HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 23, 2014, 06:16 AM
Gravity gives sinking feeling
Joined Jun 2011
1,903 Posts
Hi Dave,

I've very similar NTM motor in my Mentor atm . I use only 10/7 prop 3S lipos and can stay up for 6 or 8 minutes depending on the age of the lipo but I do't do 3D flying.

You're planning to use 4S so that motor can cope with it and I'll be surprised if it does not make a vertical climb on take off OPTO ESC should be fine. I use a HK Redbrick 50 amp ESC - cheap as chips.

HTH

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davey NY View Post
Perfect info thanks as you guys can tell I am getting ducks in order for my next aquisition!

I have an Opto 80 amp esc and 5v Ubec waiting to go with the following motor

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=19831

I have all this stuff lying around already so I figure I'll use it all.
I'll be running her 4s 4000mah batteries and intend on swinging a 13" prop.
Can anyone help me in determining how to mount this: I also have the access pack which is the mount and collet adapter listed below.

ALL insight is welcome and thank you guys !!!

David
CurrentDude is offline Find More Posts by CurrentDude
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 23, 2014, 07:23 AM
Ya gotta land eventually...
United States, NY, Mahopac
Joined Sep 2010
1,098 Posts
Sweet.. that was my thinking.. want her to pretty much have huge bailout potential and try her at some very light and fun 3D stuff.. knife edging etc...

Any issues with mounting the motor? Do you recommend the aluminum upgrade i get get (aftermarket i think?)

Thanks

D
Davey NY is offline Find More Posts by Davey NY
Old Jul 23, 2014, 08:06 AM
Joined Jun 2011
1,903 Posts
Quote:
Sweet.. that was my thinking.. want her to pretty much have huge bailout potential and try her at some very light and fun 3D stuff.. knife edging etc...

Any issues with mounting the motor? Do you recommend the aluminum upgrade i get get (aftermarket i think?)

Thanks

D
Why fix it if it ain't broke

Then you can change it Al but I doubt if you'll need it unless you plant her 2' deep.

Cheers
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 23, 2014, 08:18 AM
Joined Sep 2010
1,098 Posts
Oh no no.. what I mean is I was wondering if anyone had problems with the mounting pattern of the HK motors. I know sometimes the bolt/screw patterns dont line up..
Old Jul 23, 2014, 09:57 AM
Joined Jun 2011
1,903 Posts
I don't recall any difficulty in installing a NTM motor. I think I used lock tight and ensured the prop was balanced.

Some members have reported too much vibration/ vibration noise. I noticed initially but not nothing unusual in the last 12 months.

Cheers

Quote:
Oh no no.. what I mean is I was wondering if anyone had problems with the mounting pattern of the HK motors. I know sometimes the bolt/screw patterns dont line up..
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 23, 2014, 10:25 AM
Joined Sep 2010
1,098 Posts
Thanks man.

I always had good results with using glue gun to dampen vibration and of course balancing prop
Old Jul 28, 2014, 08:49 AM
Kamikaze Ace
USA, FL, Lakeland
Joined Jan 2010
2,386 Posts
Late to the party again, but I have an excuse. I stuck with my Magister till the end. The end being a stuck servo that did her in.

Picked up the Mentor, and was surprised and sorta shocked. Seemed like Multiplex fixed some of the bad from the Magister and added some to the Mentor.

Up in the air about the landing gear, I did toss the stock wheels and added balloons and a tail wheel upgrade, also added toe in. Will see how she handles before moving the gear further back.

Dumped those silly cowl latches and transplanted the hold downs from the Magister.

And what the heck were they thinking with the motor mount system? To me that's a darn shame. Littlest tweak and it would have broken, and/or snapped the nose off the way it's built. Since mine is over powered, I added 1/4" thick lite ply spars from just in front of the rear exhausts, through the tubes, across the front pieces and built a new aluminum motor mount.
I shimmed the motor vs using the single screw and 4 adjusters, mine uses 6 screws to hold the firewall on.

And like said mine's over powered. It's running a 60 class motor, spinning a 13x8x3 prop on 6S. Packs use the idea found here with the removable tray for ease of install.

Worked out well, just slightly nose heavy and that was taken care of by moving the rx to under the cover for the tow hook. Removed a little foam, and added some Velcro to the cover to keep it in place. And still have room for the hook set up if I want to add it later.

Lastly, for now, I left the wing as a two piece. Rather then trusting just those two plastic retainers, I sliced a sliver of foam off each inboard end of the wing. Industrial Velcro placed on them and now once together they stay stuck.

Other then some orientation paint, she's void of any markings. Going to see how she does before dressing her up.

Hopefully tomorrow morning she'll get her maiden and will report back the results.
Glacier Girl is offline Find More Posts by Glacier Girl
Old Jul 28, 2014, 10:39 AM
Joined Jun 2011
1,903 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacier Girl View Post
Late to the party again, but I have an excuse. I stuck with my Magister till the end. The end being a stuck servo that did her in.

Picked up the Mentor, and was surprised and sorta shocked. Seemed like Multiplex fixed some of the bad from the Magister and added some to the Mentor.

Up in the air about the landing gear, I did toss the stock wheels and added balloons and a tail wheel upgrade, also added toe in. Will see how she handles before moving the gear further back.

Dumped those silly cowl latches and transplanted the hold downs from the Magister.

And what the heck were they thinking with the motor mount system? To me that's a darn shame. Littlest tweak and it would have broken, and/or snapped the nose off the way it's built. Since mine is over powered, I added 1/4" thick lite ply spars from just in front of the rear exhausts, through the tubes, across the front pieces and built a new aluminum motor mount.
I shimmed the motor vs using the single screw and 4 adjusters, mine uses 6 screws to hold the firewall on.

And like said mine's over powered. It's running a 60 class motor, spinning a 13x8x3 prop on 6S. Packs use the idea found here with the removable tray for ease of install.

Worked out well, just slightly nose heavy and that was taken care of by moving the rx to under the cover for the tow hook. Removed a little foam, and added some Velcro to the cover to keep it in place. And still have room for the hook set up if I want to add it later.

Lastly, for now, I left the wing as a two piece. Rather then trusting just those two plastic retainers, I sliced a sliver of foam off each inboard end of the wing. Industrial Velcro placed on them and now once together they stay stuck.

Other then some orientation paint, she's void of any markings. Going to see how she does before dressing her up.

Hopefully tomorrow morning she'll get her maiden and will report back the results.
Hi GG,

Welcome to Mentor club.

Good luck with maiden. It seems to me you LOVE POWER... 6s wow... that's OTT IMO but what the heck... go for it. It might make a vertical take off tho. You've been warned

I'd not change the undercarriage position - that'll save any nose over if you do glider towing.

Agree those catches are silly -I've binned them and used my own design catch which ensures canopy never comes off. Canopy did come off once while carrying the model across a busyish road. A car narrowly missed it - so that was that decided not having that. My catch works and canopy will never come off even if I plant the model.

I always give benefit of the doubt to the manufacturer before doing any major change or surgery. Fortunately, Mentor did not need any and she flies at scale speed so gracefully.

Adding ply as firewall is a good idea - if you're prepared to do that extra work.

Cheers
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 28, 2014, 12:07 AM
Chicago, IL
Joined Nov 2009
3,039 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacier Girl View Post

Would you mind sharing a photo of your motor mount?
Thanks
vienquach is online now Find More Posts by vienquach