HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 17, 2013, 08:53 PM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,540 Posts
I am just finishing up my review of the Ka-8 and that includes a discussion of the E-flite High-Start. I have had no problems with mine and it may be because I accidently broke it in slowly by starting in windy conditions and following the instructions for launching into the wind. My first two launches were with only an 80 foot stretch because I was launching into a strong wind. I then at several at 100 feet and more at 120 feet. Today we launched at 120 , 130 and 150 feet in Modesto (best estimate measurements but I know my pace length.) Back in Stockton this afternoon I had 12 more launches today with the first two at 120 feet and then 10 at 150 feet which is the maximum recommended in the instructions. My high Start looks great as I examined it as I slowly rolled it up this afternoon. I think my short break-in launches which were done only because of the windy conditions and not do to any great plan by myself may be why my High-Start looks like new and is working great. (I wish I could claim I was a genius in coming up with this idea but it was just luck and circumstances related to the wind.) If others try it I would love to hear the results.
Here are three pictures from my upcoming review. Mike Heer
Michael Heer is offline Find More Posts by Michael Heer
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 18, 2013, 10:06 PM
Xroadie
St. Louis, Missouri
Joined Mar 2006
332 Posts
I had mine out yesterday, in about an 7-8mph wind. I stretched it 40 paces about a dozen times without any breaking....I am really afraid to stretch it anymore than that. On the 12th launch I hooked a thermal and flew for about a half hour. When I landed I retrieved the chute and got to 38 paces and the tube broke again....all the breaks are always in the five feet or so from the end of the tubing that is attached to the line. I'm wondering if the black tubing is getting hot when it sit's in the sun for a while
xroadie is offline Find More Posts by xroadie
Old Aug 18, 2013, 11:11 PM
Davison, MI
Joined Sep 2007
1,223 Posts
Hey Guys,

We did 3 tows of the Ka8 today !! First time ever for both pilots. I flew the Ka8 and the other pilot flew a stock FunCub.

He flew the FunCub at full throttle and with the low pitch prop (I don't know his set up other than it's stock) it was perfect. Not too fast just good power and it climbed away nicely.

The 1st tow we decided to just go straight and release before turning. Worked great...

2nd we turned and released right away.... 3rd we flew the downwind leg and released.

I concentrated on just flying the ailerons and a little tiny bit of elevator. I kept my hand off the rudder and let the tug take care of were we were going. I did add a little elevator on the downwind leg to keep the towline tight.

All in all we were very happy. No weirdness and I'm looking forward to doing a lot more of it. I came home and worked on my 1/4scale L-4 which will be put into tug service before the end of flying season here. I hope.

Add one more facet of RC to my dance card !! That was fun...

Joe
Joespeeder is offline Find More Posts by Joespeeder
Old Aug 19, 2013, 02:57 PM
Build something.
United States, CT, Fairfield
Joined Mar 2012
715 Posts
There were two KA-8s at the SKSS aerotow in Delaware this weekend. They didn't look out of place among the $10,000 sailplanes also at the event...

Nodd RC - 057 - SKSS Aerotow 2013 (6 min 43 sec)
Nodd is offline Find More Posts by Nodd
Old Aug 20, 2013, 08:31 AM
United Kingdom, Glos
Joined Feb 2009
593 Posts
No experience of the HH high start or Parkzone Ka8, but for those considering the HK tubing we repaired my friends 25 year old high start (or bungy as they are commonly called over here) by splicing in a section of the HK blue tubing to replace the outer wrap of tubing that had perished on the old high start, so far (50 plus launches) no problems. Approx 30m of tubing total, 80m of line and stretched out 40-50m.
FrankS is offline Find More Posts by FrankS
Last edited by FrankS; Aug 20, 2013 at 08:42 AM.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 04:08 PM
MaineFlyer
Augusta, Me
Joined Feb 2005
940 Posts
Aerotowing the Parkzone Ka-8

We have started trying out towing and the first plane we tried was a Calypso set up without the motor. A member purchased the Ka-8 and we have made a few tows with that plane now. Looks so nice in the air! If fact, I just purchased it from the owner this week! Not certain why he decided to sell it but the price was right! Can't wait to try it myself and I will mount a camera onboard.

Made several videos of it in breezy conditions so hope we get a change to try it on a calm day.

At the moment, we are using a glow powered Super Senior and I also have used my electric LT-25 to tow the Calypso.

