SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 27, 2012, 12:46 PM
United States, MD
Joined Jan 2012
112 Posts
Discussion
Thermals near water...

We are fortunate to be able to fly our Radian over good farmland adjacent to cool water. There are thermals that form over the land this time of year, but because of the BIG difference in land and sea, they quickly become a seabreeze in early afternoon and get sort of blown out.

Do you have a similar situation? What are the best times for good usable conditions and where do you find them relative to that land/sea interface?

Yesterday I took a clue from some circling raptors, and found at least a little bit of lift.

Thanks,
paxfish is offline Find More Posts by paxfish
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 28, 2012, 07:25 AM
USA, MD
Joined Jun 2007
35 Posts
I fly on a field that is adjacent to a large river on a regular basis. I find that there is often lift along the land water interface and that the thermals often follow that line or break off depending on the prevailing wind. Wind off the water almost always means poor lift conditions. This time of year when the water is a lot cooler and the wind tends to pick up and break up/move the thermals from mid morning to late afternoon. I have had some good luck flying in the very late afternoon. If I go inland some the conditions generally change markedly.
Fclip is offline Find More Posts by Fclip
Old Feb 29, 2012, 11:01 AM
United States, MD
Joined Jan 2012
112 Posts
Thanks Bud. I too found some lift near the water's edge. More from the slight breeze hitting the edge of the land and diverting upward I think.

Happy Hunting!
paxfish is offline Find More Posts by paxfish
Old Feb 29, 2012, 05:32 PM
Nova Scotia Canada
Joined Jan 2004
1,021 Posts
In Winter in Nova Scotia, we fly slope at Lawrencetown Beach, just east of Halifax. The slope is only about 100 ft high, but the lift is steady coming from the sea.
On occasions during the winter, with snow covered land, the sea water is at a higher temperature than the land and will actually generate real thermals (as opposed to actual slope lift). I have had thermals loft my models to 300-400 ft which would normally not be attainable from a 100 ft hill.
John O'Sullivan is offline Find More Posts by John O'Sullivan