New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 11, 2015, 04:28 AM
Find More Posts by diyflyer
United States, AK, Ketchikan
Joined Oct 2014
70 Posts
That silver with black(?) accents really does look great. It was worth the wait
The front 'searchlight' is audacious. The turbine looks very nice as well. Good job.
diyflyer is online now Find More Posts by diyflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 11, 2015, 10:39 AM
Find More Posts by Mr.Atkins
United States, WV, Charleston
Joined Jan 2014
404 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by diyflyer View Post
That silver with black(?) accents really does look great. It was worth the wait
The front 'searchlight' is audacious. The turbine looks very nice as well. Good job.
Krylon "Bright Aluminum" and Krylon "Semi-Gloss Black".

I wanted to add more detail / color / hoses / wires to the turbine, but figured it would just get broken anyway. I have already purchased a complete set of plastic parts from Banggood, including the turbine, so I may work on a more detailed version in my spare (hah!) time.

The searchlight is a high-intensity 5mm LED book light from the Dollar Tree that looked like a free-standing desk lamp. I removed it from the original articulated "arm", then filed / drilled / sanded it and the lower front canopy screw boss to mount it with the canopy assembly screw. It will probably go flying on the first hard landing, but it sure does look cool. It runs on 3 self-contained 1.5V button cells, and the switch is the stem sticking out of the rear of the light. It is Push On / Push Off. I also took it apart and painted the inside of the reflector housing with the Bright Aluminum paint.

I really would have liked to have had the spotlight switched from the Tx, but grew weary of running tiny wires and making tiny solder joints. It's so bright that it may actually be a detriment while flying..................
Mr.Atkins is online now Find More Posts by Mr.Atkins
Old Aug 18, 2015, 11:21 PM
Find More Posts by kiwi_craig
Slideways at warp speed.......
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Mar 2014
2,389 Posts
been experimenting with trimmed rotor blades on the 071 and 067 with superb results. Learning form the superb V930 setup, thin blades, high head speed = very good flight manners. Dramatic improvement to the 071 flight manners and good bye nose bob from the 071 6 axis board. Turns out the bob is induced by the heavily pitched blades making a significant thrust change when the nose goes up a fraction and the pcb then responds to level it out, resulting lag = FX nose bob effect. trimmed blades, and higher head speed via a bigger pinion, and this things are flying as smooth as silk in comparison. trimmed rotor blades and plus one on the pinion on the FX - V915 FBL brushless setup coming up !
kiwi_craig is offline Find More Posts by kiwi_craig
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: V930 CF driveshaft
Old Aug 19, 2015, 11:44 PM
Find More Posts by subpixel
United Kingdom, England, Nottingham
Joined Dec 2007
1,192 Posts
only took them 16 months but we finally have a bnf kit, $52 with code Doncu7
subpixel is online now Find More Posts by subpixel
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini Naze32 Flight Controller
Old Aug 20, 2015, 12:23 AM
Find More Posts by Mr.Atkins
United States, WV, Charleston
Joined Jan 2014
404 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by subpixel View Post
only took them 16 months but we finally have a bnf kit, $52 with code Doncu7
Far out. Looks like I'll be getting another soon.
Mr.Atkins is online now Find More Posts by Mr.Atkins
Old Aug 20, 2015, 12:48 AM
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Mar 2014
2,389 Posts
tempting........... but I 'm thinking the 4FM200 walkera will be my next scale bird ............
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 21, 2015, 09:42 AM
Find More Posts by dankar04
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
12,882 Posts
The three bladed FBL head on 4f200 LM works very well. If you like Micro helis and Scale its all there. Plus bl motor/ shaft drive. Stock servos are same as Master c/p and should be changed to m/g. WK7-6-9's. I have both helis and 4f200 LM get flown. V915 collects dust.
dankar04 is online now Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Aug 30, 2015, 01:27 PM
Find More Posts by AlanF
Joined Aug 2015
5 Posts
Admittedly a noob question here... Logically understanding that added weight is a big factor on planes, I am thinking that it is a lesser factor (to a point) on helicopters. Therefore, when adding weight to this model helicopter by painting, accessorizing, pats swapping, etc., how much is "too much"? Is there some general guideline or rule-of-thumb to apply?
AlanF is offline Find More Posts by AlanF
Old Aug 30, 2015, 02:41 PM
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Mar 2014
2,389 Posts
Went to trimmed main blades and 10t pinion on the brushless 915, big improvement to the flight manners. The trimmed blades result in a better nose down flight profile and smoother overall flight manners. With a FP rotor head and wide chord blades, anytime the tail dips you change the pitch onto the blades and you get the dreaded flare up or rock n roll flight profile.

