HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jan 26, 2013, 10:58 AM
Registered User
jaksno's Avatar
Norwood, CO
Joined Jul 2009
624 Posts
Batteries

Thanks all for the battery comments.

The STOL fly in sounds awesome.

Fun Flyin'
Jaksno
jaksno is offline Find More Posts by jaksno
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:04 AM
Why so serious?
2500GENE's Avatar
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
@Brady, 2500GENE has an excellent battery box mod. In fact I just completed it last week. The battery fits pisser...no probs at all. Just click on his user name for this mod and more (thanks again GENE)

Here's a cheap stand that is "very" handy while working on your Cub or loading the battery. I got mine for 10 bucks at my LHS. It's a perfect fit for the SC and it easily breaks down to bring to the field. I'm very happy with it.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/ultra-stand-ERN157

It does come with sticky back foam to line the cradle.

Mike.
That is a nice stand. I think I need it.

Thanks for the kudos.
Really nice bunch for guys here and you all should be proud for the way you help each other and new pilots.
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:18 AM
Epilepsy Awareness
Chap1012's Avatar
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robschonk View Post
Since I gave you that eBay link, HK has brought out something similar in a plastic case with programmable voltages for a buck more...

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html
That would be nice for a "post flight" checker. Check the dimensions!!! That would never fit into the battery box (w/battery) to monitor your battery during flight.

I have two volt meters. My first one is a cheapy but, still pretty accurate.
http://rc24seven.ecrater.com/p/10630741/voltmeter

This is my "go to" volt meter now..
http://www.ecrater.com/p/13174629/hy...balancer?gps=1

You can buy either one for shorter money if you look around.

@GENEYou certainly earned the "kudos" with that most excellent blog

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 01:28 PM
Registered User
robschonk's Avatar
United States, NC, Avon
Joined Sep 2012
329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post

This is my "go to" volt meter now..
http://www.ecrater.com/p/13174629/hy...balancer?gps=1

Mike.
Yup, my goto meter too. Prolly have half a dozen, in my field box, charging station, etc. . Only problem is bending the exposed pins. Been there, done that (more than once...)

North was looking at the second listing I posted, which has an audible alarm built in.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-8S-2in1-RC...item41672c83f8

If you allow for the dimensions of the case, it's the same one from HK.

That would allow you to keep it in your pocket without driving a pin up under your fingernail (done that too).

While checking this out on HK, I noticed another neat voltmeter. This one plugs into a servo port and measures the voltage at your receiver. Great for checking for brown outs due to servo load on the esc, etc.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...e_Display.html

They've got the smaller one in a case that looks like a memory stick.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html
robschonk is offline Find More Posts by robschonk
Last edited by robschonk; Jan 26, 2013 at 01:45 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 02:01 PM
Epilepsy Awareness
Chap1012's Avatar
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,824 Posts
Hi Rob,I have one of those audible alarms as well, although not exactly like the one you pictured. It does have 2 horns with 4 LED's that light up at different volt readings. Guess where I keep it? In the drawer collecting dust. I think I used it for one week (on my heli) and didn't care for it. I hit well below LVC before the 4th LED came on. I got this because the V4 has no LVC light. I went back to timing the flights. IMHO, it's the best way anyway.

I used to use the box the Hyperion EOS came in to transport. But I found something better and smaller. An Altoids breath mint metal box. I put a small piece of paper towel inside, put the meter in and fold over the paper towel so it overlaps the meter about 1/2" (i do this for cushion). Beautiful fit and bullet proof So, eat up those Altoids

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 03:09 PM
strawcuter
Winchester, KY
Joined Feb 2004
284 Posts
Tight Battery Box

I found the tight battery box very simple to resolve. I took my xacto knife and shaved the plastic around the edge of the battery box. I gave me just enough clearance to get the battery in without too much trouble. My most significant problem was getting the battery out without damaging it. I don't like to pull on the wires. For that I took a piece to ribbon about 1/2 inch wide and 6 inches long. Put it under the battery before I put it in. To get the battery out just take hold of both ends of the ribbon and use a steady pull to get the battery out easily.

Bob
strawcuter is offline Find More Posts by strawcuter
Last edited by strawcuter; Jan 26, 2013 at 03:10 PM. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 03:11 PM
Closed Account
Joined May 2012
1,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawcuter View Post
I found the tight battery box very simple to resolve. I took my xacto knife and shaved the plastic around the edge of the battery box. I gave me just enough clearance to get the battery in without too much trouble. My most significant problem was getting the battery out without damaging it. I don't like to pull on the wires. For that I took a piece to ribbon about 1/2 inch wide and 6 inches long. Put it under the battery before I put it in. To get the battery out just take hold of both ends of the ribbon and use a steady pull to get the battery out easily.

