SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 03, 2013, 09:34 PM
Joined Mar 2008
34 Posts
Discussion
liFe RX battery for new Jae/Zippkits .12 ourigger + few questions

have a used jae .12 rigger on the way via ebay and will need a few items; rx battery, switch, box cover. curious if a 600 or 700 mAh liFe battery (@ 45 grams) is the right one to get, or go with a 1100mah (@ 65 grams). there is also a 200mah one at @20g! - not sure I would trust after a afternoon of testing though. both servos are futaba minis.

my rossi powered mono .21 got water in the box last weekend and ruined a servo (into the wind flip after bringing trim tabs up (hull tuning). corrosionX in the receiver brought back the rx in the evening - phew. Do you guys open up servos and coat the boards? servos motors? also, how about the orangeRx receivers.. trustworthy? I use spektrum gear. I have seen 3 hobbyking flysky failures this season.. all on expensive gassers. cheaping out on the radio gear seems silly to me... and potentially dangerous.

re: jae 12 rudder throw.... start with @ in the ron olson/pink rigger as attached?

here is a photo of the boat on the way... will be doing some cleanup (remote needle right off carb, fresh lines here and there, etc...) and making sure the boat is straight on my glass table. *novarossi is the .12 5 port TOP engine; will be running torco 50% and mc-9 plugs.

She needs a radio box cover... looking for a 1mm carbon sheet to cut as i saw on a Ron Olson Jae .12 ; looks sweet! have done electrics, sick of charging batteries. the gas stuff is a bit expensive (except for the gas), so nitro it is!

thank you for your time, Harry in San Diego, Ca
hsp-sandiego is offline Find More Posts by hsp-sandiego
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 04, 2013, 08:59 AM
RC boat Rock Star
Kalamazoo, MI
Joined Apr 2004
2,951 Posts
I've still got that rigger sitting in my basement and then built another of the 2nd version. I just swapped away my JAE .21 2 weeks ago.
I picked up some carbon fiber sheet off eBay many years ago so that's what I used. I don't have a large enough piece left to make another one otherwise I'd send it to you. I can't find that one either right now, I just looked. It might have gone with the other one.
Here's the other one. Since those shots I've also picked up some cowls to cover the tank and the front of the engine. They are made by David Preusse but some others have some also.
Ron Olson is offline Find More Posts by Ron Olson
Old Nov 04, 2013, 10:50 AM
Tombsy
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Jan 2009
152 Posts
I use the 850mah life it's plenty of juice I use it in my bigger boats too. I tried the little 200mah as well it would probably be enough but I was a little nervous and wired two in parallel.
If you haven't already get the build manual its one of the best ones for a boat kit.
http://www.zippkits.com/12G2.pdf
Pescador is offline Find More Posts by Pescador
Old Nov 04, 2013, 09:17 PM
RC boat Rock Star
Kalamazoo, MI
Joined Apr 2004
2,951 Posts
I've only used 4-cell packs in my .12 'riggers, little AAA packs. The mini and micro servo's don't draw that much juice and fit easily inside the radio box. They were 400 mah. They've done well in my other .12 boats.

I like the online instructions as they're in color whereas the ones that come with the kits are just black & white. If you run into a tough spot then you can refer to the .pdf version.
Old Nov 07, 2013, 01:31 AM
Joined Mar 2008
34 Posts
thanks! +receivers and a little rambling.

great.. thank you. I ordered a 700mah liFe battery today. she came with some nice Futaba servos; 2x S3016 mini MG @44oz torque servos. Looking forward to running this little rigger. Only rigger at our pond is a .21... fast and on rails!

-any advice on receivers? worthwhile to plunk down for the spektrum marine models? I run spektrum gear and run in mild saltwater in San DIego, Ca. at a beautiful model boat pond that was created for the Boy Scouts in the 50's I believe.
cool vintage birds eye view attached.

funny thing is, usage is pretty minimal, as is the world class torrey pines rc glider cliffs (next to torrey pines golf course). indoor clay track for short course is popular; i use to race there, but always seem to come back to rc boating.
thanks.
Old Nov 07, 2013, 01:34 AM
Joined Mar 2008
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pescador View Post
I use the 850mah life it's plenty of juice I use it in my bigger boats too. I tried the little 200mah as well it would probably be enough but I was a little nervous and wired two in parallel.
If you haven't already get the build manual its one of the best ones for a boat kit.
http://www.zippkits.com/12G2.pdf
cool.. thank you. I was thinking the little 200's would do okay, but wouldn't want to chance it as you noted; dangerous and probably not worth the few grams. thanks.
Old Nov 07, 2013, 07:40 AM
RC boat Rock Star
Kalamazoo, MI
Joined Apr 2004
2,951 Posts
Is that Spreckles Lake? I know of a guy that does some factory testing there, Bill Oxidean. Look for an old drop-top Olds with gold wires.

If you're going to use the Spektrum then definitely using the Marine RX. Don't risk using a regular one.