SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 22, 2013, 10:05 AM
Joined Mar 2011
1,491 Posts
Discussion
Hinge Slotting Tool Recommendations?

I want to buy a good hinge slotting tool for nylon hinges in foam airplanes and would greatly appreciate any recommendations.

Thank you!
itsme2 is online now Find More Posts by itsme2
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 22, 2013, 10:14 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,771 Posts
Personally I just use a scalpel and then open up the slot with a piece of junior hacksaw blade.

You could use this tool I suppose --

Great Planes Motorized Hinge Slotting Machine

or these guide tools --

http://www.pegasusmodels.co.uk/prodc...s&maingp=Tools
eflightray is online now Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Nov 22, 2013, 10:42 AM
Nick
United States, AL, Hoover
Joined May 2012
175 Posts
I normally use an xacto knife like eflightray suggested.
When I do I use this tool for marking the center line
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...FQto7AodvGMAgQ

Lately I have been using this tool. It cuts in balsa and foam and can cut slots in wood or balsa material from 3/32 - 1/4 inch thick.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXG872&P=ML

Nick
Nicksbbq is offline Find More Posts by Nicksbbq
Old Nov 22, 2013, 11:47 AM
mcg
Joined Jul 2005
742 Posts
Harry Higley slotter

http://www.harryhigley.com/64Hin.htm
mcg is offline Find More Posts by mcg
Old Nov 22, 2013, 11:49 AM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
7,243 Posts
A push pin and pieces of Fishing line hinges :-)
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Old Nov 23, 2013, 01:54 AM
KNS
Switzerland, SO, Olten
Joined Dec 2012
397 Posts
On wooden planes : You could simply build the hinge slots (e.g. assemble spars / rudder LE from stick wood) rather than cutting them later.
KNS is offline Find More Posts by KNS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Latest concluded projects
Old Nov 23, 2013, 07:09 AM
United States, KY, Taylorsville
Joined Mar 2010
1,756 Posts
I use 'The Digger' hinging tool. I think it is by E.J. Lind... the same folks that made (make?) magnetic building boards. It is a little thin so I alternately bent the teeth sideways to get the slot width needed. This also helps dig the balsa from the slot better. You could easily make a similar tool by cutting some brass (or better, steel) strip to shape using your Dremel. I did that when I temporarily misplaced my Digger.
ARUP is offline Find More Posts by ARUP
Old Nov 23, 2013, 07:59 AM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2006
4,258 Posts
I've used most every method suggested and won a Great Planes Slot Machine at a Fun Fly. I love it and would not go back to doing it any other way. The Slot Machine comes with a couple different sized slotting blades to accommodate different thickness hinges. It also comes with a centering tool to center the slots on the control surface and wing, fin and H.stab. My only concerns with it is it might not be very robustly built. However, they are reasonably priced; so, replacement wouldn't be a big thing.
Mode One is offline Find More Posts by Mode One
Old Nov 23, 2013, 08:29 AM
Wallingford, Ct
Joined Sep 2001
1,934 Posts
To open up the slot, I have cut the end off a nail file and work it in the slot.
Al M is online now Find More Posts by Al M
Old Nov 23, 2013, 07:07 PM
Joined Mar 2011
1,491 Posts
Can anyone comment on how well the Great Planes Slot Machine might work on foam?

Thank you!
itsme2 is online now Find More Posts by itsme2
Old Nov 24, 2013, 12:39 AM
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Mar 2004
3,308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsme2 View Post
Can anyone comment on how well the Great Planes Slot Machine might work on foam?

Thank you!
I love my GreatPlanes slotter too.. and since you asked how it "might" work on foam.. I can honestly answer here since you asked "might.. I'm going to speculate a bit if nobody minds.... haha..., as I've not used it on foam for a few reasons.. first is.. I've never had too.

Foam is usually pretty soft, and I've done alot of hinging using the Dubro manual slotting tools. A few stabs and slices with those, and its usually done done. If the foam is too heavy and dense to cut easily, I wouldn't expect it to make a decent wing... as it stands to reason... I might be off here a bit.. but just sayin..

Second reason is.. as fast as that slotting tool cuts even hardwood.. I'd venture a guess it would "chew" more foam then I'd like... and those tools will cut slots in balsa in very short order... like about 4 seconds or less...

I have pondered it on a few foam projects..

What is the application or plane you're needing the slots on?..

I do have to say hinge-slots can be obtained with many varieties of tools and techniques... and its a very wide open subject, as it is the hinges that ultimately hold the guidance on our pride and joy projects... Theres more then one "right way" no doubt... I personally wouldn't go the "powered hinge slotter" route on a foam plane though..

There is another alternative.. just buy a few different tools.. The powered slotter is a great tool to have.. just as a few Dubro style slotters(manual).. and of course theres the guages(centering/drilling/etc..).. you really can't go wrong with any or all of these.. I don't think there'd be any question there..
and as ModeOne pointed out, the slotter.. and the above mentioned manual tools are all pretty decently priced.
Good luck.
DGrant is online now Find More Posts by DGrant
Old Nov 24, 2013, 09:21 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Nov 2013
31 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eflightray View Post
Personally I just use a scalpel and then open up the slot with a piece of junior hacksaw blade.

You could use this tool I suppose --

Great Planes Motorized Hinge Slotting Machine

or these guide tools --

http://www.pegasusmodels.co.uk/prodc...s&maingp=Tools
I use the same technique, but use an Exacto blade. Works great for me on my foam planes. Haven't tried a scalpel yet, though. Maybe I should.
Guy Noir is offline Find More Posts by Guy Noir
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 25, 2013, 09:34 PM
United States, MI, Durand
Joined Feb 2004
67 Posts
Take a look here......http://aerobroach.com/
jones04 is offline Find More Posts by jones04
Old Jan 19, 2014, 09:53 AM
ken kalynuk, winnipeg CAN
Winnipeg, MB CANADA
Joined Feb 2000
205 Posts
I'm getting a virus warning off the AeroBroach web site, anyone know where to get the AeroBroach hinge slot tool?
kenair is offline Find More Posts by kenair
Old Jan 19, 2014, 10:35 AM
San Diego, California
Joined Dec 2004
3,600 Posts
I just followed that link and got no warning????

Les
LesUyeda is offline Find More Posts by LesUyeda