Towing seems like a lot of fun. Mainly we have carried our sailplanes aloft piggyback and that has worked well. We also have some powered sailplanes, especially for those days when you are by yourself.
Joe
Parkzone Ka-8 Sailplane (1 min 31 sec)

Towing Roland's ParkZone Ka-8 Sailplane (1 min 35 sec)

And now it's mine!
Aerotowing the Parkzone Ka-8 (3 min 33 sec)
jpgilbert is offline Find More Posts by jpgilbert
Last edited by jpgilbert; Sep 10, 2013 at 03:25 PM. Reason: Added Video
Old Aug 29, 2013, 10:30 AM
Xroadie
St. Louis, Missouri
Joined Mar 2006
332 Posts
I got the mid size latex tubing from Hobby Lobby.....that's the only one they have gotten back in stock....and replaced the black tubing that came with the previous hi-start. This stuff is more like the tubing I remember from 15 years ago. It is much softer with a dull finish. I stretched it dozens of times and no breaking!! The Ka-8 launches very well and just loves to thermal!! Being a scale sailplane fanatic...it is nice to have something to fly in between aerotow meets
Old Aug 29, 2013, 01:02 PM
Build something.
United States, CT, Fairfield
Joined Mar 2012
715 Posts
I suspect most of you have already seen this Flite Test review but for those that haven't...

Flite Test - KA-8 Sailplane - REVIEW (17 min 39 sec)
Nodd is offline Find More Posts by Nodd
Old Sep 03, 2013, 11:07 PM
Xroadie
St. Louis, Missouri
Joined Mar 2006
332 Posts
I've had two more outings with the Ka8 and the "new" Hi-start tubing that I got from Hobby Lobby. Today I got to try it with almost no wind. The new tubing works great! I was getting high launches without any wind. On the fourth launch I hooked a thermal and ended up with a 30 minute flight. It was actually 4-5 thermals that the Ka8 found. It got so high that this was the first flight I used the spoilers on the Ka8 to dethermalize The flight was so long and the lift so strong I played around with acro for the first time too. I did dozens of loops and rolls. Loops were easy of course and the rolls were much better than I thought they'd be. This is really a wonderful flying model!!!
Old Sep 10, 2013, 01:37 PM
Joined Dec 2003
207 Posts
Everybody must be out enjoying their KA 8's. No posts for a week............
OFFA 1 is offline Find More Posts by OFFA 1
Old Sep 10, 2013, 03:02 PM
have gun will travel
USA, MI, Ann Arbor
Joined Apr 2010
331 Posts
BEEN FLYING THE HECK OUT OF MINE.
SEE SOME VIDEO HERE
http://www.rcaerotowing.com/forum/sh...the-MRCA-field
SCOTT
scottrod31 is offline Find More Posts by scottrod31
Old Sep 10, 2013, 05:03 PM
Scale Foam Flyer
United States, AR, Cabot
Joined Oct 2007
2,977 Posts
Usually the most active threads, are the ones where people are doing mods, or having trouble with setup etc. This glider is so straight fwd, that once the initial hype of it's introduction to the market subsides, the thread will get pretty quiet. (is my theory)
Cubcrazy is offline Find More Posts by Cubcrazy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Carbon Z Cub Floats are here!!
Old Sep 11, 2013, 03:19 PM
The sky is the limit
Belgium, Vlaams Gewest, Hasselt
Joined Aug 2012
197 Posts
Further experiences

After about 20 flights with my Parkzone Ka8 I have a better feel for its pro's and con's, and there are many of each. I also composed shots of some aerotows during an overcast day into a single video. I added those experiences at the bottom of the main build log on following link to my blog.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1959173
Don't expect usual towships of most glider fields to be suitable for this foamy!
BAF23 is offline Find More Posts by BAF23
Old Sep 12, 2013, 08:38 AM
Xroadie
St. Louis, Missouri
Joined Mar 2006
332 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAF23 View Post
Don't expect usual towships of most glider fields to be suitable for this foamy!
I agree with that...it was difficult to tow slow enough with the big tugs available at Mickey Sullivan Aerotow. The E-flite Carbon Z Cub will be the perfect tug for this model. I didn't buy mine for the purposes of aerotowing, I just wanted a scale ship that I could hi-start at a local park, which now that I have my tubing situation solved, I am getting great results. But with the new Carbon Cub coming out, aerotowing at the local park would be fun too! Next up though is taking it to the slope
Last edited by xroadie; Sep 12, 2013 at 08:58 AM.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 01:09 PM
flying since 2000
Winterthur ZH, Switzerland
Joined Mar 2009
516 Posts
I got my Ka8 now towed about 15 times by a FunCub, and i have to say I didnt expect it to fly so well! The Cg is now at 64mm, with the 75mm it didn't fly comfortably. Well, in perfectly calm conditions it would be flyable with 75mm, but it would be stressy to correct all the imputs. Today i was able to work a thermal a bit, but as distance increased i sometimes screwed up the downwind part of the circle. So i think I'll move the Cg to 60mm. I have a eneloop X 2500mah NiMh battery installed, no lead.
While towing, dont forget to constantly push some down elevator, as the Ka-8 wants to climb out as the tow-thingy is on the bottom of the fuse.
i'm really looking forward to future flights, especially I want to try it in a slope. Wonder how agile it is in the slope.

Stefan
sfluck is offline Find More Posts by sfluck
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flying the Spider X on the...