SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 15, 2012, 10:41 PM
Flying Zayin
China, Guangdong, Guangzhou
Joined May 2012
968 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAVJOE View Post
Destroyed the airframe...... Good thing I took my autopilot out.
Sorry to hear it Joe, much labour put into this project and I really liked your log - thank you for that anyway, it is useful no matter how things ended.
But yes, to hell with all these experiments, FPV gear costs too much to put it into crappy airframes.
Thank you for sharing your story, and good luck in your future flights.

Best,
Mark
Cathay Stray is offline Find More Posts by Cathay Stray
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 16, 2012, 04:44 PM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
5,092 Posts
really? the x8 is junk too? oh man... I am just finishing mine...

as for the x5 I am not sure why you had issues with launching... my issues were with adverse yaw only... other than that it was very efficient and lots of room for stuff.

Steve
saabguyspg is offline Find More Posts by saabguyspg
Old Sep 16, 2012, 05:39 PM
Near Austin
Joined Dec 2001
5,406 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saabguyspg View Post
really? the x8 is junk too? oh man... I am just finishing mine...
Well, I guess "junk" is a relative term. Here is the link to my build and the mods I made. I find it interesting that several others have come to the same conclusion on the X8!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...3&highlight=x8
CenTexFlyer is offline Find More Posts by CenTexFlyer
Old Sep 17, 2012, 01:23 AM
United States, CA, Walnut Creek
Joined May 2009
53 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CenTexFlyer View Post
Well, I guess "junk" is a relative term. Here is the link to my build and the mods I made. I find it interesting that several others have come to the same conclusion on the X8!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...3&highlight=x8
There is a very large thread here that details pretty much all there is to know on the X8. While I do not have one, a member of our group does and he loves it. I have been there several times seeing it fly and it is a great plane. Mine is on order.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1555543

- Dan
networkit is online now Find More Posts by networkit
Old Sep 17, 2012, 01:45 AM
Flying Zayin
China, Guangdong, Guangzhou
Joined May 2012
968 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by networkit View Post
a member of our group loves it.
While we generally agree that with rc planes the question is not whether it dies in a crash but when it happens, some crash more often than the others, and when the same trouble happens to advanced pilots, not just to newcomers to the hobby - it probably means that there is something wrong with the plane rather than with the hands who hold the sticks.
Most of Skywalkers and say AXNs fly for years and years and get scrapped for age reasons while these X-series wings though relatively new to the market have already created sort of wide-spread rumours.

I personally came to this thread because I heard things about this wing (unstable, moody, etc), so I wanted to hear a success story and make up my mind to buy one, or even its bigger sibling. However here it is, the quality of making is out of question and qualifications of the pilot is beyond doubt - still the plane is in the garbage container.

I'm not saying that it is going to happen to everyone who tries these wings, but even if it happens to 5 % it is already a high enough percentage to put Xs into a risk group.
I can't afford buying new FPV equipment too often so I'd rather stay away from X wings.
Just that. Otherwise it can be a splendid airframe and I believe many can be as lucky as to fly it till it dies in its own bed for natural reasons. Hope you are one of those lucky guys!
Cathay Stray is offline Find More Posts by Cathay Stray
Old Sep 18, 2012, 01:18 AM
United States, CA, Walnut Creek
Joined May 2009
53 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathay Stray View Post
While we generally agree that with rc planes the question is not whether it dies in a crash but when it happens, some crash more often than the others, and when the same trouble happens to advanced pilots, not just to newcomers to the hobby - it probably means that there is something wrong with the plane rather than with the hands who hold the sticks.
Most of Skywalkers and say AXNs fly for years and years and get scrapped for age reasons while these X-series wings though relatively new to the market have already created sort of wide-spread rumours.

I personally came to this thread because I heard things about this wing (unstable, moody, etc), so I wanted to hear a success story and make up my mind to buy one, or even its bigger sibling. However here it is, the quality of making is out of question and qualifications of the pilot is beyond doubt - still the plane is in the garbage container.

I'm not saying that it is going to happen to everyone who tries these wings, but even if it happens to 5 % it is already a high enough percentage to put Xs into a risk group.
I can't afford buying new FPV equipment too often so I'd rather stay away from X wings.
Just that. Otherwise it can be a splendid airframe and I believe many can be as lucky as to fly it till it dies in its own bed for natural reasons. Hope you are one of those lucky guys!
I would recommend reading the official x8 thread and then make your decision. Maybe a wing is not for you.. while I dont have an x8 (yet) I do have a wing and fly it more than any of the other 18 planes.. it is simple, fly's great and fun
networkit is online now Find More Posts by networkit
Old Dec 18, 2012, 08:17 PM
United States, IA, Cedar Rapids
Joined Oct 2009
61 Posts
So I bought an X5 before I found this blog. I have noticed that when I do a hand launch the plane rotates left and then crashes. I have gotten it to fly a few times but I have to quickly give it right aileron to correct the rotation. Once it's in the air it flies fine. Any Ideas besides the launcher idea?
hoeniola is offline Find More Posts by hoeniola
Old Dec 19, 2012, 06:52 PM
Joined May 2011
137 Posts
You could place a simple rate gyro on one of the ailerons, this automatically compensates this left rotation. I have one on a EDF delta that also wants to turn left. Had no problems with it since I placed the gyro.
Stef stuntpiloot is offline Find More Posts by Stef stuntpiloot
Old Dec 19, 2012, 09:26 PM
United States, IA, Cedar Rapids
Joined Oct 2009
61 Posts
Actually I have since figured it out. I was launching the plane by grasping the bottom skid and then throwing it hard. Naturally the angular component of my throw was causing the plane to rotate left. I have since changed to just placing my finger tips on the bottom of a plane and launching it that way. It's now launches flawlessly.
I have also found that if you balance the plane so that it's slightly nose down you'll get rid of the adverse yaw.
hoeniola is offline Find More Posts by hoeniola
Old Dec 30, 2012, 09:56 AM
Firepower
North Brisbane, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
3,278 Posts
Just bought my X5 and wondered if adding 60mm to each wing tip might help or cause more problems. I have 5mm depron which I could laminate and hot wire cut to shape.