Bob
I would say yours is a creative and inexpensive mod ... way to go.

Someone wrote here recently - K.I.S.S.

You nailed it.
.quietguy is offline Find More Posts by .quietguy
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 03:25 PM
Epilepsy Awareness
Chap1012's Avatar
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,824 Posts
BRAVO Straw
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 05:51 PM
Registered User
Woodbridge, VA
Joined Mar 2006
628 Posts
Super Cub Ailerons

I've recently upgraded my SC with a brushless motor, ESC, Spektrum RX, new prop, and 2200 maH LiPo. Weather has been pretty crappy so I haven't flown it yet. I want to add ailerons soon but I have a question: do I really need to straighten the wing and remove the dihedral before I install ailerons? Can I keep the dihedral, install ailerons, and still do rolls, fly inverted, and do mild aerobatics without a problem?
cgschaefer is offline Find More Posts by cgschaefer
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 06:32 PM
Registered User
Joined Aug 2009
2,486 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgschaefer View Post
I've recently upgraded my SC with a brushless motor, ESC, Spektrum RX, new prop, and 2200 maH LiPo. Weather has been pretty crappy so I haven't flown it yet. I want to add ailerons soon but I have a question: do I really need to straighten the wing and remove the dihedral before I install ailerons? Can I keep the dihedral, install ailerons, and still do rolls, fly inverted, and do mild aerobatics without a problem?
Adding the ailerons and keeping the dihedral will limit the aerobatic capability. Depending on the size and throw of the ailerons you may be able to do some barrel rolls. You can go inverted but it is much more difficult than with a a flat wing. The dihedral and the asymetrical airfoil want to right the plane as they were designed to do.

If you want to dramatically advance the aerobatic capability straighten the wing and cut out the center section by 7", or so, and make your ailerons around 14" long. If you prefer a more stock looking and performing plane keep the dihedral and stock wing length.
19000rpm is online now Find More Posts by 19000rpm
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 08:31 PM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
quitcherbitchen's Avatar
United States, CA, La Caņada Flintridge
Joined Jul 2011
5,763 Posts
Just put the ailerons and fly it. Yeah upside down is harder, but you can always cut it later. Cut it now and you won't know the improvement. Put a eflite 480 910kv and this thing flies like a bat out of hell anyway.
quitcherbitchen is offline Find More Posts by quitcherbitchen
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 09:18 PM
Why so serious?
2500GENE's Avatar
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyplugs View Post
OK with all the videos we post of awesome short landings and takeoffs i propose a challenge lets get a Super Cub Fly-In STOL Competition what do you think????
For those who don't know:
STOL> Short take offs and landings. Shortest roll time on the ground.

I think it's a great idea......but I could aim my plane verticle and take off like a rocket with no roll at all. Land into a stiff wind with negative ground speed where it will actually roll backwards on touchdown. But that's no fun.....So I propose this.....

1: I'll be ineligible.
2. I'll be the sole judge on who wins though I will consider feedback from the other users.
2: Videos of your best STOL be posted here.
3. I will give consideration to those with stock configurations. (motors)...Your video must have audio also so I can hear the gearbox churning away knowing you are stock.
4. I will disqualify anyone who tries to cheat, in my opinion, be it by lying about your motor or modifying the raw video of your STOL in a way to your advantage.
5. The contest will go until the end of March. It's 79 and sunny here in Florida but alot of you guys are trying to fly in freezing temps. You should have some decent days to try by then.
6. MY judgment is final.
7. Flypoppa has to make a new video for the contest and learn to speak American English in a way we can understand what he is saying.

The winner will receive from me a Turnigty 3536 1400kv motor that will make your plane a rocket ship.....similar to this one....http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=18119

What do you all think? Who's in???

Disclaimer to follow in next post.

Gene
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 09:23 PM
Closed Account
Joined May 2012
1,792 Posts
VERY generous of you, Gene...
.quietguy is offline Find More Posts by .quietguy
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 09:30 PM
Why so serious?
2500GENE's Avatar
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
NOTICE:
Participation in contest requires acceptance of following terms.

