Old Nov 01, 2011, 09:11 AM
Havin' a HeLi Good Time!
Dallas, TX by way of Kelleys Island
Joined Mar 2009
75 Posts
Help!
Using an ACRO DX7 for a Heli

Hi all,

I only posted this after doing some rather extensive googling on how to adapt my ACRO type DX7 for use as a Heli TX. Of course the software is installed into both the ACRO and HELI models but it is the switches that I am trying to clarify.

Does anybody know how the switches map out between the 2 different models?

After reading the manual I must have missed the section on how to use the ACRO model as a Heli transmitter, you know, the part that explains that the ACRO's 3-position "flap trim" switch can be used as the flight mode tri-toggle (N/ST1/ST2) and that the "Gear" switch can be used as the Throttle Hold (or not?).

As for the "Input Select" function where you can set the Gear switch as the Gyro Gain, what switches do you end up actually using for the Flight modes and the gyro gain?

Thanks,

Bill
kelleysislande is offline Find More Posts by kelleysislande
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 01, 2011, 10:31 AM
Mulit-Platform Pilot
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Sep 2004
3,478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelleysislande View Post
Hi all,

I only posted this after doing some rather extensive googling on how to adapt my ACRO type DX7 for use as a Heli TX. Of course the software is installed into both the ACRO and HELI models but it is the switches that I am trying to clarify.

Does anybody know how the switches map out between the 2 different models?

After reading the manual I must have missed the section on how to use the ACRO model as a Heli transmitter, you know, the part that explains that the ACRO's 3-position "flap trim" switch can be used as the flight mode tri-toggle (N/ST1/ST2) and that the "Gear" switch can be used as the Throttle Hold (or not?).

As for the "Input Select" function where you can set the Gear switch as the Gyro Gain, what switches do you end up actually using for the Flight modes and the gyro gain?

Thanks,

Bill
Flight mode ends up on the large 3 position switch on the left hand face of the radio on the airplane model whereas its on the top left on a H model.

I forget which one on the 7 ends up at throttle hold, just set up a heli memory watch the monitor screen.
barracudahockey is offline Find More Posts by barracudahockey
Old Nov 01, 2011, 10:36 AM
Havin' a HeLi Good Time!
Joined Mar 2009
75 Posts
Thank you for that! As to the "Gear" switch, is that the one typically used via "Input Select" to control the Gyro Gain channel?

Thanks,

Bill
Old Nov 01, 2011, 10:49 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,594 Posts
Page #31 Control Identification and Location - Airplane Mode 2
Page# 67 Control Identification and Location - Heli Mode 2
http://www.spektrumrc.com/ProdInfo/Files/DX7_Manual.pdf
These pages might help you out also.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Nov 01, 2011, 11:00 AM
Havin' a HeLi Good Time!
Joined Mar 2009
75 Posts
Thanks for that...

Yep, the Flight Mode and Gear switch positions are swapped between the two models. So I will use the "Input Select" function to program the Gear switch for the "Gyro Sens" => Rudder D/R...

The only switch I do not see on the ACRO model is the Throttle Hold, so I will use barracudahockey's idea to experiment while looking at the monitor to see which switch it is.

Thanks again!

Cheers,

Bill
Old Nov 01, 2011, 11:40 AM
S.A.D. member
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined Dec 2004
9,636 Posts
I modified my airplane version DX7 to use with my helis. I swapped the ratchet slider with a fellow flier who has the heli version of the radio but flies airplanes only. Then I changed the gear switch to a 3-position one and swapped the wires between the gear and flap switches so now my flight mode switch is in a more convenient location on top left of the radio. I did the flight mode switch mode after I crashed a heli which I had already landed (end of flight) by accidentally hitting the collective pitch stick while reaching for the flight mode switch (front left inner switch on the airplane version).

Throttle Hold is usually on the Rudder D/R switch (top right) regardless of the airplane/heli version.
ivanc is offline Find More Posts by ivanc
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 01, 2011, 12:06 PM
Havin' a HeLi Good Time!
Joined Mar 2009
75 Posts
OK, great, now to put it all together...

1. Tri-toggle Flap switch is the Flight Mode selector switch but on the front face instead of top left

2. "Gear" switch is used for the "Gyro Sens => Rudder D/R" to control the gyro gain setting Pos-0 (usually) as HH with a gain above 50%, usually around 70%, and Pos-1 somewhere below 50% for Rate mode. It is in the reverse position of the Heli model's position, basically swapped with the Flap switch.

3. "Rudder D/R" switch is the Throttle Hold

So what is used if you want a controllable Rudder Dual Rate, or do you even need this?

So a little configuration is in order:

Using the "Input Select" function there are 2 switches that can be config'd:

a. Gear (choices => INH, Gear, Gyro, Aux2)

b. Aux 2 (choices => INH, F.Mode, Aux2, Gyro)

So I should configure the "Gear => Gyro" to allow me to toggle between HH and Rate modes, and then "Aux2 => Aux2", leaving it as Aux2

Does this seem correct?

Thanks again,

Bill
Old Nov 01, 2011, 12:53 PM
S.A.D. member
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined Dec 2004
9,636 Posts
I use dual rates on the flight mode switch. Normal mode is my low rates, Idle Up1 and 2 use high rates. If you want you can set it up for Normal and Idle Up1 to use low rates and Idle Up2 for high rates.

I do not change gyro sensitivity and stay in HH at all times. You can use the Gear switch to change gyro sensitivity between HH and Rate mode if you wish so. My first heli was setup like that but as I don't use rate mode I disabled the gear switch for all my helis.

As a result I use only two switches for my basic helis (no lights, no LG or anything else) - TH on which I put a red sleeve (actually red silicone fuel tubing) and FM on which I put a blue sleeve (blue silicone tubing). The reason for the sleeves is that I fly airplanes too (with a different radio) and my planes use different switch locations for different purposes. Another reason is that I feel the switches better with the sleeves and have better grip at them - my fingers won't slip on them.
ivanc is offline Find More Posts by ivanc
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 01, 2011, 11:36 PM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelleysislande View Post

3. "Rudder D/R" switch is the Throttle Hold

So what is used if you want a controllable Rudder Dual Rate, or do you even need this?
You don't need it.
Daedalus66 is offline Find More Posts by Daedalus66