HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Sep 09, 2013, 01:41 PM
Folding Spacetime
navigator2011's Avatar
United States, CA, Fullerton
Joined Jul 2011
2,018 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychlic View Post
Yeah, I only go there now very early or very late when there's nobody around.

But, the real issue is that people need to respect others space, and not be reckless with minors in your charge.
Yep, I go super early when nobody is around, too. Then, only the noise of the motor is an issue--I've been yelled at before because of the motor noise. I just immediately packed up & bailed. When the cops drove by me flying a couple days later, they looked and kept on driving. That's the way we want it to stay.

Consider, if you convince that coach how dangerous your helicopter is, he or she might go make a big deal with the school officials, and then you're permanently done at that school, people or not. It's much more advantageous to just pack up with a smile, say nothing, and then go back when no one is there.
navigator2011 is offline Find More Posts by navigator2011
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 09, 2013, 10:04 PM
want to fly the big one please
psychlic's Avatar
United States, CA, Covina
Joined Feb 2013
2,846 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by navigator2011 View Post
Yep, I go super early when nobody is around, too. Then, only the noise of the motor is an issue--I've been yelled at before because of the motor noise. I just immediately packed up & bailed. When the cops drove by me flying a couple days later, they looked and kept on driving. That's the way we want it to stay.

Consider, if you convince that coach how dangerous your helicopter is, he or she might go make a big deal with the school officials, and then you're permanently done at that school, people or not. It's much more advantageous to just pack up with a smile, say nothing, and then go back when no one is there.
I'm really not on board with the tolerance thing, it just breeds ignorance and disrespect.
It is sad that we must sneak around like criminals do do a perfectly legal activity.

I think we are just encouraging the problem by running away..............yes, people suck, but there will definitely be NO change if nothing is said or done, YES that means complaining!
I have already contacted the Softball Ass. and they were very interested to hear my story, apologized nicely to me, and said they were definitely going to follow up because there are some teams that are not suppose to be practicing there and she said it sounds like they were not suppose to be there.
She was still like everyone and not concerned about the safety factor but did tell me that it was wrong for them to overrun my location.

See, it pays to speak up. I don't expect anything else to happen but the coach may get a talking to which is all I am after in the first place.

Doing "nothing" changes "nothing".

Yes, it would have been much better to deal with the coach man to man but I felt that this individual had crossed a line that ruined that chance.
psychlic is offline Find More Posts by psychlic
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 09, 2013, 10:12 PM
Folding Spacetime
navigator2011's Avatar
United States, CA, Fullerton
Joined Jul 2011
2,018 Posts
I see your point, and I generally agree. You have the benefit of having been there, and it is a case by case basis. I'm just talking broadly about avoiding a contraction of welcoming flying places.
navigator2011 is offline Find More Posts by navigator2011
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 09, 2013, 10:16 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,318 Posts
I often fly in a mini soccer site with a sign that forbids r/c cars and bicycles. Whenever there are people with bicycles around, I always stop flying as soon as possible. I don't see any point in arguing whether I or the bicycle rider have the "right of way". I don't want to argue either just because r/c helicopter is not listed that it is allowed. I am pretty sure if an accident happens, the rc heli flier will come out worse in any dispute.
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 09, 2013, 10:23 PM
want to fly the big one please
psychlic's Avatar
United States, CA, Covina
Joined Feb 2013
2,846 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by navigator2011 View Post
I see your point, and I generally agree. You have the benefit of having been there, and it is a case by case basis. I'm just talking broadly about avoiding a contraction of welcoming flying places.
Thanks! I hear ya Nav.

