HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 13, 2012, 05:51 PM
United States, MI, Windsor Charter Township
Joined Aug 2003
7 Posts
Help!
no data from powerlab 8

Ok got the powerlab 8 ,downloaded the CCS and the driver for the serial interface cable FUIM2 - verified correct net 3.5 software from microsoft-has no data from PL8 message
followed the instuctions and troubleshooting tips on the FMA website for
no comunication from PL8 on CCS -no good same message
CCS shows comm 5 open but still no data from PL8
did the same on a windows XP laptop that I have but
still the same -no comunication with PL8- so I
went and purchaced the FUIM3 cable removed the driver and CCS software and reinstalled again
CCS shows comm 5 open but still no data from PL8.
OK then I down loaded the FUIM3 diagnostic utility - fails on all ports except 5
it says to check 5 vollt and ground terminals at PL8 because the LED is not lit but the voltage is ok -also
has 3.5volts on signal terminal
dont know what else I can do???
anyone else run into this??
ballistic1 is offline Find More Posts by ballistic1
Last edited by ballistic1; Aug 13, 2012 at 06:01 PM. Reason: sp
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 14, 2012, 12:02 AM
President, FMA, Inc.
Joined Mar 2008
1,059 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballistic1 View Post
Ok got the powerlab 8 ,downloaded the CCS and the driver for the serial interface cable FUIM2 - verified correct net 3.5 software from microsoft-has no data from PL8 message
followed the instuctions and troubleshooting tips on the FMA website for
no comunication from PL8 on CCS -no good same message
CCS shows comm 5 open but still no data from PL8
did the same on a windows XP laptop that I have but
still the same -no comunication with PL8- so I
went and purchaced the FUIM3 cable removed the driver and CCS software and reinstalled again
CCS shows comm 5 open but still no data from PL8.
OK then I down loaded the FUIM3 diagnostic utility - fails on all ports except 5
it says to check 5 vollt and ground terminals at PL8 because the LED is not lit but the voltage is ok -also
has 3.5volts on signal terminal
dont know what else I can do???
anyone else run into this??
Hi:

Make sure you are installing the FUIM3 driver from this page:

http://www.revolectrix.com/new_appli...re/pc.usb.html

And make sure the FUIM3 is not plugged into either the PC or the PL8 when you install the driver from the above page. Most common problem is that customers have the FUIM3 connected when they try to install the driver.

Tim Marks
Tim Marks is offline Find More Posts by Tim Marks
Old Aug 14, 2012, 01:00 PM
Joined Aug 2003
7 Posts
Hi Tim,
Got the driver from that page and
Installed it while unplugged
Old Aug 14, 2012, 03:56 PM
President, FMA, Inc.
Joined Mar 2008
1,059 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballistic1 View Post
Hi Tim,
Got the driver from that page and
Installed it while unplugged
Hi:

First, you did not say whether this fixed your issue. So I'll assume you meant this is what you did to begin with and that you're still having problems.

O.K. I'm confused. In your original post, you wrote:

"OK then I down loaded the FUIM3 diagnostic utility - fails on all ports except 5"

The FUIM3 will only work on one port, the port the driver grabs from the O.S. So if it's working on COM 5, then it's working. Since it is operational on port 5, you can change the CCS COM port setting from Auto (the normally recommended setting) to Port 5. It will aquire communication faster this way when it is working.

So, if the FUIM3 is working, the software is operational, but you still don't get "Waiting to Start" when you plug the FUIM3 between the PL8 and the PC USB port and with the software running, these are the only things it can be:

1) You do not have power applied to the PL8. You still need to have the PL8 input cables connected to a power supply or input battery and powered up when you connect to the PC.

2) You have the 3 pin JR style servo connector inserted backwards. The black wire goes toward the outside of the case as illustrated on the label under "TO PC".

3) Maybe the pins inside of the PL8 case are bent. Look inside the slot where you plug the 3 pin JR style servo connector into the PL8. Make sure the pins are all clearly visible, straight, and will make good contact when you plug in the connector.

4) The PL8 is defective and is not able to communicate with the PC. Contact sales for an RMA number if you purchased directly from Revolectrix web store. Otherwise, contact the reseller where you purchased the PowerLab 8.

