Joined Feb 2004
1,741 Posts
You need to let the cap build up chArge. Then power on the rx
sajeev is offline Find More Posts by sajeev
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 09, 2014, 05:32 PM
Joined Mar 2014
9 Posts
The lipo is directly hooked up and it was puffed up which is undoubtedly from charging it incorrectly. Good thing I bought two Still working on the capacitor issue which would definitely be preferable. The plane can barely fly so any extra weight will make it drop and if I need bigger capacitors, that will probably be too much weight.

I waited long enough that the caps were charged and the extra current was going into the Rx making it turn on and off rapidly as if the capacitors weren't there. Turned on the Rx and it would blink irregularly. I'll play around with it some more to make sure though.

thanks for the input of the different battery types, I'll try to find some.
bigburlybug is offline Find More Posts by bigburlybug
Last edited by bigburlybug; Apr 09, 2014 at 05:38 PM.
Old Apr 09, 2014, 05:39 PM
United States, VA, Fairfax
Joined Feb 2004
1,741 Posts
LiPos need to be charged in a special way. I used to hook up NiCad to my car battery. But you have to be careful with LiPo. Charge it the wrong way and it will explode and probably cost you your plane
sajeev is offline Find More Posts by sajeev
Old Apr 18, 2014, 02:45 PM
Joined Mar 2014
9 Posts
The End

We did not get the full 100 yards that the competition required. The plane made it 79 yards and the sun decided to hide behind a cloud. We charged the battery up before we took off a bit to try and prevent this but not enough. The plane made it the second furthest out of the competition with only a powered blimp making it to the finish line. With clear blue skies and strong sun, we would have made it without a problem.

So the final configuration of the plane was 10 solar panels, a motor for the ultra micro j3 piper cub, and 30 mAh hour lipo battery all wired together in parallel. I decided to switch out the Ember motor for the J3 piper cub in order to make the plane go faster. It needed more power so I got two more solar panels, which would also make it go faster. The project was a failure but next year it will be a success since we will have more time shave weight, get the center of gravity right, and know how much to precharge for specific sunlight conditions. There might be a video of it flying and the whole competition here in the future.

Thanks for all of the help
bigburlybug is offline Find More Posts by bigburlybug