With slighlty less rotor lift and a nose down flight attitude the tendancy to lift the nose and flare out the pitch is way reduced it seems. Lets just say we have been doing allot of expirementing with the brushless 912 and fx071 birds.

Narrower blades and higher head speed reduce this tendancy allot. Go to try a set of xtreme blades for the 200SR X next
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 31, 2015, 03:58 AM
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Mar 2014
2,389 Posts
Lets take it a step further, xtreme 8 degree blades for the 200 SRX, Longer by 7mm thinner and a true aerofoil..... Stunning sound, hovers nice, had to drop the head back to the short balls to slow it down..... And Holy cow max power shes pulling 3200 rpm....... Might have to go for an 11 t pinion. Battery was done at 6:30. Normally get 8 minutes so more rotor speed is needed i think. The sound is outrageous.....

Need to use a trimmed 912 bottom grip as the xtremes are thicker than fx blades but thinner than 912.

Can wait to fly this !
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by kiwi_craig; Aug 31, 2015 at 05:26 AM.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 06:02 PM
Find More Posts by AlanF
Joined Aug 2015
5 Posts
Since there is a BNF version listed, what transmitters, if any other than the WLtoys brand, is it bindable to??
AlanF is offline Find More Posts by AlanF
Old Aug 31, 2015, 06:49 PM
Find More Posts by Mike Meyer
United States, OK, Goldsby
Joined Jul 2012
705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanF View Post
Since there is a BNF version listed, what transmitters, if any other than the WLtoys brand, is it bindable to??
It uses the FlySky protocol, with some extensions. So the HK TH9X will work, if you get one with the original module. IHK has the nasty habit of using multiple protocols on their Turnigy & HK branded radio gear without explanation or documentation, so I'm not sure if the V2 version module will work or not. FlySky has also come out with a new protocol, so you have to be careful about any Tx modules you buy, but some of those may work as well. However, they won't have control of things like the lights and "boost" mode, which use WLToys-specific hacks to get there.

A Walkera Devo Tx running deviation firmware (see deviationtx.com for details) with an A7105 module will work, and supports the WLToys extensions.
Mike Meyer is online now Find More Posts by Mike Meyer
Old Sep 01, 2015, 09:19 AM
Find More Posts by dankar04
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
12,882 Posts
I use T9X on all my TOY helis . WL Toys V911/ V929 quad/ V915 Lama. Great flying Toys. I have used it for several years and no problem. I don't trust it for anything of value. I'm sure others have and claim good results.
dankar04 is online now Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Sep 01, 2015, 10:41 AM
Find More Posts by vicio911
welder I have also now, hehe
Spain, Principality of Asturias, Ribadesella
Joined May 2013
330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi_craig View Post
Lets take it a step further, xtreme 8 degree blades for the 200 SRX, Longer by 7mm thinner and a true aerofoil..... Stunning sound, hovers nice, had to drop the head back to the short balls to slow it down..... And Holy cow max power shes pulling 3200 rpm....... Might have to go for an 11 t pinion. Battery was done at 6:30. Normally get 8 minutes so more rotor speed is needed i think. The sound is outrageous.....

Need to use a trimmed 912 bottom grip as the xtremes are thicker than fx blades but thinner than 912.

Can wait to fly this !
video
vicio911 is offline Find More Posts by vicio911
Old Sep 02, 2015, 12:09 AM
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Mar 2014
2,389 Posts
flyingboats has had his modded 912 FBL out with superb results apparently............

I need to take a morning off work and do the same ! What is very clear is that the standard curve blade profiles are rubbish..............

lift is being generated by a true aerofoil cross sectional shape which in turn flies properly rather than a crude curved "scoop" which generates allot of drag and is overly sensitive to pitch changes induced from the heli's body angle whenit flies along........
RCG Plus Member