HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 10, 2013, 09:02 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pherz View Post
I thought about the position of the rx/servo and concluded that it needs to be positioned at the cg on the same direction that the plane flies. That is the way it looks to be situated in the UMX Beast. Which I think is the same thing as what you said " it needs to be mounted parallel to the angle of attack"

To move the cg and the wing further forward, so the leading edge of the wing is 2.125" from the front of the fuselage, I will try a bigger battery and lighter pushrods. I don't think it will take much to do this.

If the above does not work, my thought is to move the landing gear forward. Unfortunately, I have already securely glued them to the forward wing brace
Maybe I can't tell from the photo but it looks like the board is mounted against the back of the airfoil. That puts it at an angle in relation to the angle of attack. Yes it does need to be centered on the CG, however they don't give you that specific location on the board. However Horizon does provide documentation for the AS3X board that does not have servos. They say the board must be mounted parallel to the fuselage with the motor leads facing forward.

Moving the landing gear in font of the battery mount would probably do it.

What ever parts you need to make mods, just say the word and they are on the way.
jkarpy is offline Find More Posts by jkarpy
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 10, 2013, 09:25 PM
United States, CT, Stamford
Joined Mar 2011
168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkarpy View Post
What ever parts you need to make mods, just say the word and they are on the way.
In one picture it shows the Rx/servo just temporarily hanging in place. It actually fits on the fuse, like the battery tray, toward the front of the wing and centered (not necessarily accurately, but by eye) at the cg. There is another picture there showing the part mounted under the wing.

As to the parts, I appreciate the offer. However, because of great kit making, you included an extra laser cut set of parts with the ARF. So, thanks for thinking of my needs before I even knew I needed it:
pherz is offline Find More Posts by pherz
Old Sep 12, 2013, 08:02 AM
Joined Mar 2011
168 Posts
OK. The build is almost complete. However, I am going away for a few days and this will have to wait.

I am now at 104 g. The CG is close to what you suggest, but, not exactly. You can see on the picture attached that I am about 3/8 inch back from the center spar.
Should I add weight to move the cg forward?

I am flying with a 200mah 2s 30C battery and the original UMX Beast prop. Is there a more appropriate prop you would suggest? Or, should I just fly the thing and see where it goes from there?

Thanks
Old Sep 12, 2013, 11:59 AM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Quote:
OK. The build is almost complete. However, I am going away for a few days and this will have to wait.

I am now at 104 g. The CG is close to what you suggest, but, not exactly. You can see on the picture attached that I am about 3/8 inch back from the center spar.
Should I add weight to move the cg forward?

I am flying with a 200mah 2s 30C battery and the original UMX Beast prop. Is there a more appropriate prop you would suggest? Or, should I just fly the thing and see where it goes from there?

Thanks
I think the CG needs to move forward since you don't have power to get out of trouble. I would do a pull-pull to get rid of the piano wire weight.

Here is how to do a pull-pull with a linear servo.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 12, 2013, 03:12 PM
Joined Mar 2011
168 Posts
Quote:
I think the CG needs to move forward since you don't have power to get out of trouble. I would do a pull-pull to get rid of the piano wire weight.

Here is how to do a pull-pull with a linear servo.
What about getting rid of the tail skid and replacing it with an .75 long piece of wire tie material?

Btw, i am using .020 piano wire for the pushrods

Any thoughts on the prop?
Last edited by pherz; Sep 12, 2013 at 03:40 PM.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 03:54 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Quote:
What about getting rid of the tail skid and replacing it with an .75 long piece of wire tie material?

Btw, i am using .020 piano wire for the pushrods

Any thoughts on the prop?
Prop? For the 2200 KV version they say up to 6x3 on 2 cells. Keep in mind you only have a 5 amp ESC. Putt it on an amp meter. That ESC has overload protection after 5.8A for 1ms.

If the wire tie material is lighter, go for it.

James
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 12, 2013, 08:18 PM
Joined Mar 2011
168 Posts
Quote:
Prop? For the 2200 KV version they say up to 6x3 on 2 cells. Keep in mind you only have a 5 amp ESC. Putt it on an amp meter. That ESC has overload protection after 5.8A for 1ms.

If the wire tie material is lighter, go for it.

James
Good information. I had no idea what the amperage is or how to even find it.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 08:53 AM
Joined Mar 2011
168 Posts
Today is the day! I plan on maidenning (sp?) my UMX AS3X Beast/Millenium Micro SSX Stik today. I was going to fly it the other day, but, quickly learned that the aileron servos were reversed. So, everything is ready and checked properly. Cameras at the ready, I will post pictures later.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 09:38 AM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Quote:
Today is the day! I plan on maidenning (sp?) my UMX AS3X Beast/Millenium Micro SSX Stik today. I was going to fly it the other day, but, quickly learned that the aileron servos were reversed. So, everything is ready and checked properly. Cameras at the ready, I will post pictures later.
Good luck!
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 20, 2013, 11:19 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Quote:
How did it go?
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 21, 2013, 12:57 AM
Joined Mar 2011
168 Posts
Quote:
How did it go?
Absolutely great! Here is the link to the video:

Micro SSX Stik w UMX Beast guts (3 min 39 sec)

Tomorrow or Sunday I will try with a 6x3 prop, which should give me a 98 W/lb rating.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 08:01 AM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Quote:

http://vimeo.com/75075767

Tomorrow or Sunday I will try with a 6x3 prop, which should give me a 98 W/lb rating.
That worked great! How was the vertical performance? Did the stabilization help?

I will be doing a version of the micro SSX for this system. You can beta build it if you are interested.

James
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 21, 2013, 08:09 AM
United States, AR, Lockesburg
Joined Feb 2012
1,075 Posts
James, real work has been keeping me out of the shop. Not having any problems with the SSX and the new tail looks great. Be back on it after next week.
Petrie is offline Find More Posts by Petrie
Old Sep 21, 2013, 08:38 AM
Joined Mar 2011
168 Posts
Quote:
That worked great! How was the vertical performance? Did the stabilization help?

I will be doing a version of the micro SSX for this system. You can beta build it if you are interested.

James
Definitely interested in doing a beta build. I will be out of the country for a bit. Leaving Thursday, back Oct 12.

The stabilization definitely worked. There was a slight breeze. My friend (the camera man) had just flown a HH micro T-28, which was being blown about a bit.

Tomorrow, I will fly the 6x3 prop. I want to ask a few people here to help me figure out the amps being drawn with each prop, to see if my calcs are correct and if the system will be able to handle it.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 08:49 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Aug 2006
2,022 Posts
Quote:

http://vimeo.com/75075767

Ok, new thread rule. No one is allowed to post videos used the Benny Hill Them any longer. That tune has been stuck in my head all day! LOL
RCG Plus Member