HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Jan 07, 2011, 11:31 PM
Detroit, MI
Joined Dec 2010
101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acorns View Post
I can only wish for such warm, inviting weather :P It will hit -5f (-20f with wind chill) tomorrow. And I intend to go throw my Stryker in the air!

Now if only I had a nice 720p camera to attach on it... although it probably wouldn't work. All three of my #3's die within 30 seconds of taking them outside, even if I'm very careful to keep them warm. Cold + cheap 1s lipo is not a good combo.
Wow now thats cold
RADAR_66 is offline Find More Posts by RADAR_66
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2011, 05:38 AM
Joined Jan 2011
34 Posts
Weight

Hi, first I would like to thank you all for such a great forum. Ive ordered two of these from power-gps and cant wait for them to arrive. Does anyone know the weight of these cams and if possible the various parts as I'm planning to power it from the main heli battery via a small switch mode psu. Many Thanks
realpastaman is offline Find More Posts by realpastaman
Old Jan 08, 2011, 07:09 AM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
4,284 Posts
AviDemux

I just wanted to post a BIG THANK YOU to Tom for posting his tips for using AviDemux. I'm sure it will save lots of frusration for anybody who, like me, easily gets confused with the miriad of settings offered even on these basic video editors.
Thanks Tom
Head
headlessagain is offline Find More Posts by headlessagain
Last edited by headlessagain; Jan 08, 2011 at 07:17 AM.
Old Jan 08, 2011, 10:11 AM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
Headles and realpastaman, + 1 for sure, these guys share a wealth of knowlege and experience, makes me feel dumb and selfish for having fun leeching on others work. But If I can help someone I will.... lets face it. Its video, seen on this site, for various planes and flights, that sucked me into the hobby. A good video of a good flight can sell hundreds of planes in my estimation. There's lots of lurkers out there that will get in and never post (again my estimation). Keep up the good work.

Pasta, my #8 is 15.6 grams with soft velcro side attached to top and bottom. My hd is on the way. I would guess not much more. Oh I removed the keychain part.

P.
wheelspinner20 is offline Find More Posts by wheelspinner20
Old Jan 08, 2011, 01:03 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by realpastaman View Post
Hi, first I would like to thank you all for such a great forum. Ive ordered two of these from power-gps and cant wait for them to arrive. Does anyone know the weight of these cams and if possible the various parts as I'm planning to power it from the main heli battery via a small switch mode psu. Many Thanks
There are some photos of the camera circuit board on most of their web pages. I copied one in my Post #2.

So far powering this camera from an external Lipo or power source needs to be tested. It can record and charge while being powered from it's dedicated car charger, but there is more going on in the mini USB plug than just supplying +5V and ground. It will not work with a simple mini-USB plug generic power source. Most likely, the two data pins are connected to each other or ground in some way that will need to be duplicated if you plan to supply power via the USB plug.

You might be able to go direct to the circuit board where the battery wires connect, but that also has not been tried. And the voltage may need to be reduced with a diode to simulate a nearly fully charger lipo to work properly. This camera, unlike the old 808 key chain cameras, appears to have a battery charging/discharging circuit in a small IC on the main circuit board rather than (just?) on a separate one encapsulated in the battery wrap. It is unknown how the camera will function going directly to the board with an external power source.

Please post your solution here when you get it working!
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Jan 08, 2011, 01:30 PM
Detroit, MI
Joined Dec 2010
101 Posts
how do you get the web cam option to work i try to follow the instructions but it didn't work
RADAR_66 is offline Find More Posts by RADAR_66
Old Jan 08, 2011, 02:00 PM
define("BEASTMODE", "1");
United States, LA, Moreauville
Joined Jan 2002
4,370 Posts
To get into webcam mode:
  • Turn off the camera, then plug in USB.
  • The red LED will show that it's charging.
  • Hold down the shutter button (small one all the way to the front), and while holding it, hold down the power button (larger one right behind the shutter button).
  • The LED will blink then flash a couple times, and you'll hear the tone in Windows when it connects. You can release the buttons when the LED is solid yellow.
  • The yellow LED will stay on. It should now show up as a webcam, and Windows will probably install the drivers for it if this is the first time you've used it on that PC as a webcam.
  • You can use AmCap, or just about any other program meant to use a webcam to view the video stream from it.

Notes from Tom:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
There might be a couple clarifications needed? If the battery is fully charged when this is done, the red LED will blink once when plugged into the USB port, then quickly goes out. If YOU blink, you will miss it and may get confused waiting for it to come on. Also, sometimes there is a slight delay after toggling the web cam mode before the camera is recognized by the computer, even after the first time when the drivers are loaded for the first time. There is no pop-up message about drivers being loaded... the camera just isn't recognized immediately, and the video capture program will not see it as being available.

