HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 21, 2013, 11:26 PM
Tama, Iowa USA
Joined Dec 2007
576 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rem Fodder View Post
[ By the way, you guys are way over-thinking the requirements for this conversion.
Your right, I'm a huge proponent of "keep it simple stupid", should follow my own advice...

If your landing with 25% reserve capacity on a 10 minute flight, then that is pretty good performance in my books. I'm pretty sure I know what I need to do here moving forward. Its really now down to my getting off the fence and scooping up this kit. Now, if I can just persuade my significant other as to why I need another kit.........any advice on that matter guys???

Rem[/QUOTE]

You are on your own there, lol. Good luck!
Staggerflyer is offline Find More Posts by Staggerflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 25, 2013, 08:01 AM
Canada, NS, Head of St Margarets Bay
Joined Aug 2011
8 Posts
battery placement...

Hi Guys,

I am just about to buy one of these as they are a really beautiful airplane.

I have the GP Ultimate 160 and converted it to electric also.

I have a question...

Why not put the batteries thru a hatch under the plane instead of from the top? That's what i did fro the Ultimate and it works really nicely. You can't see the batteries when the plane is upright.

I am planning on using a Hacker A50-16l, which puts out about 1650 watts. Not sure what batteries i will run yet...twin 4 cells or a single 5 cell....

Looking for advice...

thanks,

Brian
RCMetalhead is offline Find More Posts by RCMetalhead
Old Feb 25, 2013, 01:05 PM
Tama, Iowa USA
Joined Dec 2007
576 Posts
Someone with better engineering skills than I could probably do it, but there is not the easily accessed area there. Landing gear mount right ahead of wing, instead of on firewall. You would be weakening main structure from underneath. Batteries installed from top set on top of this structure.
Staggerflyer is offline Find More Posts by Staggerflyer
Old Feb 26, 2013, 09:18 AM
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
5,137 Posts
It can be a real pain to turn the plane over every time you want to install/remove the batteries. You need to put something soft (towel or carpet) on the stand or on the ground so you don't dent or scratch up the top wing while you push the batteries in place. The reason I know this is I have the Great Planes big Reactor Bipe and the batteries install through a hatch on the bottom.

McD
kingsflyer is offline Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Old Mar 01, 2013, 09:35 PM
United States, NM, Espanola
Joined Nov 2011
550 Posts
she's here!

Mine arrived about an hour ago! Can't wait to get started!
Dan
poziovahim is offline Find More Posts by poziovahim
Old Mar 01, 2013, 11:38 PM
Radio-active flyer
Canada, ON, Port Hope
Joined Apr 2012
1,108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by poziovahim View Post
Mine arrived about an hour ago! Can't wait to get started!
Dan
Good luck with yours. I'm ordering mine Saturday. Any idea what power set up you are going to use?

Rem
Rem Fodder is offline Find More Posts by Rem Fodder
Old Mar 02, 2013, 08:03 AM
We shall serve the Lord
Joined Sep 2005
5,137 Posts
I flew mine yesterday and it was WONDERFUL! I'm flying a DLE20 in mine right now.

McD
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Old Mar 02, 2013, 09:04 AM
Radio-active flyer
Canada, ON, Port Hope
Joined Apr 2012
1,108 Posts
Nice looking kit McD! I bet she flies as good as she looks.

Rem
Old Mar 02, 2013, 09:37 AM
We shall serve the Lord
Joined Sep 2005
5,137 Posts
Yes she does. Here's a short video after I sorted out an ignition problem. The DLE20 flies the Waco with scale speed at about 20% throttle opening (half throttle stick position with my throttle curve). At full bore, the Waco looks more like a Warbird than a leasurely old biplane. Enjoy.

McD

DLE20 Fixed (4 min 7 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by kingsflyer; Mar 02, 2013 at 09:44 AM.
Old Mar 02, 2013, 10:06 AM
Joined Nov 2011
550 Posts
Quote:
Good luck with yours. I'm ordering mine Saturday. Any idea what power set up you are going to use?

