HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 06, 2012, 09:00 PM
Central California
Joined Jan 2010
965 Posts
Very nice looking plane.

I'm like Bob in Seattle. A Poly wing with spoilers or flaps for thermal soaring would be great.

I like number 5 for the top of the wing and number 11 for the botttom of the wing.

And the name "Ridgehogs" works real good for me. See my Avatar

Hog
hog2soar is offline Find More Posts by hog2soar
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 07, 2012, 08:43 AM
United States, NY, Hamburg
Joined Aug 2011
509 Posts
Intrested to see more of a thermal/electric version
Rick
tailsld is online now Find More Posts by tailsld
Old Jul 07, 2012, 12:10 PM
DragonLINK UHF only!!!!
Joined Feb 2011
1,220 Posts
Great powered Glider here,
I was about to order another Cularis RR 2.6m,
but I'll wait for this one.... I FPV all my planes :-)

Can you give me more info on the servos used? ie....flaps....
I have use all types of Powered Gliders, and all were foam,
so this plane you have is my 1st "real" plane for FPV:-)
LexusFPV is offline Find More Posts by LexusFPV
Old Jul 07, 2012, 07:10 PM
Mesa AZ, it's a dry heat!
USA, AZ, Mesa
Joined Oct 2004
624 Posts
New model

Looks interesting.
We need to know such things as: Flying Weight, wing loading, possible wing configuration (Flaps, Ailerons, spoilers, ect.).
Another question is 'Receiver Ready' or 'Airframe Only'. Electric or Sailplane only? Convertible, similar to the Cularis?

Love the color schemes.

I would be interested at $200-$250US if it will thermal in 'normal' conditions, not just 'hatsucking lift'!!
It needs some exposure in the US and Europe to get some word-of-mouth advertising.

Get Joe W to test one and report on it, that will make it sell!

Iain
rev.iain is online now Find More Posts by rev.iain
Old Jul 08, 2012, 02:11 AM
TM1
Joined Jan 2012
89 Posts
in the 200-250$ I'll consider taking one.
great colors. look very nice. hope it flies as good.

(just wanted to subscribe actually)
TM1 is online now Find More Posts by TM1
Old Jul 08, 2012, 09:58 PM
Joined Jun 2012
132 Posts
TR035 Colors and specs

Here are the final colors, just click on the image you like best as this will show me a view count.

Specifications:

Span: 2400mm x 200mm at core, custom foil RW03 wings are removable and are made up of two halves (1200mm x 200) using x4 alloy and carbon joiners.

Length: 1100mm

Weight: 1.4kgs flying weight

Power plant: 1038KV outrunner with a 10x8 custom folding prop, 3s 2200mAh Lipo, 30 - 40amp ESC (pulls 20 amps on full).

Servos: RC Scanner metal gear racing servos

ONLY 3 CHANNEL - due to cost to produce we are only going to make these as a 3 channel for the "learner" pilot. If you take a look at the video, it does what it should do - Not ideal for thermals, but still can very well if using nice slow turns to help sustain altitude

No Flaps - again due to cost, we will run with this and if good response we will produce an advanced version with all the bells and whistles.
Ridgehogs is offline Find More Posts by Ridgehogs
Old Jul 08, 2012, 10:03 PM
Joined Jun 2012
132 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hog2soar View Post
Very nice looking plane.

I'm like Bob in Seattle. A Poly wing with spoilers or flaps for thermal soaring would be great.

I like number 5 for the top of the wing and number 11 for the botttom of the wing.

And the name "Ridgehogs" works real good for me. See my Avatar

Hog
Yea, Like it - Great minds think alike aye!
Ridgehogs is offline Find More Posts by Ridgehogs
Old Jul 09, 2012, 03:29 AM
f5b-uk
United Kingdom, Dorset
Joined May 2002
3,068 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgehogs View Post
ONLY 3 CHANNEL
Do you really mean 3-channel as in aileron, elevator and throttle or do you intend making it with a rudder? Hopefully you mean 4-channel?