Tim Marks
Old Aug 15, 2012, 08:08 PM
Joined Aug 2003
7 Posts
Hi Tim,
Tried all your suggestions still unable to get the CCS to talk to the pl8
Have a friend who has one and tried mine on his computer and it works fine so I think its safe to assume the problem lies in my laptops
I have no idea on what could be the problem but it is not the pl8 or fuim3
Thanks for your help
Frank
Old Sep 11, 2012, 05:40 PM
Portugal, Lisbon, Torres Vedras
Joined Aug 2011
457 Posts
I just got my PL6 today and is does not communicate also... I know my way around an FTDI chip so drivers are not an issue. I installed them and on hyperterminal I get "data" from the PL6.

I get "no data from powerlab 6" and that's it. I can't figure out the problem. I've tried on win XP and win 7 no luck on both. suggestions ? (please!)
Crispim.joao is offline Find More Posts by Crispim.joao
Old Sep 11, 2012, 05:45 PM
Joined Aug 2011
457 Posts
p.s.: my "old" cellpro "rev-olution" 4s (fma direct stamp on it) does not 'talk' also. since it is really old I considered it to have a "to old" FW so it would not talk but now I'm in doubt...
Old Sep 11, 2012, 07:54 PM
Joined Aug 2003
7 Posts
I think its a driver issue with my hardware
for some reason all 4 of my lap tops on windows xp, vista 64 and a netbook fail to
communicate with my powerlab 8
but a old pc running vista 32 works fine
Old Sep 12, 2012, 07:02 AM
Joined Aug 2011
457 Posts
O got my old charger to talk to the PC (multi 4 gold program) on a virtual windows XP. now I know my FUIM3 works and drivers are alright.

noting comes up from the PL6

p.s.: the old charger wont update firmware. it is to old... but it is OK
Old Sep 12, 2012, 08:19 AM
Joined Aug 2011
457 Posts
I got it to work! somehow, I need to power the PL6 side of the FUIM3 for it to work...

(take the positive out of the pl6 with a servo extension and power it with 5V)

I have 4.94V on the PL6 port but is does not work... maybe my FUIM3 is "hard" on the inputs...
Old Sep 12, 2012, 02:47 PM
President, FMA, Inc.
Joined Mar 2008
1,059 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispim.joao View Post
I got it to work! somehow, I need to power the PL6 side of the FUIM3 for it to work...

(take the positive out of the pl6 with a servo extension and power it with 5V)

I have 4.94V on the PL6 port but is does not work... maybe my FUIM3 is "hard" on the inputs...
Hi:

The PL6 is supposed to power the FUIM3 internally. It sounds like you may have a missing resistor or bad solder connection internally on the PCB. What you did is actually not a bad workaround for your situation, but you may wish to return this for checkout and possible repair work. When you're ready, you should contact Howard Matos at howard@fmadirect.com. He will advise you on details for returning the workstation. Make sure you advise him of this forum communication.

Tim Marks
Old Aug 28, 2013, 09:30 AM
Joined Aug 2013
7 Posts
Ok first post here sorry if this forum prefers people to make new posts vs digging up an old one. Some forums like it one way and some like it the other.

Anyway I got a PowerLab 6 earlier this week and yesterday at work downloaded the CCS software on a Win7 64bit PC. Everything worked great and it really made me want to have a PC with me at the track...not sure how great that is. Anyway we are all Mac at home and I don't have any of them setup for a Windows BootCamp but I do have a couple of older WinXP laptops so I figured I could use one of those. I pulled out the first one, downloaded the USB drivers and CCS software and installed them. When I hook up the PL6 I the the "No Data From PowerLab 6" message. I tried the troubleshooting in this thread to no avail including downloading the FUIM3 test software. When I run that test the software just locks up. Doesn't fail...just locks up and that's with the USB adapter plugged in or not (don't know if that's a clue). I then got out the other laptop and had the same results.

Both of the XP laptops are 32 bit systems, the first is an Acer EEE PC (netbook) running XP Home and the second is a 15.4" Dell running XP Pro.

Has anyone had a similar issue? Is there a fix?

