedEdge
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 04, 2010, 12:36 PM
Buildin'em and flyin'em
JaggedEdge's Avatar
United States, NY, Erie
Joined Dec 2007
447 Posts
Hope to do paint soon.
Plan on making gear removable.
JaggedEdge is offline Find More Posts by JaggedEdge
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 05, 2010, 09:46 AM
You know how we do
Spitfire222's Avatar
Maryland
Joined Jan 2010
120 Posts
Looking great JaggedEdge! I'm interested in seeing your motor mount set-up in pic #2 above. This is my first outrunner-powered foamie, and I tried mounting the motor the way I've seen countless other people do it. But whether I use epoxy or Gorilla Glue, more than half the time I land, the motor mount rips out. Not sure of it's my landing style or the mounting style, but I never had that problem with my geared inrunner foamies with stick mounts. Maybe I need to add more foam to the mounting area for more gluing surface?

Here are 2 pics from this weekend, showing the launch. Unfortunately, a gust wind came up right on launch. I didn't increase throttle fast enough and it got "pushed" into the ground. I think I might go ahead and build a new one.

-Vincent
Spitfire222 is offline Find More Posts by Spitfire222
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 05, 2010, 04:14 PM
Registered User
yardboz1's Avatar
LaSalle, Illinois
Joined Sep 2007
476 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire222 View Post
I think I might go ahead and build a new one.

-Vincent

Go for it Vincent! Greatest thing about these, it's only foam!

Sterling
yardboz1 is offline Find More Posts by yardboz1
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 06, 2010, 11:59 AM
Buildin'em and flyin'em
JaggedEdge's Avatar
United States, NY, Erie
Joined Dec 2007
447 Posts
Sorry about the mishap. Yay for foamies.

As far as the motor mount.. I cut out 4 triangles of foam and glued them 45 degrees from the fuse and wings to support the square of foam. I poked some holes in the square piece of foam and then epoxied the ply mount to the foam. I'm pretty sure the holes in the foam gave some extra strength.

This 1300kv motor doesn't give as much vertical as I'd like. Will probably pick up the 1500kv and see how it does. Maybe I should look into cutting out some weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire222 View Post
Looking great JaggedEdge! I'm interested in seeing your motor mount set-up in pic #2 above. This is my first outrunner-powered foamie, and I tried mounting the motor the way I've seen countless other people do it. But whether I use epoxy or Gorilla Glue, more than half the time I land, the motor mount rips out. Not sure of it's my landing style or the mounting style, but I never had that problem with my geared inrunner foamies with stick mounts. Maybe I need to add more foam to the mounting area for more gluing surface?

Here are 2 pics from this weekend, showing the launch. Unfortunately, a gust wind came up right on launch. I didn't increase throttle fast enough and it got "pushed" into the ground. I think I might go ahead and build a new one.

-Vincent
JaggedEdge is offline Find More Posts by JaggedEdge
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 06, 2010, 04:25 PM
Buildin'em and flyin'em
JaggedEdge's Avatar
United States, NY, Erie
Joined Dec 2007
447 Posts
A lot like this DW foamie:
http://static.rcgroups.com/forums/at...g?d=1187190374
JaggedEdge is offline Find More Posts by JaggedEdge
Last edited by JaggedEdge; Apr 09, 2010 at 09:50 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 07, 2010, 05:30 PM
Buildin'em and flyin'em
JaggedEdge's Avatar
United States, NY, Erie
Joined Dec 2007
447 Posts
Removed the landing gear and got the weight down to 10.7ounces or 303grams.
JaggedEdge is offline Find More Posts by JaggedEdge
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 07, 2010, 08:35 PM
You know how we do
Spitfire222's Avatar
Maryland
Joined Jan 2010
120 Posts
Thanks for the pics with the motor mounts. I'll try that on the next one. Are you planning on painting before or after the maiden?
Spitfire222 is offline Find More Posts by Spitfire222
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 08, 2010, 12:38 PM
Buildin'em and flyin'em
JaggedEdge's Avatar
United States, NY, Erie
Joined Dec 2007
447 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire222 View Post
Thanks for the pics with the motor mounts. I'll try that on the next one. Are you planning on painting before or after the maiden?
I flew it a couple times.

Had to sort out the elevator and ailerons to get the throws even.
Hope its calm enough after work to check it out again.
JaggedEdge is offline Find More Posts by JaggedEdge
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Build Log RCBirdz ( Eagle ) - Build Thread with Free Plans rcbirdz Foamies (Scratchbuilt) 106 Jun 15, 2014 08:19 AM
New Product Pilot RC's SBach 342 30cc!! Mchone, Jake Scale Fuel Planes 28 Dec 29, 2010 09:28 PM
New Product the first 100cc Sbach 342 in the world(pics and video) pilot-rc Giant Scale Airplanes 0 Sep 18, 2009 07:03 AM
Discussion Two Seat Sbach 342 james-bai Fuel Plane Talk 1 Jul 21, 2009 01:05 AM
Discussion Sbach 342 power system? 150grams BpPilot Indoor Pattern/F3P 5 Apr 11, 2009 09:06 PM