SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 18, 2005, 02:32 PM
Joined Aug 2005
126 Posts
What's the next leap of faith after many practice of hovering

Hi everyone, I have purchased my first heli (Blade CP), I've beed practicing
with the tainning gear on ( those four ping pong balls) hovering like an inch of the ground masterd my control , once in a while i would pull it up to 4 feet but bring it down, i am a little scared, to crash it, but when im hovering an inch off the ground and the balls are dragging i am confident. But I need to gradiate from that, what is your advice?. I don't know any body that flies a heli. Many thanks
PPabalan is offline Find More Posts by PPabalan
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 18, 2005, 02:36 PM
Raptor 50 + TRex 450
Norwich UK
Joined Mar 2005
519 Posts
Get it out of ground effect and practice hovering at about 2 feet. You will still be in the 'safe zone' should you get into trouble.
Once that is sorted try hovering with different orientations, side on left and right and eventually nose in.

Jon
mazakari is offline Find More Posts by mazakari
Old Oct 18, 2005, 02:46 PM
semper ventosus
Sasebo, Japan
Joined Jun 2004
992 Posts
PPabalan, I just ordered a helo my self and I have been doing a lot of reading at the ehbg 15 website.
http://ehbg.rchomepage.com/
I think what you're looking for starts on chapter 14, that's if you want to read.
I have been practicing on real flight G3 for a couple of weeks, using all the techniques in the EHBG 15 and I think I'm doing alright. Good luck.
weather_man is offline Find More Posts by weather_man
Old Oct 18, 2005, 03:00 PM
Rank 1 Registered User
Lutterworth
Joined Jun 2005
241 Posts
I have to agree with mazakari. Getting the heli out of ground effect makes a lot of differance as turbulance from the blades tends to make the heli skip all over the place.

I have only been flying for a couple of weeks and the advice I can stronly give is take your time. You will find that it will just suddenly click and it's their. Hovering is hard but you soon get the hang of it. One thing I will say is, don't put to much stick movement into the transmitter sticks or you will over control it! Small movements are all you need. I'm just starting to lift off, move forward, pull back into the hover and land. Also, hovering side on and nose in. Nose in is hard!

Don't over do it either. Too much too long to death us do part! Good luck!!
robmac is offline Find More Posts by robmac
Old Oct 18, 2005, 03:12 PM
That'll hold until ...
Hampton Roads Va.
Joined Oct 2004
3,560 Posts
I agree with the 2-3'. Don't worry about trying to hover a full pack out just get it up out of GE and hold it there for 20-30 secs and then land. Don't worry too much about perfecting the hover just try to do good landings. When you get to the point the landings are all survivable. Ditch the training gear, as it has an adverse effect on the helis flight. Then start it again without the training gear. When comfortable just rotate the tail R or L for the briefest of seconds, back to tail in then the other way. The times will get longer on their own and you'l be used to rotating back to tail in next thing you know you'll be hovering side in.
swatson144 is offline Find More Posts by swatson144
Old Oct 18, 2005, 03:13 PM
Honey Badger
United States, FL
Joined Oct 2005
1,814 Posts
Just keep doing what you're doing. Practice, practice, practice. If something breaks - it's usually easy to fix and fairly inexpensive. As time passes you'll start getting a little more bold and getting good at 2 feet, then 4, then 10....
Blue Chip is offline Find More Posts by Blue Chip
Old Oct 21, 2005, 10:00 AM
Sunday Flier
Sweden
Joined May 2005
1,488 Posts
And get rid of the training gear. Once you can land without skidding around too much it's unnecessary anyway.
Rickenbacker is offline Find More Posts by Rickenbacker
Old Oct 21, 2005, 10:07 AM
Alphabandaid
Marshfield, Wisconsin, United States
Joined May 2003
1,259 Posts
This is Radds Rotary Flight School I highly recommend this. Worked for me, and many others.
http://www.dream-models.com/eco/flying-index.html
aplphabandaid is offline Find More Posts by aplphabandaid
Old Oct 21, 2005, 10:18 AM
Joined Mar 2005
1,881 Posts
contact303 is offline Find More Posts by contact303
Last edited by contact303; Feb 14, 2006 at 03:23 PM.
Old Oct 21, 2005, 10:29 AM
Basingstoke Hampshire UK
Joined Sep 2005
124 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPabalan
Hi everyone, I have purchased my first heli (Blade CP), I've beed practicing
with the tainning gear on ( those four ping pong balls) hovering like an inch of the ground masterd my control , once in a while i would pull it up to 4 feet but bring it down, i am a little scared, to crash it, but when im hovering an inch off the ground and the balls are dragging i am confident. But I need to gradiate from that, what is your advice?. I don't know any body that flies a heli. Many thanks
Concentrate on getting it a bit higher. You need to be 1.5 X rotor dia to get out of ground effect. The response will be very washy that low. Another thing get out of the habit of shutting the throttle when you get out of shape. Learn to sort it in the air. When I was instructing I would tell my students to apply power when they think they are going to dump it. Gives you more time to get it back to the safe zone in front of you.

Learn to come off the ground straight and come up in front of you. Keep it there for a while to allow your brain to learn and then put it gently down. Rest. Its important to rest. Pick it up again and try and keep in 1 place for the same time or bit longer. Set it down and rest again. Keep doing this until you can hover a pack out. Once you can do this its plain sailing
Darx-starz is offline Find More Posts by Darx-starz
Old Oct 21, 2005, 12:12 PM
Suspended Account
Roosevelt UT
Joined Oct 2004
1,982 Posts
one day its just gonna snap! like it did for me! but how i learned how to keep it in a hover as long a s i please i did this: i was watching vids of other helis just hovering around and some FF when they were in a hover and got close to the ground i though " i would have set her down right there" but they didnt!! so i applied that idea to my flying and when i came close to the ground after i was 4-5 ft high trying to hover and came close to the ground i just gave a little bit more throttle and kept goin like the guys in the vid did!

try getting about 4 ft high and if it comes close to the ground just throttle up more! to altitude again! if ya come close to the ground dont think "CHOP THE THROTTLE" just keep going and it'll snap!! the next day you'll start FFF and piros and circuits!!
Eeeeky is offline Find More Posts by Eeeeky