I've run into this several times now going through many iterations of lens focusing.
I haven't really used the webcam feature much since focusing mine, so I haven't noticed these points... Thanks for the heads up!

Taking pictures and stills:
  • A quick press of the power button turns the camera on, and shortly after the LED lights it will blink once. It's in movie mode, this is default when it's powered up.
  • A quick press of the small button will start recording a movie, the LED will flash a few times then go dark while it records. Quick press the small button again, and it stops recording and the LED comes on again. It's still in movie mode, and you should be able to record another movie.
  • While it's in movie mode (and not recording), quick press the larger power button to switch to picture mode. It will blink the LED once to confirm that it changed modes. Now a quick press of the small button takes a picture, and the LED blinks once when it takes it. (I say blinks, it goes dark for about 1/2 a second)
  • You can now quick press the large button to go back to movie mode, or hold down the large button until the LED switches off the turn the camera off.
KeithLuneau is offline Find More Posts by KeithLuneau
Last edited by KeithLuneau; Jan 14, 2011 at 08:30 PM.
Old Jan 08, 2011, 02:16 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithLuneau View Post
To get into webcam mode, turn off the camera, then plug in USB. The red LED will show that it's charging. Hold down the shutter button (one all the way to the front), and while holding it, hold down the power button. The LED will blink then flash a couple times, and you'll hear the tone in Windows when it connects. The yellow LED will stay on. It should now show up as a webcam, and Windows will probably install the drivers for it.
Keith,

Your post should probably be a sticky because the instructions are written in full blown Chinglish. You explained it as it works.

Bill
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 08, 2011, 03:25 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
Keith,

Your post should probably be a sticky because the instructions are written in full blown Chinglish. You explained it as it works.

Bill
Yes, I agree, Bill. I had just decided to add it to the FAQ page (post #3) when I read this next post of yours.

Thanks for the good webcam instruction, Keith. You are now bequeathed with the dubious honor of authoring a FAQ link!
Old Jan 08, 2011, 03:40 PM
Joined Jan 2011
27 Posts
Oh well, I bricked my new HD camera by trying to remove the date/time stamp.
I bought it on Dec 17, delivery Jan 6.
Can only hope now eletoponline365 will be nice.

Does anyone know if formatting the flash card before applying the firmware patch can cause this? In my case the DCIM folder wasn't present when I tried to remove the stamp.
deepinside is offline Find More Posts by deepinside
Old Jan 08, 2011, 04:00 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,650 Posts
Quote:
Yes, I agree, Bill. I had just decided to add it to the FAQ page (post #3) when I read this next post of yours.

Thanks for the good webcam instruction, Keith. You are now bequeathed with the dubious honor of authoring a FAQ link!
Tom,

Great.

Bill
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 08, 2011, 04:07 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepinside View Post
Oh well, I bricked my new HD camera by trying to remove the date/time stamp.
I bought it on Dec 17, delivery Jan 6.
Can only hope now eletoponline365 will be nice.

Does anyone know if formatting the flash card before applying the firmware patch can cause this? In my case the DCIM folder wasn't present when I tried to remove the stamp.
The DCIM folder should not matter. The camera reads the new firmware file directly from the root directory where the DCIM folder would be, not from inside that folder, nor does it need any other files from inside that folder.

Sorry to hear that... I think you will get resolution from the vendor. Out of curiousity, is your camera completely dead... i.e. no response (no leds) when plugged into the USB port or turned on with it's power button?
Old Jan 08, 2011, 04:29 PM
define("BEASTMODE", "1");
United States, LA, Moreauville
Joined Jan 2002
4,370 Posts
Quote:

Awesome!

Maybe I'll even take the time to format it better...
KeithLuneau is offline Find More Posts by KeithLuneau
Old Jan 08, 2011, 04:51 PM
Joined Jan 2011
27 Posts
Quote:
Sorry to hear that... I think you will get resolution from the vendor. Out of curiousity, is your camera completely dead... i.e. no response (no leds) when plugged into the USB port or turned on with it's power button?
No, not completely dead. The battery seems to work ... I get the red LED when I plug it in (disappears when fully loaded). But I won't get the yellow one anymore; no recording of course; resetting doesn't help.
deepinside is offline Find More Posts by deepinside
Old Jan 08, 2011, 04:59 PM
Joined Dec 2010
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepinside View Post
No, not completely dead. The battery seems to work ... I get the red LED when I plug it in (disappears when fully loaded). But I won't get the yellow one anymore; no recording of course; resetting doesn't help.
This is exactly what mine was doing before I sent it back to China. Looks like there is no FIFO in their inventory as Dec 17/Jan 6 is pretty late and there have been many who successfully removed the date stamp with earlier cams. Perhaps someone should suggest that the vendor adopt batch controls or better yet, SAP for processing orders....

clx1
clx1 is offline Find More Posts by clx1
Closed Thread