This is a fine line we are having to deal with:

1. Do we speak up for our rights and try and educate everyone??

OR

2. Do we keep to ourselves and do damage control & avoidance??

I think #1 is better for the long haul.
Running away from something is not a fix...............it will catch up in the end.
psychlic is offline Find More Posts by psychlic
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 09, 2013, 10:59 PM
Folding Spacetime
navigator2011's Avatar
United States, CA, Fullerton
Joined Jul 2011
2,018 Posts
Yes, but steer the argument away from helicopters and towards the common courtesy issue. What I'm saying is don't go on about how dangerous your heli is,.but rather that they should respect the golden rule, as it were. You and I know how dangerous helis are, they don't need to have an undue fear instilled into them. See what I mean?
navigator2011 is offline Find More Posts by navigator2011
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 09, 2013, 11:16 PM
want to fly the big one please
psychlic's Avatar
United States, CA, Covina
Joined Feb 2013
2,846 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by navigator2011 View Post
Yes, but steer the argument away from helicopters and towards the common courtesy issue. What I'm saying is don't go on about how dangerous your heli is,.but rather that they should respect the golden rule, as it were. You and I know how dangerous helis are, they don't need to have an undue fear instilled into them. See what I mean?
Yes, I know exactly what you mean. I was going to say something on that, that's the fine line I guess.
Some people just don't need to know everything, what they don't know won't hurt them type thing.
When I say educate, that is a tough thing.
I guess educate enough so that they leave us alone, but for the willing off course I will share what I know.

when I said earlier that the lady on the phone with softball assoc. didn't seem concerned about the safety issue was because I really didn't work on that.
As you said I was mostly concerned about the fairplay issue, safety sure, but I am looking out for my best interest too, and to scare everybody would not be in my best interest for sure!

thanks again Nav
psychlic is offline Find More Posts by psychlic
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 09, 2013, 11:30 PM
Folding Spacetime
navigator2011's Avatar
United States, CA, Fullerton
Joined Jul 2011
2,018 Posts
Sounds like were are on the same page, just that writing can be limiting. As long as you and I know that our helis are dangerous, and we fly accordingly, and we take all due precautions, no one else need know other than it looks fun. Just my opinion, of course. I'll leave it to the media to spread needless fears.
navigator2011 is offline Find More Posts by navigator2011
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2013, 12:13 AM
want to fly the big one please
psychlic's Avatar
United States, CA, Covina
Joined Feb 2013
2,846 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by navigator2011 View Post
Sounds like were are on the same page, just that writing can be limiting. As long as you and I know that our helis are dangerous, and we fly accordingly, and we take all due precautions, no one else need know other than it looks fun. Just my opinion, of course. I'll leave it to the media to spread needless fears.
Yup, the good ole media. That's why I was so ticked at the heli guy in the last vid about the NYPark incident, spooling up a 450-500 it looked like in front of his face for the camera, and he was suppose to be well know for building....................safety NO!

Naw, I'm not going to spend time explaining anything to the "loser" types, but some day there may be a smart individual out there that is interested.
I would not mind at all helping them learn more about helis.

Hey, thought it might be fun for you guys to see some pics of the "Softball Coach Incident". I didn't take these pics for this but the big tree I was under at the time is just to the right of the table.
This area is way off in the corner were nobody goes and uses the baseball field, that's why the janitors leave all their crap laying around. Good for me, I have nice accommodations for heli maintenance.
The girls place is way at the other end of the fields and are in the last pic.
Nobody EVER has come down here at all.
Weird huh, why would they come ALL THE WAY over to me, to do sit-ups, and park themselves on top of me??

I have yet to figure a good reason other than the coach is an idiot! and now that I look at the pics it is way more than a 100yds!
psychlic is offline Find More Posts by psychlic
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Flying sites in Interlakken Switzerland egall232 Scale Sailplanes 19 Jun 04, 2013 02:15 AM
Help! What frequencies are legal in Switzerland? tony2143 FPV Talk 0 Mar 12, 2013 06:12 AM
Discussion Pelosi calls Arizona Shootings a “Tragic Accident” Mars Rover Life, The Universe, and Politics 34 Jan 16, 2011 10:20 AM
Tragic Mini Max Accident- Calvin feared dead! kansascloud Parkflyers 8 Jan 21, 2010 12:01 PM
Model Helicopter Accident in Japan - tragic incident ptglass Fuel Heli Talk 5 Oct 27, 2005 04:58 AM