HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 01, 2013, 06:10 PM
Joined Jul 2004
3,774 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harris View Post
I don't think the second storm in TN is as bad-- I just saw an arc of rain in the valley and snow in the hills and thought the worst. The Smokies and Carolinas have had problems with roads washing out from all the rain. Not enough for super-flooding, but steady, repeated rain saturates the soil and especially road fill areas and causes a slump, "slope failure".

Saturated soil from gentle rains or snowfall is a killer. A moderate rainfall doesn't infiltrate the soil, it goes mainly into runoff which causes flooding. And tree roots don't hold as well in saturated soils and high winds can easily topple those trees.

We'll see what Mother Nature serves up for us... we'll mostly survive.

--Bill
Now'd be a good time for that New Madrid fault line to bust wide open.
Usta Bee is offline Find More Posts by Usta Bee
Old Feb 01, 2013, 06:13 PM
Joined Jul 2004
3,774 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BE77 Pilot View Post
That is the liberal stench of Washington wafting up north, you should love that.
That's actually the smell of the Patchouli from the 1970's photo Treetop posted of himself earlier in the week.
Usta Bee is offline Find More Posts by Usta Bee
Old Feb 01, 2013, 06:20 PM
Parrothead Extraordinaire
Island of Margaritaville.No parallels of latitude or longitude mark the spot exactly. Passports are not required
Joined Sep 2002
800 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
How is the earthquake warning system working out there?
Hey, at least in an earthquake your stuff is in one pile, not in the next county like in a tornado or hurricane!
Mark Gund is offline Find More Posts by Mark Gund
Old Feb 01, 2013, 06:28 PM
Native American
Joined May 2010
429 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gund View Post
Hey, at least in an earthquake your stuff is in one pile, not in the next county like in a tornado or hurricane!
lol
BE77 Pilot is offline Find More Posts by BE77 Pilot
Old Feb 01, 2013, 06:37 PM
Beaumont ,peoples republic of Kalifornia
Joined Jan 2004
288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gund View Post
Give me a earthquake anyday , They only seem to effect our third world cities. My house was built in the 30's the ones right next to me I hardly feel.
Tornado in the plains states is like russian roulette
debogus is offline Find More Posts by debogus
Old Feb 01, 2013, 09:25 PM
Restful User
Backwoods Alabama
Joined May 2000
3,861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usta Bee View Post
Now'd be a good time for that New Madrid fault line to bust wide open.
I 'spect it waiting for the Spring floods so it can make a(nother) Reel Big Lake...

--Bill
Jacques Flambeau is offline Find More Posts by Jacques Flambeau