HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 31, 2009, 03:29 PM
Canada, ON, Port Colborne
Joined Mar 2005
132 Posts
Question
Looking for Steam Tugboat Plans

Whilst "cruising" the web for a new project I came upon this beautiful (Remember beauty is in the eye of the beholder) NY harbor steam tub built in the late 1880's. Now I need to find a set of plans close to the shape of the hull. From all of the reading I have been doing I would guess the length to be about 105-110 feet long.

So far I have looked at the Two plans that Taubman has, the Brooklin Tug and the NY Central Harbor Tug. Neither of which seems to mach the hull although looking at a tiny pic of a tug doesn't tell you much. The Brooklin tug seems broader in the bow and the NY Central doesn't have the freeboard. I have found a couple of similar tugs that show the lines a little more,

While both are slightly different the hulls seem close to what I am looking for.

Anyone have a clue as to where I can find plans for the hull, I know that the pilot house will have to be scratch built from the photo but the hull and lower deck house should be standard IF a plan exists.

To think I'd be going to all of this trouble and I'm not even a New Yorker!!

Alex
Toronto, Canada
niterdr is offline Find More Posts by niterdr
Last edited by niterdr; Jul 31, 2009 at 03:35 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 31, 2009, 03:44 PM
Chula Vista, Ca.
Joined May 2006
312 Posts
Is this something like want you want ?
mrbassman is offline Find More Posts by mrbassman
Old Jul 31, 2009, 04:10 PM
Joined Mar 2005
132 Posts
Brassman, It does look about right! How does it look with the front fenders out of the way? The freeboard and style look like the period. Is it yours? If so was it a kit or from plans?

Alex
Old Jul 31, 2009, 04:22 PM
Chula Vista, Ca.
Joined May 2006
312 Posts
Hi Alex, it's mine. That's the Seguin from Midwest. That's the older kit that was plank-on-frame. I believe the kit they make now is a fiberglass hull.

Ken
Old Jul 31, 2009, 06:12 PM
Drydock Captian
Spanaway, WA
Joined Jul 2006
1,604 Posts
Well some one beat me to it but I was going to suggest the Seguin, as a kit. Mr Bass you have a very nice looking tig there.

Check out Loyalhanna dockyard for plans they have alot of steam era tugs in their list of plans and hulls. Prices are about average for either.

Massey
Massey is offline Find More Posts by Massey
Old Jul 31, 2009, 06:28 PM
Dinosaursoupman
Joined Jul 2009
29 Posts
Plans for the Hercules, a steam tug built in 1907 in Camden N.J. are available for free here; http://frontiers.loc.gov/cgi-bin/que...o+County,+CA))

Randy
dinosaursoupma is offline Find More Posts by dinosaursoupma
Last edited by dinosaursoupma; Jul 31, 2009 at 06:34 PM.
Old Jul 31, 2009, 07:18 PM
Joined Feb 2009
822 Posts
Micro Mark currently has Sequin kits on sale. Might be the old wood hull type. Also check out tugboat Wautuppa that used to appear on the old Dynamic Models catalog.
Nederlander is offline Find More Posts by Nederlander
Old Jul 31, 2009, 07:46 PM
Owner of SSY
United States, CA, Long Beach
Joined Oct 2005
561 Posts
Hi Ken:

Nice job on the Sequin, she looks like she is running real noce as well.
W.L Upshaw is offline Find More Posts by W.L Upshaw
Old Jul 31, 2009, 08:22 PM
"day ain't over yet-"
Western N.Y. winemaking country
Joined Jun 2005
9,759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbassman
Hi Alex, it's mine. That's the Seguin from Midwest. That's the older kit that was plank-on-frame. I believe the kit they make now is a fiberglass hull.Ken
Ken, I think Midwest has discontinued the Seguin, wood kit and fiberglass one as well.

For the record, Midwest "borrowed" Microglass' fiberglass Seguin hull, had it manufactured in China, and introduced it as their own---.

However, Microglass still makes that hull---.
der kapitan is offline Find More Posts by der kapitan
Old Jul 31, 2009, 09:02 PM
Chula Vista, Ca.
Joined May 2006
312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by der kapitan
Ken, I think Midwest has discontinued the Seguin, wood kit and fiberglass one as well.

For the record, Midwest "borrowed" Microglass' fiberglass Seguin hull, had it manufactured in China, and introduced it as their own---.

However, Microglass still makes that hull---.
Can Midwest (or anyone) do that? Is there anything you can do about it?

I feel Midwest is going downhill anyway, so adios to Midwest

Ken
Old Aug 01, 2009, 01:45 AM
Joined Mar 2005
132 Posts
Does anyone have the plans for the Midwest plank on frame Seguin? The only wooden Seguin right now is the 26 inch Bluejacket kit. I have not been able to find anything on the Watappa kit or plans. If anyone has the plans of either I would be more than willing to pay to have them copied and shipped.

I have built one of the older Midwest tugs not the seguin though.Then I decided to give it a nicer superstructure Sorry about the picture quality, I have been meaning to update the photos...
Old Aug 01, 2009, 11:30 AM
Joined Feb 2009
822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by niterdr
Does anyone have the plans for the Midwest plank on frame Seguin? The only wooden Seguin right now is the 26 inch Bluejacket kit. I have not been able to find anything on the Watappa kit or plans. If anyone has the plans of either I would be more than willing to pay to have them copied and shipped.

I have built one of the older Midwest tugs not the seguin though.Then I decided to give it a nicer superstructure Sorry about the picture quality, I have been meaning to update the photos...
Dynamic did not make a Wautuppa kit. The cover image was a one off built on one of their hulls. Here is a link to photos of the Tug. Note the photographer also took the Bess photos.
Old Aug 01, 2009, 11:49 AM
"day ain't over yet-"
Western N.Y. winemaking country
Joined Jun 2005
9,759 Posts
Big Dutch, you forgot to add the link.

It's been so long since Dynamic went under, I've forgotten most of what they offered---.

A shame, because they took the better part of the Staubitz line down with them---.
der kapitan is offline Find More Posts by der kapitan
Old Aug 01, 2009, 01:35 PM
Boats on the brain!!
Arnold, Mo.
Joined Jul 2005
4,611 Posts
Micro Marks' Sequin is the 26" Bluejacket model.
green-boat is offline Find More Posts by green-boat
Old Aug 01, 2009, 02:13 PM
Joined Feb 2009
822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by der kapitan
Big Dutch, you forgot to add the link.

It's been so long since Dynamic went under, I've forgotten most of what they offered---.

A shame, because they took the better part of the Staubitz line down with them---.

Oops! Here is the link: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nypl/3110606352/