SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 27, 2012, 12:34 PM
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Sep 2009
652 Posts
Tunderslimer,

WOW! So this is what I have to look forward too! Looks great! Not a lot you can do with all that wiring, but you seem to have yours very well organized.

Thanks for the photos! They will be a big help once I get to the stage.

Rob
twwd is offline Find More Posts by twwd
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 27, 2012, 12:53 PM
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Sep 2012
58 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twwd View Post
Tunderslimer,

WOW! So this is what I have to look forward too! Looks great! Not a lot you can do with all that wiring, but you seem to have yours very well organized.

Thanks for the photos! They will be a big help once I get to the stage.

Rob
Thanks
Agree on the whole wiring thing - it's pretty sloppy at the moment. I'm planning on shortening the wires as much as I can while still having the arms fold back. There needs to be quite a bit extra in order to facilitate the folding arms. Anyway, I'm going to be zip tying the cables together and putting on that wire covering (loom) to tighten it all up.
I'll post more pics as I go further into it! I still need to buy a radio... but I should have everything else in the next week or so!
Actually... something to consider... I have this KK board:
http://rctimer.com/index.php?gOo=goo...5&productname=
and I've ordered this one:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=24723

I really like the idea of the LCD board for field adjustments... but the design of the scorpion will make that difficult. Might not be possible to reach the buttons.

I'm going to wait until i get the LCD board before going much further than soldering so I can compare the two.
Tunderslimer is offline Find More Posts by Tunderslimer
Old Sep 27, 2012, 04:49 PM
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Sep 2009
652 Posts
I did the same thing you did and purchased both those same boards. I am new to the Multirotors so I am building a Quadcopter to learn on, but I did buy the y650 Scorpion frame so that I would have it when I was ready to transition to something a little more complicated.

I took Marks advice and I am starting out with something a little simpler to learn on.

Keep those great photos coming, and be sure to let us know your ideas on the two boards you have!

Rob
Old Sep 28, 2012, 11:33 AM
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Sep 2012
58 Posts
Scorpion's little brother!

I did some soldering and clean up on the wiring, this works for me.

Compared to the other side:

Arm folded!

Old Sep 28, 2012, 11:52 AM
1.21 Gigawatts!
Irvine, CA, USA
Joined Oct 2000
7,537 Posts
I got one of these ready to fly for sale. Please PM me if interested.
Steph280 is offline Find More Posts by Steph280
Old Sep 28, 2012, 09:11 PM
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Sep 2009
652 Posts
I am very new to Multirotor aircraft flying! First time out! I do have a X525 V3 Quadcopter to start with and I also purchased the Hobby King Y650 Scorpion. I realize I need to start with the Quadcopter.

My question is this for those that know about the control boards. I purchased both the HK Atmegal168PA Board and the more advanced KK2.0 Flight Control Board.
I want the simplest possible way to fly the Quadcopter! From the instructions on the 168PA Board you can fly using what I would call a default set up and avoid using a more complicated programming device! By using your Receiver and Transmitter with the aircraft controls (Rudder, Ailerons, Flaps, Throttle, etc.) I understand there is some set up with this method as well! Am I understanding the instructions correctly? You can use one or the other?

Any input would be appreciated!

Rob
Old Oct 03, 2012, 07:44 PM
Swinger. Heli and planks!
United States, OR, Foster
Joined Mar 2007
945 Posts
Rob,

I would suggest going with the KK 2.0 board. Here is a video I took after getting my X525 perfectly tuned.

HK KK 2.0 Quadcopter. Perfectly stable KK 2.0 board. (4 min 4 sec)
BennettOZ84 is offline Find More Posts by BennettOZ84
Old Oct 03, 2012, 07:56 PM
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Sep 2012
58 Posts
At this point I have to echo the response to use the kk board. I tried the other one I have... Did everything properly, flashed it for the scorpion bla bla bla... I'm not retarded but for the life of me I could not get that thing to arm. Took it out, ripped the mounts off and started again with the kk2.0 lcd board. Had my escs calibrated 30 secs after that, and everything else ready to go. Wayyyyyy better board to get started with imo. I have some new pics showing the rest of my build... I will post them as soon as I can. Right now it looks like you can still reach the buttons and see the screen even with the rest of the body put together. First flight tonight or tomorrow!
Old Oct 03, 2012, 09:02 PM
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Sep 2009
652 Posts
BennettOZ84 & Thunderslimer,

Thank you both for the video and the input! You guys are very helpful! What would I ever do without these wonderful build blogs! I will use the KK Board on both the X525 Qaud, and order up another board for the Scorpion. Thunderslimer I am very happy that the KK Board is going to work out on the Scorpion!