Of note I brought the PL6 to work with me again today and when hooked to the original Win7 PC everything works perfectly so I do not believe it is an issue with the PL6 itself or with the FUIM3 adapter. I believe it is a FUIM3/XP issue.
Grasschopper2 is offline Find More Posts by Grasschopper2
Old Aug 28, 2013, 01:06 PM
AR-15 BRD!
Frederick, MD
Joined May 2002
1,043 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasschopper2 View Post
Ok first post here sorry if this forum prefers people to make new posts vs digging up an old one. Some forums like it one way and some like it the other.

Anyway I got a PowerLab 6 earlier this week and yesterday at work downloaded the CCS software on a Win7 64bit PC. Everything worked great and it really made me want to have a PC with me at the track...not sure how great that is. Anyway we are all Mac at home and I don't have any of them setup for a Windows BootCamp but I do have a couple of older WinXP laptops so I figured I could use one of those. I pulled out the first one, downloaded the USB drivers and CCS software and installed them. When I hook up the PL6 I the the "No Data From PowerLab 6" message. I tried the troubleshooting in this thread to no avail including downloading the FUIM3 test software. When I run that test the software just locks up. Doesn't fail...just locks up and that's with the USB adapter plugged in or not (don't know if that's a clue). I then got out the other laptop and had the same results.

Both of the XP laptops are 32 bit systems, the first is an Acer EEE PC (netbook) running XP Home and the second is a 15.4" Dell running XP Pro.

Has anyone had a similar issue? Is there a fix?

Of note I brought the PL6 to work with me again today and when hooked to the original Win7 PC everything works perfectly so I do not believe it is an issue with the PL6 itself or with the FUIM3 adapter. I believe it is a FUIM3/XP issue.
Good Day,

This is a very old machine running XP and I run all CCS's off of this, no problems. Try loading the driver from the CCS when you open it, you will see it in the lower left corner in blue "Download USB Driver". May sure to select the FUIM3 on the right. After the driver loads, close out any open programs or files and relaunch the CCS.

1) Leave the FUIM3 disconnected from the Product and from your PC's USB port.
2) Launch the Product's application.
3) Click the download USB driver link from the application window.
4) Pick the correct driver from the web page. For the FUIM3, there's only one driver.
5) Follow the on screen instructions. If you have attempted to load the driver before, what might happen is an uninstall first. If you see that the program wants to uninstall the driver, let it. Then go back to the website and install it again.
6) Now launch the Product's application again.
7) Plug the USB end of the interface into your USB port at this time.
8) Plug the other end of the cable into the Product's PC port and apply power.
9) Click the firmware you wish to install, then choose Update Firmware.
Howard Matos is offline Find More Posts by Howard Matos
Old Aug 28, 2013, 02:07 PM
Joined Aug 2013
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Matos View Post
Good Day,

This is a very old machine running XP and I run all CCS's off of this, no problems. Try loading the driver from the CCS when you open it, you will see it in the lower left corner in blue "Download USB Driver". May sure to select the FUIM3 on the right. After the driver loads, close out any open programs or files and relaunch the CCS.

1) Leave the FUIM3 disconnected from the Product and from your PC's USB port.
2) Launch the Product's application.
3) Click the download USB driver link from the application window.
4) Pick the correct driver from the web page. For the FUIM3, there's only one driver.
5) Follow the on screen instructions. If you have attempted to load the driver before, what might happen is an uninstall first. If you see that the program wants to uninstall the driver, let it. Then go back to the website and install it again.
6) Now launch the Product's application again.
7) Plug the USB end of the interface into your USB port at this time.
8) Plug the other end of the cable into the Product's PC port and apply power.
9) Click the firmware you wish to install, then choose Update Firmware.
Is your machine a laptop? I'm wondering if it is the output power from the USB port. I was able to run the FUIM3 tester and it first passed at 9600 and then failed at the next speed and after that just failed at 9600 every time.

I uninstalled everything and reinstalled to see if that was it...nope.

I wonder if the current download version may be different than what you originally downloaded (what version is yours?)...I trying to run version 1.10.

I checked the output of the PL6 at the connector that goes to the FUIM3 and it is giving off 6vdc so the above issue resolution shouldn't work.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 11:59 AM
Joined Aug 2013
7 Posts
As an update I have installed Windows7 Professional on my MBP using Virtual Box. I'm hoping I can get the CCS software to function properly using this setup but haven't had a chance to try it yet.

Is anyone running a similar setup successfully?