HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 10, 2010, 06:40 PM
Herndon, VA
Joined Oct 2005
1,471 Posts
Discussion
Nobody flies in the afternoon

Didn't R/C flying used to be a Saturday afternoon thing? Didn't people used to get up, do all the annoying things like cut the lawn or go for the groceries, and then hit the field in the afternoon? Now, if you show up at the field after 1:00, just about everybody is already gone. If you're at the field and you listen to people around 12 noon, they'll start talking about all these things their wives are somehow forcing them to do later that day. I know that in general there has been a cultural shift toward doing things earlier (we used to go to school at 9, now every station in Washington has a 4:30 AM newscast), but good grief, shouldn't you be able to drive to the flying field at 2 or 3 on a sparkling Saturday afternoon and find somebody there? Shouldn't you be able to come to the second half of the day at a meet and see at least one interesting plane? Can someone explain what is behind all this?
RE
Edmonds is offline Find More Posts by Edmonds
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 10, 2010, 07:28 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
21,001 Posts
We fly based upon the wind conditions. Usually, around here, that means in the mornings when the wind is absent.

Sure, you can go in the afternoon, when it's windy, but you're not going to find a lot of people there.

Also, I'd hate to have to work in the morning, when it's warm, wind-less, and I have just woken up.
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Jun 10, 2010, 08:29 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,499 Posts
Electrics in the morning, slopin' in the afternoon.

mw
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Jun 10, 2010, 08:30 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,499 Posts
In the afternoon, when the wind is up, the field is usually available...
Wind wimps, I calls 'em.
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
Old Jun 10, 2010, 08:43 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
21,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky Paul View Post
Wind wimps, I calls 'em.
Some don't like the way their planes fly in the wind... Others aren't wind experienced...
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Jun 10, 2010, 09:20 PM
United States, MI, Monroe
Joined Jun 2009
2,087 Posts
Afternoons is usually the only time in the day that is open for me to fly, I will do my best to keep tradition going! Now that weather is nice got to split my free time nice days between flying or rolling out on two wheels. Tough choices!
Tony K is offline Find More Posts by Tony K
Old Jun 10, 2010, 09:33 PM
USA, VA, Narrows
Joined Mar 2009
1,494 Posts
I like flying in the evening nothing like capping off the day with good flying and watching the sun set.
skippy78 is online now Find More Posts by skippy78
Old Jun 10, 2010, 10:06 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,499 Posts
I found that flying really awful ground handling planes like the HOB T-6 in the afternoon made taking off a lot less exciting, as the airspeed was already past the speed where the rudder actually had some effect on the direction the airplane would go when released.
And of course, for sloping, wind is everything.
The Antelope Valley Wind Festival begins Jan 1, and ends on Dec 31 like clockwork.
Those that don't like to do things in the wind don't do much up here at all.
As we speak, the local winds are:
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
Old Jun 11, 2010, 03:25 AM
characters welcome!
Joined Feb 2000
26,499 Posts
Hiya, Paul! How've you been?

I drop in on the Victor Valley gang in Hesperia where my in-laws live occasionally. They have a nice new field and yeah, the wind can be a chore out there quite often.
Then again, it's time to head for Little Mountain or the top of Cajon for epic sloping.

mw
Old Jun 11, 2010, 07:44 AM
Buffalo,MN
Joined Dec 2005
1,301 Posts
Most of my planes are 8 to 10 oz AUW,so I can only fly when its pretty calm.

That means either very early in the morning, or the last hour or two before sundown.
Dan Parson is offline Find More Posts by Dan Parson
Old Jun 11, 2010, 10:06 AM
characters welcome!
Joined Feb 2000
26,499 Posts
Put lights on it!

mw
Old Jun 11, 2010, 10:13 AM
Brazil,IN
Joined May 2010
135 Posts
At my house I fly in the evening last night I flew my Dynam Airbus (DC-3) at 9:30 pm still light barely, VERY VERY CALM I have lights on most of my planes (except this one! ) and I really like seeing them all lit up! plus the neighbors that are still awake come out and watch. Seems like I am always fighting the sun in the afternoon and it is far too windy for my foamies.
greenmonsta79 is offline Find More Posts by greenmonsta79
Old Jun 11, 2010, 11:12 AM
Passion
Joined Sep 2009
346 Posts
Quote:
Most of my planes are 8 to 10 oz AUW,so I can only fly when its pretty calm.

That means either very early in the morning, or the last hour or two before sundown.
I have a little 225g Stik (used to be 200g before the lights and all repair glue) which I fly in ALL local wind conditions. (We don't get much wind here) At the local club members are used to it, but the other day when visiting another club, the wind was quite strong, the windsock was parallel to the ground. When I took out this little plane people complained and said I can't fly it in the wind. Well, I did. Not once, quite a few times. A 8oz plane can be flown in strong wind.

Quote:
Put lights on it!
Yes, do it. I fly this same little Stik at night as well. Then there is almost NO wind, most of the times. Start by flying just after sunset and progress into darker situations. Just a few flights and you are used to it.
Swen is offline Find More Posts by Swen
Old Jun 11, 2010, 11:17 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
25,233 Posts
I just fly from dawn til dusk.

Say, Rob, that reminds me - you left LVRCS BEFORE me on Saturday! I never did get to show you that molded fuselage. I'll see if I can dig up some photos for you. It's the same technique as a molded LE. Less weight, less prone to warp, less work, and more strength.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 11, 2010, 12:08 PM
globemaster
USA, CA, Cypress
Joined Jun 2008
1,463 Posts
Lately, the afternoon winds have been pretty horrible around here, so everyone is getting thin airfoiled gliders and fast planes...
Anyway, my foamies CAN fly in the wind, no matter how bad it is, and it IS fun, I can have negative ground speed
nicoyenny is offline Find More Posts by nicoyenny