Mike
Mike Seale is offline Find More Posts by Mike Seale
Old Jul 09, 2012, 04:36 AM
Gold Coast Australia
Joined Sep 2010
256 Posts
HI RR
Sorry just found this thread.
I think I recognise that accent...should it be Kia ora Bro ?
I think there is a market at just under Radian Pro price. Put me down for one at A$200 mark
I wore out a Diamond 2500 and am currently using a Phoenix 2000 as my all round "fun" glider. You know how cheap they are via HK.
My two bobs worth is its better to have the add on features as an ARF than none as a plug and play.
Toughness and thermal performance will be the key.
Can you have a servo pocket and cut out "indent" built into the wing mould for flaps for those who want to fit. Also same for rudder.
I would be interested in putting in an advance order if you are looking for an East Coast
Distributor.
PM me if this is the way you want to go.
Regards
Biggles
Biggles51 is offline Find More Posts by Biggles51
Old Jul 09, 2012, 07:02 AM
Air Crash Expert
Louisiana
Joined Oct 2005
1,207 Posts
I would consider it if more thermal friendly with a decent airfoil. Everybody and their brothers make inexpensive slope planes.
To maintain price point, consider removing the servos and make flaps and/or ailerons available.

ETA: A good thermal ship this size with light weight construction is easily worth $300 USD.
sawman is offline Find More Posts by sawman
Old Jul 09, 2012, 07:56 AM
f5b-uk
United Kingdom, Dorset
Joined May 2002
3,068 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgehogs View Post
Hi Pilots!

Gordon here from Ridgehogs VERY long story short, we wanted to make a shock resistant Sailplane which is designed for slope soaring, can catch thermals easy, can perform well, is suited for the beginner and advanced pilot - oh and is indestructible!! - too much to ask?
The OP clearly states 'designed for slope soaring'...so I'm not sure why so many are coming back and saying they want it to be dedesigned as a thermal model as its primary role. It would be like me going into the thermal forum and suggesting that someone redesign their model for electric/slope use.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawman View Post
Everybody and their brothers make inexpensive slope planes
Do they? Care to share?
Old Jul 09, 2012, 08:18 AM
-----
Ireland, County Kerry, Kerry
Joined Dec 2005
6,985 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Seale View Post
The OP clearly states 'designed for slope soaring'...so I'm not sure why so many are coming back and saying they want it to be dedesigned as a thermal model as its primary role. It would be like me going into the thermal forum and suggesting that someone redesign their model for electric/slope use.

Do they? Care to share?
To be fair it's called "Thermal Racer". Without knowing what the airfoil actually is (or is designed to do), I reckon a lot of confusion is going to reign as to what this plane is actually for....
Woodstock 1 is offline Find More Posts by Woodstock 1
Old Jul 09, 2012, 08:20 AM
-----
Ireland, County Kerry, Kerry
Joined Dec 2005
6,985 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles51 View Post
HI RR

I think there is a market at just under Radian Pro price. Put me down for one at A$200 mark
I wore out a Diamond 2500 and am currently using a Phoenix 2000 as my all round "fun" glider.
Isn't it a bit unrealistic to expect a material that is supposed to be superier to foam should cost less than these cheap foamies?
Woodstock 1 is offline Find More Posts by Woodstock 1
Old Jul 09, 2012, 08:55 AM
f5b-uk
United Kingdom, Dorset
Joined May 2002
3,068 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodstock 1 View Post
To be fair it's called "Thermal Racer"
Fair point...I hadn't really considered the name.

Mike
Old Jul 09, 2012, 09:06 AM
TM1
Joined Jan 2012
89 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodstock 1 View Post
Isn't it a bit unrealistic to expect a material that is supposed to be superier to foam should cost less than these cheap foamies?
I don't think the quotes are unrealistic or unfair.
The radian pro is 250 BNF. the PNP is 185. And it's a known tested well built glider. no kit available but it should be well below 150 I guess.
Not looking at HK ...

People are willing to pay 250 for a KIT (at least I do).
I think it's fair.
TM1 is online now Find More Posts by TM1