I have eventually worked out how to get a 100% launch on my EleBees with 3000mah LiPo 3S and heavy FPV gear. I have always liked a left hand frisby on Mode 1 but only 70% good launches.

I recently tried right hand frisby launches with my thumb under the elevator on the TX to adjust on launch. I did it this week and got 10 out of 10 good launches. I realise you can put some up elevator on a switch for launches but have never done that.

Overhead launches with the motor off do not work for me but how is the X5 with power on overhead launch. Any chance of hitting hand or head with the prop going?
Firepower is offline Find More Posts by Firepower
Old Dec 30, 2012, 01:01 PM
Near Austin
Joined Dec 2001
5,406 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firepower View Post
Overhead launches with the motor off do not work for me but how is the X5 with power on overhead launch. Any chance of hitting hand or head with the prop going?
You can bet your sweet pink fingers you stand a chance of getting into the prop on launch with ANY flying wing. Our Spectra launches are always throttle off until release. You can't do that with a fully loaded X5 or an X8 without a good stiff headwind, nice slope (cliff?), or a gorilla arm. If you are going to launch with any throttle on, you need to learn how to throw directly overhead (no sidearm throws) and get the wrist flip down to get your pinkies out of the way of the blender.

There are numerous, graphic examples of the carnage a prop can make. I can attest that at 9-10K rpm you're going to get at least 3 prop strikes before it clears your hand if you do it incorrectly.
CenTexFlyer is offline Find More Posts by CenTexFlyer
Old Dec 30, 2012, 09:27 PM
Firepower
Joined Mar 2010
3,278 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CenTexFlyer View Post
You can bet your sweet pink fingers you stand a chance of getting into the prop on launch with ANY flying wing. Our Spectra launches are always throttle off until release. You can't do that with a fully loaded X5 or an X8 without a good stiff headwind, nice slope (cliff?), or a gorilla arm. If you are going to launch with any throttle on, you need to learn how to throw directly overhead (no sidearm throws) and get the wrist flip down to get your pinkies out of the way of the blender.

There are numerous, graphic examples of the carnage a prop can make. I can attest that at 9-10K rpm you're going to get at least 3 prop strikes before it clears your hand if you do it incorrectly.
Thanks for the tips.

Yeah I just saw what a 16inch metal blade did to a hand and chopped off a finger. METAL PROP - I'd never go into one of those models.

Overhead with motor on does not impress me although it should work. The only way I feel confident that I should get 100% launches is holding in right hand on right wing and and throw frisbee style on the left side with high throttle. That's Mode 1 so Mode 2 reverse everything. It is working on the heavy EleBee.

I should know but some are saying it rolls on take off. Which way does it roll? Then I can counteract that a bit with the throw.

Guess no one has put say an extra 60mm on the wing between the winglet and wing to comment on that.

EDIT: Just noticed someone said it rolls left on launch.
Last edited by Firepower; Dec 30, 2012 at 10:10 PM.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:30 PM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
5,092 Posts
I have never extened my wings no... but honestly the adverse yaw is so bad this thing is hardly worth flying fpv.

that being said I use it as a test bed.

I am about to test my FY DOS system in it... waiting for some free time, hopefully this week.

Steve
ps as for launches mine is very under powered and hence does not roll at all on hand launch, it just flies away.... dead easy.
saabguyspg is offline Find More Posts by saabguyspg
Old Dec 31, 2012, 06:47 PM
Firepower
Joined Mar 2010
3,278 Posts
Just wondered does:

1. everyone have the adverse yaw problem or just some?

2. everyone with a big motor (maybe a big prop also) have the roll to the left on launch.

I said earlier I was going to try a 3S system but seeing I was having trouble on launch on my ElleBees I went for 4S for the X5 but found out that the problem was my c of g was over a inch too far forward.

I got these so hope they work out including the NTM Prop Drive Series 35-36A 1800Kv / 875w - probably went too big:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=25881

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=24645

Guess I will not know what weight LiPo I need until I install everything.
Old Jan 06, 2013, 05:50 PM
Fly Seaplanes
Sandy Hook, CT.
Joined Jun 2009
105 Posts
Cg

Everyone talks about the CG but no one bothers to mention where it is on the X5
I won't let the secret out if some one would like to share.
My X5 is a couple of days from finished. I thought I would try a kit as my home built one does the nose in after launch thing.
So How far back from the nose is the CG suppose to be ??
Fviking is offline Find More Posts by Fviking