.quietguy and quitcherbitchen are Registered Trademarks of 2500GENE LLC. Non-abuse of these products are prohibited.
This product is meant for educational purposes only. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Void where prohibited. Some assembly required. List each check separately by bank number. Batteries not included. Contents may settle during shipment. Use only as directed. No other warranty expressed or implied. Do not use while operating a motor vehicle or heavy equipment. Postage will be paid by addressee. Subject to approval. This is not an offer to sell securities. Apply only to affected area. May be too intense for some viewers. Do not stamp. Use other side for additional listings. For recreational use only. Do not disturb. All models over 18 years of age. If condition persists, consult your physician. No user-serviceable parts inside. Freshest if eaten before date on carton. Subject to change without notice. Times approximate. Simulated picture. No postage necessary if mailed in the United States. Breaking seal constitutes acceptance of agreement. For off-road use only. As seen on TV. One size fits all. Many suitcases look alike. Contains a substantial amount of non-tobacco ingredients. Colors may, in time, fade. We have sent the forms which seem to be right for you. Slippery when wet. For office use only. Not affiliated with the American Red Cross. Drop in any mailbox. Edited for television. Keep cool; process promptly. Post office will not deliver without postage. List was current at time of printing. Return to sender, no forwarding order on file, unable to forward. Not responsible for direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages resulting from any defect, error or failure to perform. At participating locations only. Not the Beatles. Penalty for private use. See label for sequence. Substantial penalty for early withdrawal. Do not write below this line. Falling rock. Lost ticket pays maximum rate. Your cancelled check is your receipt. Add toner. Place stamp here. Avoid contact with skin. Sanitized for your protection. Be sure each item is properly endorsed. Sign here without admitting guilt. Slightly higher west of the Mississippi. Employees and their families are not eligible. Beware of dog. Contestants have been briefed on some questions before the show. Limited time offer, call now to insure prompt delivery. You must be present to win. No passes accepted for this engagement. No purchase necessary. Processed at location stamped in code at top of carton. Shading within a garment may occur. Use only in well-ventilated area. Keep away from fire or flame. Replace with same type. Approved for veterans. Booths for two or more. Check here if tax deductible. Some equipment shown is optional. Price does not include taxes. No Canadian coins. Not recommended for children. Prerecorded for this time zone. Reproduction strictly prohibited. No solicitors. No alcohol, dogs, or horses. No anchovies unless otherwise specified. Restaurant package, not for resale. List at least two alternate dates. First pull up, then pull down. Call toll free before digging. Driver does not carry cash. Some of the trademarks mentioned in this product appear for identification purposes only. Record additional transactions on back of previous stub. Decision of judges is final. May contain nuts.

This supersedes all previous notices.

Thank you,
Gene
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 09:32 PM
Registered User
smitty919's Avatar
manahawkin NJ
Joined Dec 2009
1,309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500GENE View Post
For those who don't know:
STOL> Short take offs and landings. Shortest roll time on the ground.

I think it's a great idea......but I could aim my plane verticle and take off like a rocket with no roll at all. Land into a stiff wind with negative ground speed where it will actually roll backwards on touchdown. But that's no fun.....So I propose this.....

1: I'll be ineligible.
2. I'll be the sole judge on who wins though I will consider feedback from the other users.
2: Videos of your best STOL be posted here.
3. I will give consideration to those with stock configurations. (motors)...Your video must have audio also so I can hear the gearbox churning away knowing you are stock.
4. I will disqualify anyone who tries to cheat, in my opinion, be it by lying about your motor or modifying the raw video of your STOL in a way to your advantage.
5. The contest will go until the end of March. It's 79 and sunny here in Florida but alot of you guys are trying to fly in freezing temps. You should have some decent days to try by then.
6. MY judgment is final.
7. Flypoppa has to make a new video for the contest and learn to speak American English in a way we can understand what he is saying.

The winner will receive from me a Turnigty 3536 1400kv motor that will make your plane a rocket ship.....similar to this one....http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=18119

What do you all think? Who's in???

Disclaimer to follow in next post.

Gene
Awesome you have my vote and look forward to the challenge
smitty919 is offline Find More Posts by smitty919
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Ultimate HobbyZone SuperCub Help Thread (part 3) ArsonDave Beginner Training Area (Aircraft-Electric) 33164 Nov 15, 2010 12:35 AM
Discussion Ultimate HobbyZone SuperCub Help Thread (Part 2) guapoman2000 Beginner Training Area (Aircraft-Electric) 1102 Jul 03, 2008 12:34 PM
Discussion Ultimate HobbyZone SuperCub Help Thread (part I) TheDustyPagan Beginner Training Area (Aircraft-Electric) 8442 Apr 19, 2008 09:23 PM
The Ultimate Slow Stick Help Thread - Part 4 Martin Hunter Beginner Training Area (Aircraft-Electric) 824 May 31, 2004 02:00 AM
The Ultimate Slow Stick Help Thread - Part 2 Martin Hunter Beginner Training Area (Aircraft-Electric) 565 Feb 17, 2004 11:35 AM