Rem
Yeah, I've got a Rimfire 1.20, Cobra 100amp ESC and 6s 5000mah packs ready to go!
I'm heading to the field with my Dynam Waco in a few! Gotta beat the winds here in NM then I'm going to check out the GP kit and druel
Old Mar 02, 2013, 01:50 PM
Joined Nov 2011
550 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsflyer View Post
Yes she does. Here's a short video after I sorted out an ignition problem. The DLE20 flies the Waco with scale speed at about 20% throttle opening (half throttle stick position with my throttle curve). At full bore, the Waco looks more like a Warbird than a leasurely old biplane. Enjoy.

McD

http://youtu.be/tHAuCsYNyPc
Just beautiful McD!
I'm stoked now
Dan
Old Mar 02, 2013, 07:45 PM
Radio-active flyer
Canada, ON, Port Hope
Joined Apr 2012
1,108 Posts
McD, great video, man, what a sweet flying model. I ordered one today, so sometime in the next week or so it should arrive. However, it will have to sit in the closet for a while. I'm thinking next year maybe. The price was so good on this kit that I couldn't turn it down, even it meant buying it before I was ready to build. Besides, I've got a few other kits that need flying this summer. Plus I need to either rework my field for this plane or look at joining a local club to fly it. So from now until then I will spend the time gathering all the necessary gear for it.

Dan, I am seriously thinking of going with the Scorpion S4025-14 or 16T. Peak power is in the neighborhood of 2000 watts on a 6 cell pack, so in theory it should be plenty of horsepower to fly this kit. Have fun with your build, I need to concentrate on the Dynam Waco first. I'd be interested to hear what you have to say about both kits.

Rem
Old Mar 06, 2013, 01:36 AM
Joined Nov 2011
550 Posts
Quote:
McD, great video, man, what a sweet flying model. I ordered one today, so sometime in the next week or so it should arrive. However, it will have to sit in the closet for a while. I'm thinking next year maybe. The price was so good on this kit that I couldn't turn it down, even it meant buying it before I was ready to build. Besides, I've got a few other kits that need flying this summer. Plus I need to either rework my field for this plane or look at joining a local club to fly it. So from now until then I will spend the time gathering all the necessary gear for it.

Dan, I am seriously thinking of going with the Scorpion S4025-14 or 16T. Peak power is in the neighborhood of 2000 watts on a 6 cell pack, so in theory it should be plenty of horsepower to fly this kit. Have fun with your build, I need to concentrate on the Dynam Waco first. I'd be interested to hear what you have to say about both kits.

Rem
Rem,
The Dynam Waco is, in my opinion, a super buy considering how great it flies and how iasy it is to put together! I'll have one in my hangar as long as I can
The GP Waco is going together with ease! I'm at the landing gear stage and the carrying handle next! I've built a million kits since '79 and I got to say that this kit is impressive
Dan
Old Mar 07, 2013, 12:02 AM
Radio-active flyer
Canada, ON, Port Hope
Joined Apr 2012
1,108 Posts
Great to see your build is going well and your thoughts on the quality of the kit too. I had a call from the mail order shop today, my order hadn't been shipped yet as they were trying to get a final cost on the over size and insurance charge good old Canada Post was going to hit me with. Good thing was at least the basic shipping charge was waived on this deal. Ships tomorrow now so I should see it early next week.

The Dynam Waco is slowly progressing, not too far from final painting. We have lots of snow here still, plus we also have to go through the muddy season so there really is no big rush to get it done.

Rem
Old Mar 07, 2013, 07:52 PM
Arlington, TX
Joined Jul 2009
1,319 Posts
Wow ! What a beauty. I want one. I've got a little RCG 15cc engine that would be perfect for that airframe. Looks like it flies great.
On second thought, maybe a 15cc would be too small. I just looked it up on Tower's web site and 12 to 13 lbs is a bit heavy ....and the price made my eyes water.

RJ
rowdyjoe is online now Find More Posts by rowdyjoe
Last edited by rowdyjoe; Mar 07, 2013 at 07:57 PM.