SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 31, 2001, 01:14 AM
Ontario Int, California, United States
Joined Feb 2001
628 Posts
Forget about the X-250- Global's SST 09 rocks!!!

Hello guys, I just can't help but share my excitement about my new electric conversion SST 09 from Global-I bought it last friday at Hobbypeople-instore sale for $59.00-it took me one night to put everything-using a 9 x 6 prop from my ferias, electrifly cs20 and a 480 motor with metal gearbox and only using my reliable 8.4 600mah nicad-it flew with authority!! I even able to roll it. I'am of course only using a 3 channel-but it ain't hard to convert it to 4 channel using rudder too with the ailerons-for $59.00 ARF!!! I since gave up on purchasing the X-250 because of the time spent building it plus I don't own a 4 channel yet but the SST 09 in my own opinion can match X-250's flying characteristics using a more potent motor/battery combination and you'll be in the flying field sooner like me! Give it a try guys-you won't regret it.
tnsfrk is offline Find More Posts by tnsfrk
to remove ads between posts
Old May 31, 2001, 01:28 AM
Acme Powered!
Orange,CA
Joined Jul 2000
4,040 Posts
What motor and gearbox did you use for the conversion. Will it take off from pavement. I have been thinking about doing the same thing my self.
Joe
Joe Elston is offline Find More Posts by Joe Elston
Old May 31, 2001, 04:24 AM
heli on the brain
Apple Valley/Victorville, Ca
Joined Apr 2001
544 Posts
...i was looking at the same deal last week (oddly at the same store probably!), and was thinking about putting a P450T in it. I opted to save the motor for some other future project, and like a kid in a candy store sale, ended up buying a Mirage instead which was also on sale for only 39$. The SST does look like it would take a stronger electric conversion very well, glad to know its capable of getting some of that 'wish i had a X250' off of the brain!

DeZ
dezflyer is offline Find More Posts by dezflyer
Old May 31, 2001, 02:43 PM
Texas
Joined Aug 1999
5,110 Posts
Mike,

I just want to point out a couple things.

You can run the 8x4 on 7 cells at ~19 amps or 8 cells on a 7" prop with no problems, but a 450 with direct drive, with an 8x4, and an 8x800 pulls more than the 20 amp limit of the 450. If the prop unloads well, the 450 may last for a few flights, but if you cross that 20 amp limit, the 450 will not last long.

In addition, I would head the RPM limits of the APC prop. These props are meant to fit on geared motors and they have RPM limits. I blew off these limits and ran one on a 450 direct. Consequently, I had a prop shatter without warning. A blade separated violently as if it had hit something although it had not. Thankfully, I was not in the line of fire as the prop when sailing across my garage.

Dave
dave_lilley is offline Find More Posts by dave_lilley
Old May 31, 2001, 03:19 PM
Make Haste Slowly
USA, KY, Lexington
Joined Nov 1999
966 Posts
Dave - APC makes several props in the 8x4 size. They make a slowly, freeflight, and a thin electric version. The thin electric version should stand up to some pretty serious RPM as it is designed for direct drive. The freeflight version will take even more as it is designed for .25 size glow engines. I know that a friend of mine is using an APC 8x4 on an Electrostreak that turns about 13K RPM with no problems although I'm not sure if it is an E version or freeflight version.

The slowfly prop should definitely be used on a small motor and gearbox. These are the only ones I have seen an RPM warning with.

I am also curious about the current draw of that combo. I know most people run that motor on a 6x4 with 8-cells. An 8x4 would definitely load it up pretty good.

Keith

[This message has been edited by realdeal (edited 05-31-2001).]
realdeal is offline Find More Posts by realdeal
Old May 31, 2001, 04:23 PM
jsc
Where does it all end?
Boise/Nampa Idaho
Joined May 2000
592 Posts
It only took me 5 days to build my x-250. I am sure it flies just as well, but I am 100% positive it is way easier on the eyes.
Jeff
jsc is offline Find More Posts by jsc
Old May 31, 2001, 06:12 PM
Old Timer
CARMICHAEL, CALIFORNIA USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,912 Posts
I run the APC 8x4E on my Veco .19 (a slimmer) at more than 20,000 rpm without problems. Your prop must heve been damaged at some time before the failure. Eut
Quote:
Originally posted by dave_lilley:
Mike,

I just want to point out a couple things.

You can run the 8x4 on 7 cells at ~19 amps or 8 cells on a 7" prop with no problems, but a 450 with direct drive, with an 8x4, and an 8x800 pulls more than the 20 amp limit of the 450. If the prop unloads well, the 450 may last for a few flights, but if you cross that 20 amp limit, the 450 will not last long.

In addition, I would head the RPM limits of the APC prop. These props are meant to fit on geared motors and they have RPM limits. I blew off these limits and ran one on a 450 direct. Consequently, I had a prop shatter without warning. A blade separated violently as if it had hit something although it had not. Thankfully, I was not in the line of fire as the prop when sailing across my garage.

Dave
California Condor is offline Find More Posts by California Condor
Old May 31, 2001, 07:19 PM
Tyler, Texas, United States
Joined May 2001
168 Posts
I would agree with the reply by JSC. My X-250 built in less time than most ARF's. It is also much better looking than the SST.

Leonard
Leonard is offline Find More Posts by Leonard
Old May 31, 2001, 10:26 PM
Ontario Int, California, United States
Joined Feb 2001
628 Posts
-not as fast as the SST 09-it even came pre-hinged-just add CA. There is no question the X-250 looks prettier-but try to compare that with the SST 09 at $59.00 and comparable ability to tear up the sky-there is no question-it's a better buy-Thanks Mike for the info.-I just added a CANOPY out of a small water bottle-cut to shape and spray painted the inside black-man, it's awesome! I can't wait to buy a 4 channel and convert this to a full house. Good luck fellow e-flyers!!!
tnsfrk is offline Find More Posts by tnsfrk
Old May 31, 2001, 11:54 PM
Texas
Joined Aug 1999
5,110 Posts
Many of the e-props like the Graupner Slim Props and APC props are rated at ~13-14 RPMs or less. While they may survive for a while, all it takes is one hairline defect or crack. I was just sounding the word of caution.

Dave
dave_lilley is offline Find More Posts by dave_lilley
Old Jun 01, 2001, 01:24 AM
Fountain Valley, CA USA
Joined Oct 2000
500 Posts
Gentlemen,

FYI, we've flown that plane with motors ranging from the basic Ezette 380 motor/gearbox/prop to a cobalt 05 on 7 cells direct.

Personally, I like the Multiplex Turbo 450 with direct drive (APC 8x4E Prop), and 8 800AR cells. Run time is a little short (about 3 minutes at full throttle) but the performance is excellent and the battery/motor system is much lighter than the Cobalt.

It takes off from asphault, rolls, loops, etc. and for such a small plane is quite easy to fly and predictable.

Remember, this design has been around since the 70's and I've been flying different version of it since I was quite young.

This ARF version was lightened and modified so that whether you chose an AP 09 or an electric system, the plane would maintain it's best flight characteristics.

Now, of course, my opinion is biased, but I really enjoy this plane and always keep one ready to go.

Have fun,

Mike Greenshields
Hobby People/Global Hobby
Product Manager
mikeg@hobbypeople.net
Mike Greenshields is offline Find More Posts by Mike Greenshields