HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 30, 2012, 06:06 PM
Thermite + ice = Big boom.
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Apr 2009
2,359 Posts
Andy, with the safety at what it is today, I'd be surprised if I could find anything more acidic than vinegar, but I'll look around. I've heard you can print them with a laser printer?
freeflyer, I'd be surprised if that guy knew what a resistor is.
boaterguy is online now Find More Posts by boaterguy
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 30, 2012, 07:43 PM
United States, ID
Joined Sep 2011
542 Posts
You can laser print onto parchment paper (greaseproof paper), water soluble paper, or press-n-peel type paper. There's also other methods out there using all kinds of paper.

The etchants are easily available everywhere. You can also use HCl (drain/concrete cleaner).
jakestew is offline Find More Posts by jakestew
Old Dec 30, 2012, 08:48 PM
14s 180mah should be enough...
United States, NC, Pfafftown
Joined Feb 2001
3,694 Posts
I have had good luck using a laser printer and magazine pages (of all things) to print on with. I use old QST magazines (Amateur radio publication) as I have found they work best for me..I tried several others (old airplane mags and other amateur radio mags) and the QST's worked best with my particular laser printer.

Ferric chloride is still available from Radio Shack:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2102868
IFLYOS is offline Find More Posts by IFLYOS
Old Dec 31, 2012, 09:31 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
24,819 Posts
If you're good, you can use a Sharpie marker. I've also used paint for a resist.

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:18 AM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Apr 2009
2,359 Posts
How do you use magazine paper if there's text on it?
Old Dec 31, 2012, 11:03 AM
The Fixer
Canada, ON, Milton
Joined Jan 2009
3,855 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boaterguy View Post
We have the source up in Canada, the most advanced circuitry you can buy there is a 555, and it's nearly 10$. They sell capacitor kits, but they never restock, they're just selling off the old stuff.
My local electronics shop (still nearly 45 minutes away) just went out of business, now I'm stuck ordering online, and shipping is a real killer.
Being 16, it's hard to get around places or buy stuff, I order from a place in Quebec but they have a 50$ minimum, I usually end up ordering 100's of parts at a time to make the limit.
Even then, it's hard to find PDIP cases so that they're solderable, I'm usually stuck soldering SOIC or even SSOP packages.
I remember Tandy sold leather products before electronics. Then a little corner of magical electronic bits appeared, then full rebranded Radio shack . Now its back to the same little space.
Martin Y is online now Find More Posts by Martin Y
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flyfly Fox Glider
Old Dec 31, 2012, 11:42 AM
Joined Feb 2001
3,694 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boaterguy View Post
How do you use magazine paper if there's text on it?
Send it thru the printer, print it as dark as possible, and when you iron it on the copperclad, the toner transfers, but the page doesn't..usually. Thats why you have to try a few magazines and see which one works best for you, with your laser printer. The laser toner is heat fused to the print medium, so it is also released by heat...
Old Dec 31, 2012, 11:43 AM
Joined Feb 2001
3,694 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
If you're good, you can use a Sharpie marker. I've also used paint for a resist.

Andy
I never had great luck with a Sharpie, but I can't draw worth a darn either... I have seen some guys in my radio club do it that way, though, and they get great results.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 01:29 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Apr 2009
2,359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFLYOS View Post
I never had great luck with a Sharpie, but I can't draw worth a darn either... I have seen some guys in my radio club do it that way, though, and they get great results.
I'm sure if you used a square that you could set at 45 or 135 degrees as well you would have more than enough possibilities, you rarely need to draw outside of all of those possible angles.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 02:11 PM
United States, ID
Joined Sep 2011
542 Posts
> I never had great luck with a Sharpie,

It worked pretty well for me on the last board I did. Not perfect, but pretty darn well.

You're using it on the PCB before etching, and not on the paper right? The sharpie won't transfer over from the paper.
jakestew is offline Find More Posts by jakestew
Old Dec 31, 2012, 09:27 PM
Joined Feb 2001
3,694 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakestew View Post
> I never had great luck with a Sharpie,

It worked pretty well for me on the last board I did. Not perfect, but pretty darn well.

You're using it on the PCB before etching, and not on the paper right? The sharpie won't transfer over from the paper.
Yes, on the board. Maybe I will give it a go with a fresh out of the package Sharpie and some "new" copperclad, scrubbed, of course...
Old Jan 01, 2013, 03:22 PM
Lipoly Killer
Gulfport/Biloxi Biloxi Reg, Mississippi, United States
Joined Dec 2000
1,515 Posts
Went there yesterday

Went to a Radio Shack yesterday and picked up the only size aluminum box that they carry now. It is perfect for my "single channel" tx that I'm building. I don't know how much longer that we can get some parts but maybe they will wake up.
Frank
Frank Hurd is offline Find More Posts by Frank Hurd