HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 10, 2012, 02:39 AM
Joined Oct 2010
227 Posts
Discussion
FY30A camera stabilization experiences?

Hello

I would like to see/hear some experiences for camera-gimbal-stabilzation (and aerial video) with the FY30A.

Does it work? - Smooth?
Does it keep center over time?

Thanks a lot!
ed.ge is offline Find More Posts by ed.ge
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 10, 2012, 08:23 PM
manual flying apologist
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Mar 2011
6,943 Posts
I own one for this purpose but have not use it yet.... too many projects not enough time. I know that it has been used on askman's new gimbal and works well, but it is hard to adjust the gain correctly due to the physically small adjustment pots.

best of luck!
Adidas4275 is offline Find More Posts by Adidas4275
Old Mar 11, 2012, 09:39 PM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,085 Posts
small 180 degree pot makes it tough to adjust, but otherwise works well and decently priced. we've been thinking about swapping out the pot to something slilghtly easier to adjust (ie 10turn pot). I am going to be also trying the TC's afroflight32 for gimbal stabilization. (stm32 version of multiwii) should be interesting experiment. I like the opencc sized board as it is very compact.
askman is offline Find More Posts by askman
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 11, 2012, 10:21 PM
manual flying apologist
Joined Mar 2011
6,943 Posts
that should be cool.... do i remember correctly that it needs a PPM input and not individual servo hookups from the Rx?

meaning spektrum flyers are needing a mixer?
Old Mar 12, 2012, 12:38 PM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,085 Posts
nope, the latest TC' afroflight has option for pwm signal input. it is true multiwii port with 1us resolution and full 32 bit. I am looking forward to it as a possible alternate gimbal control. (multiwii has standalone gimbal code)
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 12, 2012, 01:10 PM
Joined Oct 2010
227 Posts
What gimbal controllers are you guys flying right now - thats working? Multiwii? Is that quite some programming work to do?
Old Mar 12, 2012, 01:47 PM
manual flying apologist
Joined Mar 2011
6,943 Posts
i have used it with my HoverFly Pro board and I ground tested with a miniwii controller... until i fired it

multiwii software is a little harder to turn the gimbal controls than the hoverfly config... but it worked well on the ground for me...

looking at getting a new multiwii controller for gimbal only as well...

something like this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MWC-MultiWii...#ht_1938wt_934
Old Mar 12, 2012, 02:56 PM
Joined Oct 2010
227 Posts
Thank you for this link. I never informed about the multiwii! But I would be interested to use it as a gimbal controller. Can you direct me to a thread/tutorial where I can find some info of how to set up the Multiwii for that purpose? It seems very code-intensive. (From what I google up to now)

What needs to be done to the 50$ module from ebay to work? I cant see any pots to adjust gains. Why wouldnt a KKboard work by the way? Maybe in airplane mode? Then - it doesnt have accelerometers...

Or just wait for the Hoverfly Gimbal and pay $360...
Last edited by ed.ge; Mar 12, 2012 at 03:02 PM.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 03:31 PM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,085 Posts
only downside to true multiwii is that it is 8bit processor and does not have as a good resolution. why I am trying afroflight32 which is only 25 bucks more.

for myself, I am running dji-naza and openCC coptercontrol board. they both work fine. naza is simple to setup too. you can't use KK as well because it lacks ACC to keep things lvl. you can use it to take out quick movment though. (so video would look smoother) acc is used to keep things lvl at all time. but this is not easy without a good gimbal system. so, all depends on what you are trying to achieve.
RCG Plus Member