HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 05, 2012, 05:03 PM
United States, KY, Madisonville
Joined Mar 2011
550 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ror1 View Post
when I 1st charged and used HK LiPo it lasted a long time. About a month but then I recharged it and it recharged in about 3 hours...that is not correct.
It is now droping much faster...it still lasts longer than the NiMh but not as long as it should.I have to look deeper into it.
When you charge the lipo please note charging time and end voltage please.
Bugbitten is online now Find More Posts by Bugbitten
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: launch elevator
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 05, 2012, 05:26 PM
FPV'r
Canada, ON, Carleton Place
Joined May 2011
1,219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugbitten View Post
When you charge the lipo please note charging time and end voltage please.
as on the DX8(loaded) or actual unloaded.
On the DX8 it only has ever showed 8.0 after 12hrs.
The short charge of 3 hrs showed 7.9
I am in the process of measuring the capacity of the pack.
LipO cutoff of 7.4V
ror1 is offline Find More Posts by ror1
Old Apr 05, 2012, 06:54 PM
United States, KY, Madisonville
Joined Mar 2011
550 Posts
Mine always charged to 8.1 or 8.2 before auto shut off. Won't charge above 7.9 now.
Bugbitten is online now Find More Posts by Bugbitten
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: launch elevator
Old Apr 05, 2012, 10:42 PM
FPV'r
Joined May 2011
1,219 Posts
Quote:
Mine always charged to 8.1 or 8.2 before auto shut off. Won't charge above 7.9 now.
how many hours/days of flying do you get?
what is your low battery alarm set at?
Old Apr 05, 2012, 11:43 PM
Littleton, CO
Joined Nov 2010
1,314 Posts
Quote:
Are you measuring the voltage with the DX8 voltage display (known to display 0.2v - 0.3v low) or with an external volt meter?
Lilienthal is online now Find More Posts by Lilienthal
Old Apr 06, 2012, 01:30 AM
FPV'r
Joined May 2011
1,219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilienthal View Post
Are you measuring the voltage with the DX8 voltage display (known to display 0.2v - 0.3v low) or with an external volt meter?
does not matter, it is all relative. I think he is saying it has dropped by 0.2 to 0.3v.
Old Apr 06, 2012, 01:35 AM
FPV'r
Joined May 2011
1,219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by topgearuk View Post
Your going to be looking for something like this I would imagine, this version is for a single lipo but I'm sure a 2s is very similar...
It could be 2 of these, one for each cell....but that is not good because that means the charge stops whenever one cell is charged and shuts off whenever one cell has reached LVC.
Old Apr 06, 2012, 02:09 AM
Central California
Joined Dec 2006
2,590 Posts
Seems we are really off topic again but since we are here...
My LHS got a batch of the Turnigy DX packs.I support him eery chance I get so I picked one up and put it in my 7s. Ive ran it down maybe 4 or 5 times now and Im starting to notice it seems to be losing capacity.It seems to take alot longer to charge it too.
I used it last week and I started at 7.9 and ran it down to the voltage alarm by the end of the day.
I have an OEM LiPo in my DX8 and I take it out for a day if its at that voltage and I dont think I could run it down in 2 days or more of flying.
It just struck me as odd.I guess I need to pull it out and cycle it down to see what its actual capacity is.
aerocal is online now Find More Posts by aerocal
Old Apr 06, 2012, 02:29 AM
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
6,002 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerocal View Post
Seems we are really off topic again but since we are here...
My LHS got a batch of the Turnigy DX packs.I support him eery chance I get so I picked one up and put it in my 7s. Ive ran it down maybe 4 or 5 times now and Im starting to notice it seems to be losing capacity.It seems to take alot longer to charge it too.
What voltage are you running it down to?
Gerry__ is offline Find More Posts by Gerry__
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Foamie Resurrection
Old Apr 06, 2012, 03:16 AM
Central California
Joined Dec 2006
2,590 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry__ View Post
What voltage are you running it down to?
Twice I ran it down to the alarm-6.4 and a couple other times down to maybe 7.
A few times I topped if off when it was 7.7 or more.It never seemed to go higher than 8.2 or 8.3 when the charger shut off.I did cross check it with a MM
and the display in my radio is fairly accurate.I put the OEM LiPo pack that I run in my DX8 into it and it tops at 8.4 everytime.Same as it does in the 8.
Dont get me wrong.The Turnigy pack works ok.It just seems to be slightly off.It could be getting a bit weak already.Its half as old and used half as much as the OEM pack in my 8.It is what it is I guess.Its roughly half the price or maybe a bit less so I guess you could buy 2 if they last half as long and still be money ahead.If it does look like its getting a bit wimpy and if I have to replace it in a year I may decide to get an OEM pack again next time.
If I get it at my LHS theres probably a bit more profit margin for him plus Im supporting the ones who actually developed it instead of those who just copy it and sell it cheaper.
I fly helis so the few extra bucks for a Tx pack isnt going to kill me.Im not a real big fan of knockoffs either but thats just me.We all make different decisions.
aerocal is online now Find More Posts by aerocal
Old Apr 06, 2012, 04:38 AM
Deutschland, Hessen, LA
Joined Jan 2009
1,208 Posts
Quote:
The Turnigy DX8 Intelligent Transmitter Pack also features a built in voltage protection circuit, this circuit will automatically cutoff once the pack drops to 2.85v per cell ensuring the battery will not be damaged if you accidentally leave your transmitter switched on. The voltage protection circuit will also restrict charging to 4.2v per cell ensuring the pack can never be over charged.
vs
Quote:
The 4000 2S LiPo offers not only double the flight time as the stock DX8 battery but also advanced safety and features. It also includes a built in safety current that shuts the battery off, to avoid overcharging and damaging the battery and radio. Plus a built in balancing system to make sure you get the longest life and power from your pack.
Find you the difference between both LiPos?
Kambalunga is offline Find More Posts by Kambalunga
Old Apr 06, 2012, 08:18 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,367 Posts
55$ or so diff.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Apr 06, 2012, 09:54 AM
Chester UK
Joined Mar 2006
159 Posts
Variable mixes on DX8

Hi,
Maybe I'm expecting too much from the DX8
I have set up a mix between 2 channels.

On my old Futaba set I could select a rotary knob to control the amount of mixing from 0 to 100%

Then go fly and tweak the amount of mix with the plane in the air.

Can't seem to do that on the DX8?

AJ
dodlestonian is offline Find More Posts by dodlestonian
Old Apr 06, 2012, 09:59 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,367 Posts
you can't - one of the reasons why I am considering the DX18 after only 2 years with the DX8.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Apr 06, 2012, 10:09 AM
3D Hack
United States, IL, Glen Carbon
Joined Jul 2010
1,936 Posts
I'm not being sarcastic - this is a serious question:

Why would you want to do that?

JC
JC Spohr is offline Find More Posts by JC Spohr
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: About Me