HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 15, 2014, 07:15 PM
Joined Mar 2012
251 Posts
No luck on the maiden today , just about 4 crashes. Didnt even get it in the air. Busted 2 o rings , went to home depot , got new ones , and when i was back at the park , saw a servo was dead.... had a few 9g servos laying around , ready to try again... Anyone have some suggestions on how to hand launch it?

Im not actually sure when the servo went... maybe after the 1st crash? who knows.... I did remove some nose weight and add some uptrim.... seems to be balanced at the 210mm mark...
Shark_fighter78 is offline Find More Posts by Shark_fighter78
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 15, 2014, 08:36 PM
Joined Mar 2012
251 Posts
perhaps i just suck at the hand launch, i guess ill just practice the launch move in my apartment..... seems like you need to launch flat and at a 45 degree angle? any tips would be great.....
Old Jun 15, 2014, 09:18 PM
Addicted To Flying Foam
United States, NE, Bennington
Joined Jan 2010
4,694 Posts
I hand launch both mine like a frisbee. Hold the front of the wing and toss it level with at least half throttle.

Kman
kman24 is offline Find More Posts by kman24
Old Jun 15, 2014, 09:31 PM
Old F-4 Crewchief
Schertz, Texas, United States
Joined May 2004
1,280 Posts
SF78,
My launch technique on both the 900 and 1200 is to put three fingers behind the battery and my thumb and pinkie around the nose point. Give it half throttle or so and a firm throw about 20 degrees nose up. My hand pulls away long before the prop passes by. Gives you enough forward motion and altitude to reach the stick for control. There are numerous ways to do it. Which ever feels best to you and most importantly..........works.
fuzzyhead is online now Find More Posts by fuzzyhead
Old Jun 16, 2014, 03:12 AM
Joined Mar 2012
248 Posts
I would never have my fingers in line with the prop on a launch. I know most people get away with it all the time but it only takes once. My good friend all most lost a finger got sloppy. I need all my fingers
Blaser is offline Find More Posts by Blaser
Old Jun 16, 2014, 05:09 AM
Joined Mar 2012
251 Posts
I will try again this weekend, I dont think I was giving enough throttle, I was around 1/4... , also I dont think I was releasing level... if that doesn't work I will build some kinda launch skids to hold it at abot 45 degree angle and try that? I saw a vuy on you tube do a " rocket launch" he was nose straight up with ot sitting on the ground
Old Jun 16, 2014, 05:14 AM
Joined Mar 2012
251 Posts
In unrelated news I have a funfly that should arrive on the 17th... it looked fun on the videos, but I heard its kinda tough to get set up... hopefully I can have it and the popwing flying on Sunday
Old Jun 16, 2014, 05:51 AM
Radioactive Flier
United States, IL, Plainfield
Joined Aug 2006
301 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_fighter78 View Post
I will try again this weekend, I dont think I was giving enough throttle, I was around 1/4... , also I dont think I was releasing level... if that doesn't work I will build some kinda launch skids to hold it at abot 45 degree angle and try that? I saw a vuy on you tube do a " rocket launch" he was nose straight up with ot sitting on the ground
Why 1/4th throttle? I just launch my planes at full blast when I'm hand launching. Never have had any issues with them coming back to earth too quickly.
Raylon is offline Find More Posts by Raylon
Old Jun 16, 2014, 06:30 AM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Jul 2012
8 Posts
Ouch!

TekSumo Vs Giant Pole - Pole Wins! (1 min 52 sec)
after_two is offline Find More Posts by after_two
Old Jun 16, 2014, 10:02 AM
Joined Mar 2012
251 Posts
The guy on the nitroplanes video said 1/4.... ill go damn near full tilt on my next attempt
Old Jun 16, 2014, 10:24 AM
Addicted To Flying Foam
United States, NE, Bennington
Joined Jan 2010
4,694 Posts
That impact definitely left a mark

Kman
kman24 is offline Find More Posts by kman24
Old Jun 16, 2014, 01:50 PM
Joined Mar 2012
251 Posts
anyone ever put landing gear on one of these? or is that just kinda goofy?
Old Jun 16, 2014, 02:06 PM
United States, FL, Keystone Heights
Joined Dec 2012
637 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_fighter78 View Post
i had a mini that i setup for a friend and flew it for a week or so before i gave it to him. lol.

i would go half throttle or a little more, throw with left hand like a frisbee, at just under a 45 degree angle, BUT HERES THE PART THAT HELPED THE MOST, go ahead and hold in a little right aileron with your thumb when you toss it out there. i couldnt get a level toss till i started applying right aileron as i tossed it. good luck. fun wings.
swampflyer is offline Find More Posts by swampflyer
Old Jun 16, 2014, 04:33 PM
Houston, TX
Joined Jan 2008
5,779 Posts
I'd be concerned that a "frisbee" throw may have outer wing seeing more speed than inner and result in a rolling motion. I prefer the advice that someone on there used..."offer it to the sky" such that both wings are moving forward at nearly the same speed. That advice has gotten perfect launches for my 1200mm compared to lots of failures from 180 degree rolls I experienced initially.
dude_109 is offline Find More Posts by dude_109
Old Jun 16, 2014, 04:52 PM
Eye in the Sky
United States, WV
Joined Sep 2013
1,693 Posts
Still debating whether to get a Wing or maybe a Slow stick.....

I like the slow fly abilities that both the SS and the wing have....

the wing can also go really fast if need be,but that is not truly what i am looking to do, but I also like it's really slow fly ability, why i am debating the wing or a Slow Stick

Can't seem to make up my mind.....any advice or comparisons from those who may own and fly both ?

thanks
HGhost is offline Find More Posts by HGhost