HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 15, 2013, 09:50 AM
Umkomaas, South Africa
Joined Mar 2010
223 Posts
Question
Aircraft identification

Can anyone help with the identification of this model, it looks like an Old timer, so I am hoping that someone knows its name as I would love to build one of these at some stage. I think it would be a fun build and with its gull wing a real attention getter where ever it flies.

This is the only picture I have of it.

Thanks
Lionel
SAslinky is offline Find More Posts by SAslinky
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 15, 2013, 01:46 PM
Since 1952
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Oct 2004
1,363 Posts
How cool is that??!!

Watching with interest, Lionel. If nobody has any more details, we should design and build our own! Shouldn't be too hard, with that very nice picture.
Harry D is offline Find More Posts by Harry D
Old Mar 15, 2013, 03:54 PM
Canada, ON, Caledonia
Joined Aug 2007
2,938 Posts
Geeez, whom ever built that wing should be Knighted. Definately a crowd pleaser on or off the strip. LOL

Bill
williame3590 is offline Find More Posts by williame3590
Old Mar 17, 2013, 02:48 AM
United States, CA, Santa Ana
Joined Jul 2010
479 Posts
Looks like a Garami design.

Ross
harborflyer is offline Find More Posts by harborflyer
Old Mar 17, 2013, 12:21 PM
Hatters gonna hat.
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Apr 2011
359 Posts
Paydirt

The model is a design by Dave Prothero. I was not able to determine what he named the model. It looks like the model spans 50 inches and is powered by an AM 15 diesel.

Here
is a small bit of information regarding construction of the airplane. (Scroll down to 3rd article)

Here is another mention of the bird. (Very bottom of page)

Perhaps you could get in contact with Dave Prothero via the above website and find some more information on his plans.

The second link shows a similar shaped bird that apparently Dave P. called the Tangerine Dream. 10 foot span powered by an Irvine 60. Similar shaped bird but with polyhedral instead of curved, single piece wing.

I would love to have plans for both, I'd even be willing to pay perfectly good money for a copy of the set.
madbomber is offline Find More Posts by madbomber
Old Mar 17, 2013, 01:04 PM
Since 1952
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Oct 2004
1,363 Posts
Thanks for that great information, MB.

I was so taken with the model shown in Lionel's first picture that I immediately started drafting up my own layout in CAD, based on the picture. I'm almost finished with that and am planning on starting building as soon as I find the time. What I end up with may or may not be close to the original but either way is OK by me.

I was also planning on using a curved wing building board (but mine made of sheet metal on plywood end bases so I can use my magnet system) and the old KK "flying scale" fuselage construction style.

Information such as you've provided is great to have, and hopefully more will come to light. Thanks for the leads!
Old Mar 17, 2013, 04:36 PM
Hatters gonna hat.
Joined Apr 2011
359 Posts
Cool Harry. I hope it works out to your expectations. Do you think you will make the plans available somehow?
Old Mar 17, 2013, 08:22 PM
Since 1952
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Oct 2004
1,363 Posts
Sure, if the model turns out semi-decently, flies OK, and anybody wants them. But maybe Dave Prothero's original plans will turn up somehow.

I've been trying to search him out but so far without much success. Unfortunately, the owner of that web site passed away a few years ago so that seems to be a dead end.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 09:26 PM
Hatters gonna hat.
Joined Apr 2011
359 Posts
I noticed that one of the email links was for heathrheath, maybe that is for Heather rather than Heath? Did you try sending something to the email listed on the site? I wonder if they would go somewhere or not...
Old Mar 18, 2013, 01:10 AM
Umkomaas, South Africa
Joined Mar 2010
223 Posts
Thank you very much for that info, I will keep looking for the plans through some sources I have and see what I can come up with.

By the looks of the way the wing was built I think there are no plans available but maybe some dimensions will be available in order to make a copy of that model.

Will keep you all updated on what I find.

Lionel.
SAslinky is offline Find More Posts by SAslinky
Old Mar 18, 2013, 01:21 AM
The dog ate my clearance
Joined Jan 2004
1,094 Posts
Beautiful model!
brokenspar is offline Find More Posts by brokenspar
Old Mar 19, 2013, 01:31 AM
Southern Ontario, Canada
Joined Nov 2001
604 Posts
I must say, I like it!
The curves in the wings almost gives it a rubbery look, like they are rolling in the wind. After reading the article, that is a lot of prep work to build the wing before even laying one stick of balsa down.

Googling around a little didn't produce much but I did find a flying video of Dave Prothero's Tangerine Dream.

Chris

Tangerine Dream flies again at Predannack (5 min 7 sec)
Tomahawk is offline Find More Posts by Tomahawk