Looking forward to some more of your great photos! Thanks very much for the information you guys, it sure is very helpful to me!

Rob
Old Oct 04, 2012, 08:35 PM
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Sep 2009
652 Posts
I Have a question about the Power Distribution Board to fabricate for the Y650 Scorpion? Where do you purchase the and do you have any sites we can go to that shows the wiring process. If we are using 20 to 30 ESC's these boards must be fairly heavy I would think.

Any info would be appreciated! Thanks.

Rob
Old Oct 04, 2012, 09:00 PM
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Sep 2009
652 Posts
Another comment.

I found the Quadcoptor Power Distribution Board from Hobby King and that will be the one I am using on the Qaudcopter I am building. They have a Octocopter Power Distribution Board but it is rated for only 8X 10 amp max! That 10 amp really scares me! What would you suggest for the Scorpion?
Thanks,
Rob
Old Oct 05, 2012, 12:55 AM
Dreamer
Australia, TAS, Memana
Joined Aug 2004
2,208 Posts
Quote:
Another comment.

I found the Quadcoptor Power Distribution Board from Hobby King and that will be the one I am using on the Qaudcopter I am building. They have a Octocopter Power Distribution Board but it is rated for only 8X 10 amp max! That 10 amp really scares me! What would you suggest for the Scorpion?
Thanks,
Rob
Hey Rob,
That power distribution board should be fine ... 80 amps all up is a lot of current and equates to about 900 watts on 3 cells. It would take some extreme flying to put that sort of load on the distribution board (especially for any length of time). Personally I prefer distribution boards without the bullet connectors, and solder your wires straight to the board. just makes for one less fail point (I have not found bullet connectors to be super reliable). www.goodluckbuy.com, ebay, www.abusemark.com . have high current version of the distribution boards without bullet connectors. Alternatively you can just clump all the wires together, solder and heatshrink and not bother with a distribution board at all.

Mark
kaz1104 is offline Find More Posts by kaz1104
Old Oct 05, 2012, 03:58 AM
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Sep 2009
652 Posts
Thanks Mark!

I see your point! I am going to order up two of the boards you suggested and use one on the Quad and the other on the Scorpion. I do like to solder so this will make the builds even more fun, and make for better connections.
Thanks again,
Rob
Old Oct 05, 2012, 05:14 AM
Dreamer
Australia, TAS, Memana
Joined Aug 2004
2,208 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Mark!

I see your point! I am going to order up two of the boards you suggested and use one on the Quad and the other on the Scorpion. I do like to solder so this will make the builds even more fun, and make for better connections.
Thanks again,
Rob
No problem Rob,
Just remember everyone has different ways of doing thing, not necessarily right or wrong. Soldering makes it harder to swap things around but is less likely to be a point of failure.
Goodluckbuy can be very slow with shipping but is very cheap. Timecops site, abusemark, is VERY fast with shipping, fair prices, and he also has other nice goodies (flashed esc's, etc)
Mark
kaz1104 is offline Find More Posts by kaz1104
Old Oct 05, 2012, 02:57 PM
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Sep 2012
58 Posts
Finished my build!

Here is the first KK board I installed. It's the KK5.5 from rctimer. I couldn't get it to arm, likely because of the throttle settings on my DX8. Anyway this is how it looked:

Full view:

I was in a hurry and wanted to get this thing off the ground so I ended up going with the KK2.0LCD board... it worked like a charm and was super easy to set up. I was worried I wouldn't be able to see the screen or press the buttons when it was put together though...:

Electronics installed, note you can still see the LCD screen!

Here's what it looks like complete!

Access to control board from the rear:

Aaaaaaaaaaand the reason to have lots of extra props on hand:

I ordered 48 more props this morning (yep 48) and should have those next week. Tuning the KK board has been tricky so far, but I've watched all the videos on here and I think I'll be able to at least get it to hover soon. It likes to do its own thing right now. BOY does it have a lot of power though... the thing will probably hover at 30-35% throttle. I think I went a bit overkill on motors and props.

Once I can actually fly it around a little bit I'll make a video!